Hawks interested in Noel

johnnyde

• Premium Member

Because...

(a) He's just 23

(b) He profiles as a young Tyson Chandler-type

(c) He is a big who can pass, and thus is amenable to the offense

(d) 0-6 year players' max is lower (25%), and

(e) The cap projection is set to jump it up 10% next year...

Count me with those who have nearly zero problem with offering Noel the max.

"Nearly," just that I'd want to review things with the medical part to ensure there's nothing that predicts chronic trouble in that way.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

They set all the terms.  

Personally, I would like to get Noel but even as a UK fan I wouldn't want to see us max him.  He is really good defensively but isn't a good enough rebounder to consider maxing given his offensive limitations.

I'd rather get Reed for lesser money.  Noel can't stay healthy, and he's a mediocre rebounder and has no offensive game.  He is the reincarnation of Theo Ratliff.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

Because of the falling dollar/pound exchange rate?

An aside amusing maybe only to me.... I happen to be a graduate of that particular institution, and when I wear the commencement regalia robe (as people like me have to do a couple of times a year) with the "UK" emblem on the front, it's become just routine that someone... ostensibly with a graduate degree, if not a terminal one... will come up to me and say something like, "wow, what was it like to go to school in England?"

• Premium Member

I'm just going to trust Schlenk's judgment on this one. I like, don't love, the player. But whereas he'd never be worth $35m/4 years, in this environment, it's at least plausible that he's worth $25m/4 years, and the Bird rights that would be had when he's just 27. So, I'll have whatever the Colonel is cooking up.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Flight said:

I'd love to see Nerlens on our team, I know if anyone can improve a player offensively it's us lol him and Collins would be a perfect combination to offset weaknesses

You'd think, right?

But I'm cautious about that theory, though, because a player whose offensive skill set could favorably compare to Collins' just played beside him in Philly for awhile (Okafor), and that never seemed to go well.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

You'd think, right?

But I'm cautious about that theory, though, because a player whose offensive skill set could favorably compare to Collins' just played beside him in Philly for awhile (Okafor), and that never seemed to go well.

That had everything to do with all 3 are legit centers and none of them have any mid range or out side shooting. Collins at PF and Noel at C would work.

38 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

We would have to release crawfish or renounce THJr first before a offersheet.

No we don't. Because deals aren't final for a few days...we could line this up ahead of time. THj's hold is less than 7 mil.  With Craw we sit at 77.5 million in cap (not including THj.  $12 million is a fair offer for Noel and would complicate things for Dallas.  Dallas' cap number right now is $59.7 million but does not include the Team options on Dirk $25mil, Harris, 4.4 mil, Bussino 1.3 mil, Finney-Smith 1.3 mil and Hammons 1.3 mil. They have $34 million in Team Options right now which effective takes them right up to a few million before the cap. So if they take their options or just Nowitski +2 others, a $12 million offer for Noel caps them out and they need help this year.  $12 mil for Noel (or Olynyk) wins the player and helps us tremendously until Collins has a handle on NBA defense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not one of the big prediction people around here, but I look at my calendar, and 11:59 am ET July 6 is nearly upon us... significant for this reason...

2017-07-05_1333.png

... I look for an offer to be made in the next 24 hours, though whether it is a max offer and whether it is actually signed is another story. With that, I look for us to do something with Crawford in order to make accommodations.

Related... Woj is reporting that the Lakers are in on Waiters, and that a decision is expected soon... if they lose out to the Heat or Knicks on that one, I suspect that will amp up LAL's receptivity to a Crawford deal of some sort.

27 minutes ago, sturt said:

You'd think, right?

You could definitely think differently of this one just do to the sizeable difference in athleticism between Collins and Okafor

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That had everything to do with all 3 are legit centers and none of them have any mid range or out side shooting. Collins at PF and Noel at C would work.

19 minutes ago, Flight said:

You could definitely think differently of this one just do to the sizeable difference in athleticism between Collins and Okafor

I wish I could say differently, but I don't see any more mid-range or outside game displayed in Collins' highlight clips than i do from Okafor's. And regarding "athleticism," yes, Collins is probably a better leaper and is almost certainly faster than Okafor, if that's what you're getting at. That said, for his size, Okafor as far as I ever knew has been thought to be particularly athletic... very coordinated, excellent timing and all that.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

No we don't. Because deals aren't final for a few days...we could line this up ahead of time. THj's hold is less than 7 mil.  With Craw we sit at 77.5 million in cap (not including THj.  $12 million is a fair offer for Noel and would complicate things for Dallas.  Dallas' cap number right now is $59.7 million but does not include the Team options on Dirk $25mil, Harris, 4.4 mil, Bussino 1.3 mil, Finney-Smith 1.3 mil and Hammons 1.3 mil. They have $34 million in Team Options right now which effective takes them right up to a few million before the cap. So if they take their options or just Nowitski +2 others, a $12 million offer for Noel caps them out and they need help this year.  $12 mil for Noel (or Olynyk) wins the player and helps us tremendously until Collins has a handle on NBA defense.

I think Dallas matches a $12M starting salary on a new contract with a huge grin on their face.  They expect to pay more than $12M for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

No doubt I would like us to get him, just dont think Dallas will let him leave.