Hawks interested in Noel

johnnyde

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Flight said:

I think Nerlens may be one of the few players I'd be ok with seeing us Max, given his age and potential 

and his injury history, his maturity issues, his limited offensive game.   He is not remotely worth a max contract.  He is more hype then anything ... I think he is a good player but not a great player.  Good players do not deserve a max contract.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Maybe but that limits them this year as they hold the option on Dirk.

Think Dallas is pretty committed to building around Dennis Smith Jr, Harrison Barnes, and Nerlens Noel long term. I don't think they'd let Dirk's last year(s) hold them back from securing their future. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

and his injury history, his maturity issues, his limited offensive game.   He is not remotely worth a max contract.  He is more hype then anything ... I think he is a good player but not a great player.  Good players do not deserve a max contract.  

You do realize that just being considered above average starter is now grounds for max contracts? The idea of what a max player should be is like from 2007. No one is going to get Noel on less than whatever a RFA at his age/service can get on a full max deal. And even then Dallas will match it.

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You do realize that just being considered above average starter is now grounds for max contracts? The idea of what a max player should be is like from 2007. No one is going to get Noel on less than whatever a RFA at his age/service can get on a full max deal. And even then Dallas will match it.

I don't think we use up a bunch of cap space on limited player like Noel.  I like his D but I don't like the rest of his game or his injury history.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

I think he is a good player but not a great player

Not many 23 year olds are great players.

But some become great players.

Figuring out who will be one and who won't be one is what separates paid scouts from unemployed scouts, of course.

• Premium Member

Personally haven't studied it, but it's been said by generally reliable souls that we need to move the Crawford contract for some room, or do something to resolve the Hardaway cap hold.

6 hours ago, AHF said:

I think Dallas matches a $12M starting salary on a new contract with a huge grin on their face.  They expect to pay more than $12M for him.

Well, the market for restricted free agents is lower than for "free agents" because an offer to an RFA ties up money from the offering team during the match period.  Very typically lower offers for RFA's.

5 hours ago, AHF said:

The Theo Ratliff comparison is pretty good so far in his young career.

That's a really good comparison.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Personally haven't studied it, but it's been said by generally reliable souls that we need to move the Crawford contract for some room, or do something to resolve the Hardaway cap hold.

Again....Hardaway's cap hold is negligible right now.  The second someone signs him, that amount is added to our cap until we either A) sign him (and thereby becomes his new number) or B) we don't match at which point his current hold is released.  The hold is effectively the amount we extended in the qualifying offer as I understand it....the language is a bit confusing as its either or and I believe in his case its the either.  So for the purposes of cap, if he doesn't receive an offer before the other deals become finalized, it is his tender offer that is used for his cap hold.  Right now we have enough money to offer Noel about $20 mil starting (which would be idiotic by the way).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don't think we use up a bunch of cap space on limited player like Noel.  I like his D but I don't like the rest of his game or his injury history.

If we did, then it's another move to question the new GM on.

6 hours ago, Flight said:

I think Nerlens may be one of the few players I'd be ok with seeing us Max, given his age and potential 

Potential? He averages 8pts a game and 5 rebounds in his 3rd year in the league...and you want to give him a Max contract....Wow...just Wow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, capstone21 said:

He is a good defensive player but do we really want to max this guy out?  He really doesn't bring anything to the offensive end and he is oft injured.  I like that we are interested in him but we shouldn't overpay for him.  Grab Green and Reed and be done with it

Yep this. No way you give the max to Noel. At best he's Theo Ratliff and would anyone have maxed him out back in the day? 

41 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Potential? He averages 8pts a game and 5 rebounds in his 3rd year in the league...and you want to give him a Max contract....Wow...just Wow

14 ppg - 11 rebs per 36 minutes.

I don't know about giving him the max, but he is an impactful player on the defensive end.  One of the better young center prospects in the NBA.

LOL . . who was it in the other thread that said that Hawks fans will never agree on who they want at center?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

14 ppg - 11 rebs per 36 minutes.

I don't know about giving him the max, but he is an impactful player on the defensive end.  One of the better young center prospects in the NBA.

LOL . . who was it in the other thread that said that Hawks fans will never agree on who they want at center?

You forgot the narrative here.......he has to be a 3pt shooter, not rebound or block shots....

• Like 2

I would love to have noel here. But not on a max contract. Maxing a guy like him handcuffs a team to mediocrity.

Look at championship teams and who they max. Superstar players. Then they supplement their roster with  role players on reasonable deals. Not max them out. 

• Like 4