• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PF and C required

Final_quest

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I'd be ok with either Mason Plumlee or Willie Reed at the 5. I don't think Noel is realistic, even if we try to max him, which I don't think it's a good idea, Mavs will probably match.

Also very interested to see if we can get Reed or Plumlee on a nice priced deal.  

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

Appreciate the post.  More reason why the NBA is awful.  Their salary cap is the most confusing in sports.  

4 hours ago, Kimsey said:

The narrative of competing at all cost doesn't fit with the Hawks timeline right now. This roster  of young guys under direct financial control consists of:

Bembry - 23

Collins - 19

Hardaway - 25

Dorsey - 21

Prince - 23

Dennis - 23

Stone - 20

Gazemore and Plumlee are contracts Schlenk has to sit on until something presents itself. He needs flexibility for the 2018 and 2019 offseason. 

I have a serious question about this:  Let's say for the sake of argument that we'll only be bad for 3 or 4 years.  That means that if by chance some of our young players become genuinely great players, their contracts will soon be up for renewal.  That means we have to pay big money to keep them (don't have much of a track record of that).  If we do pay to keep them, then we are cap strangled.  We then have to either decide to be cap strangled and go with what we've got, or start the rebuild once again.  It seems to me that this is an unending cycle.  What am I missing?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I have a serious question about this:  Let's say for the sake of argument that we'll only be bad for 3 or 4 years.  That means that if by chance some of our young players become genuinely great players, their contracts will soon be up for renewal.  That means we have to pay big money to keep them (don't have much of a track record of that).  If we do pay to keep them, then we are cap strangled.  We then have to either decide to be cap strangled and go with what we've got, or start the rebuild once again.  It seems to me that this is an unending cycle.  What am I missing?

The age part

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The age part

Good young players don't wait on a team to turn the corner.  They go running for their chance to be on a "super team."  I don't see age as being that big of a factor in this particular issue.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Good young players don't wait on a team to turn the corner.  They go running for their chance to be on a "super team."  I don't see age as being that big of a factor in this particular issue.

5 1st round draft picks over the next 2 years equals a lot of young talent to go along with our young vets.  Millsap was too old and expensive

Just now, Peoriabird said:

5 1st round draft picks over the next 2 years equals a lot of young talent to go along with our young vets.  Millsap was too old

Whose contracts come up for renewal in a 2 year time frame.  I'd like to think we'd pay to keep the good ones, but you never know what will happen.  Ressler talks a good game about being willing to go into the luxury tax, but hasn't shown anything in that regard thus far.

• Premium Member
Just now, Watchman said:

Whose contracts come up for renewal in a 2 year time frame.  I'd like to think we'd pay to keep the good ones, but you never know what will happen.  Ressler talks a good game about being willing to go into the luxury tax, but hasn't shown anything in that regard thus far.

The Hawks won't have to go over the cap to sign their young vets let alone the luxury tax.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks won't have to go over the cap to sign their young vets let alone the luxury tax.

We shall see.  If not, then perhaps their quality is not top level or near top level.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Which means we are probably stick with Muscala :ahf:

You wash your mouth out with soap right this very instant!

• Premium Member
Just now, GameTime said:

I think Schlenk is gonna try to poision pill Dallas in order to acquire RFA Nerlens Noel.

Why would Dallas not match..Dirk just signed for $5 mil per year over 2. Don't waste your time Schlenk

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Why would Dallas not match..Dirk just signed for $5 mil per year over 2. Don't waste your time Schlenk

Noel seems to be a permanent member of the injured list anyway.  I'd rather pursue Reed.

2 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Y'all who think we missed out on olynk...you realize he just got paid 12+? Every celtic fan is happy to see him go. 

I'm glad we didn't get him personally.  I'd prefer Reed.  Maybe since Miami paid for Olynyk, they won't pay to re-up Reed.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 2