• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Rise Of Taurean Prince

Wurider05

40 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

You say that like he beat out a better option for the 3. Korver got traded and Thabo got injured. The door was wide open for him to step in and show us what he's got. I've seen Taurean on the floor playing... He's a hustle guy. He's a guy that will give his team exactly what it needs, but he'll never be #1 option, 20 ppg scorer. The Kawhi comparisons in this thread are absurd. He's more Crowder/Demarre than Lenard/Butler. Not saying he can't be clutch cause that's apart of giving your team what it needs, but this franchise will never lean on Taurean Prince to be the man 82 gps. Another great role guy that'll have a long career, but not a special talent. Fans never have to say "if" about elite talents early in their careers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you think that Kawhi or Jimmy would be special talents based on their rookie seasons?  Did you think either could carry their teams offensively as they have been doing?

I don't know where Prince's career path will lead, but so far so good.

I would be all for bringing in a shooting consultant. Maybe bring in a Ray Allen type to work with Bembry on his shot in the off-season.

I never understood Bud not playing Prince. I said it after the draft and still say it today. He reminds me of Scottie Pippen.

We all think of Pippen circa 1997, but remember that as a 22 year old rookie, Pippen was also nearly a Prince clone. He posted 7.9/3.8 / game while playing 20.9 minutes. He shot 46.3% but was only 17% from 3 and 57% from the free throw line.  Pippen had to refine his game and he attributes that to Jordan constantly challenging him and playing him 1 on 1 almost daily. He acknowledges Jordan was his mentor. What Pippen had that set him apart was an out of this world work ethic.

Taurean's 1st year matches very favorably to Pippen's, showing better 3 pt and ft shooting, a lower turnover rate in about 4 less minutes per game. I see them defensively as very similar players, with nearly identical measurables and a similar ceiling for Prince. What remains to be seen, does he have a mentor and a similar work ethic like Pippen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

I would be all for bringing in a shooting consultant. Maybe bring in a Ray Allen type to work with Bembry on his shot in the off-season.

I never understood Bud not playing Prince. I said it after the draft and still say it today. He reminds me of Scottie Pippen.

We all think of Pippen circa 1997, but remember that as a 22 year old rookie, Pippen was also nearly a Prince clone. He posted 7.9/3.8 / game while playing 20.9 minutes. He shot 46.3% but was only 17% from 3 and 57% from the free throw line.  Pippen had to refine his game and he attributes that to Jordan constantly challenging him and playing him 1 on 1 almost daily. He acknowledges Jordan was his mentor. What Pippen had that set him apart was an out of this world work ethic.

Taurean's 1st year matches very favorably to Pippen's, showing better 3 pt and ft shooting, a lower turnover rate in about 4 less minutes per game. I see them defensively as very similar players, with nearly identical measurables and a similar ceiling for Prince. What remains to be seen, does he have a mentor and a similar work ethic like Pippen.

There are some similarities. This draft might end up like Dennis draft where the best players are from 10 to 30 and not 1-9

• Like 2

We need to stop well short of the Kawhi comparisons tho.  Prince will never have his hands or coach, the two biggest factors of his dominance.  Had he gone anywhere else he'd be Harrison Barnes-ish.

I just want him to be a healthy 2015 Demarre on steroids: a hard-ass glue guy who shoots 50% on open threes.  Perfect fit for the squad and what we've been lacking since Junk left.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2017 at 7:42 PM, DS5 said:

It's a lot easier to fix a jumpshot than defense. You can't really teach defense, you can teach a bad defender to play within a certain scheme, but I honestly don't remember a bad defender becoming a good one. But look at players like Jason Kidd and our own Calderon who couldnt shoot anything.. 

Somehow I don't think Mookie ever got the memo.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I don't think Taurean has the ability to average 20 PPG. What I've seen with him is spot on from the reports outside of one thing, he can post up mismatches.

He can attack closeouts without much issue, is a good open floor player, is good at moving off the ball, and is a solid perimeter shooter (better than what the number was in the regular season). He is a good defensive prospect, but because of the Baylor zone scheme, we're not totally sure about how it will translate and really what I've seen this season and the playoffs, I'd say it's inconclusive on how good he can be defensively for now. Had some great moments but got burned a number of times off the ball, and that zone scheme muscle memory is at fault.

He is not good at creating his own offense, and while a solid perimeter shooter, isn't elite.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:55 PM, hazer said:

Fix daFro's shot and there's a bright future in Menace, Fro, and Prince as Hawks starting 1, 2, and 3. Time to draft future 4 and 5.

Yeah, let Hardaway walk. He's not going to be worth the 20+ mil a year he'll command. 

• Moderators
Just now, macdaddy said:

Do we get some kind of compensation if another team signs him or am i thinking of baseball?

You are thinking of baseball.  We either match the offer he signs with another team or lose him for nothing.

On 4/24/2017 at 5:32 AM, thecampster said:

Three words: Kyle Korver...

Not only will he be our "shooting consultant", he'll eventually be in a suit sitting directly to Bud's left. And possible eventual successor. Bookmarking this post ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

You are thinking of baseball.  We either match the offer he signs with another team or lose him for nothing.

When did the days of signing and trading for a restricted free agent end? I think I had this debate with another squawker...hmmm...but I guess you are saying SnT of restricted free agents is no longer allowed?

@macdaddy By the way, last month when we were hot for Butler and wanted to trade for him. I said then that I really didn't wanna include Prince in the deal. Now there's no way in hell I'd include him in any trade for Butler, Paul George or anyone else. This kid is special.

18 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

When did the days of signing and trading for a restricted free agent end? I think I had this debate with another squawker...hmmm...but I guess you are saying SnT of restricted free agents is no longer allowed?

You can still sign and trade, but it doesn't happen as often.

What I don't think you can do, is perform a sign and trade AND package players with it.

Like, and I may be wrong, I don't think you can sign and trade so and so and add two so and so's plus a pick and trade that all together. I think it has to happen separately and it may be different on the receiving team's end.

But no, the sign and trade still exists,