• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PF and C required

Final_quest

So far I can't see that we've nailed down any reliable bigs.  We have an emergency C in Plumlee.  A raw PF rookie that we hope can play backup.  Finally a D league level 2nd year C from the Clippers.  

I could see us bringing back Ilyasova, but still leaves us needing two starters.  Who does everyone see starting at PF and C next year?  

We're probably going to sign olynk if I had to guess. We may get back illayasova on good deal...maybe even bring in reed.

still too early to tell but there's players out there than can fill the big man positions. Maybe not good players but decent fillers.

9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

So far I can't see that we've nailed down any reliable bigs.  We have an emergency C in Plumlee.  A raw PF rookie that we hope can play backup.  Finally a D league level 2nd year C from the Clippers.  

I could see us bringing back Ilyasova, but still leaves us needing two starters.  Who does everyone see starting at PF and C next year?  

I think in an ideal situation, you find a way to sign Kelly Olynyk and sign Mason Plumlee to an offer sheet.  

56 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Looks like Pacers moving in on Olynyk.  

Schlenk is sitting on his ass not doing anything right now.  He's truly going to bottom this roster out and fill out the rest of the roster with DLeague players it appears.

If he tanks this roster out, then he should be fired if the team doesn't win 55+ games within 4 years.

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Schlenk is sitting on his ass not doing anything right now.  He's truly going to bottom this roster out and fill out the rest of the roster with DLeague players it appears.

If he tanks this roster out, then he should be fired if the team doesn't win 55+ games within 4 years.

I really hope that's not the case! I don't understand tanking in the NBA. You can't tank with young players then when it's time to win expect them to go out and get wins. It's best the young players are brought into an winning environment!

like I've stated in the other thread as long as we bring THJ back I'm happy. I'm extremely confident bud will take Dennis, THJ, prince, Collins to the playoffs in the east.

• Like 1

Just now, JTB said:

I really hope that's not the case! I don't understand tanking in the NBA. You can't tank with young players then when it's time to win expect them to go out and get wins. It's best the young players are brought into an winning environment!

like I've stated in the other thread as long as we bring THJ back I'm happy. I'm extremely confident bud will take Dennis, THJ, prince, Collins to the playoffs in the east.

It's a foolish strategy that is based upon the premise that if you are bad enough, you will get a high pick and a guaranteed superstar player.  The problem with it is, most of the players drafted with those high picks do not become the unicorn you want.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Giving him 4 to 5 years i think is fair enough for any GM or coach to get to 50 to 55 wins.  I don't think thats unreasonable and truthfully im ok with him starting us from scratch of  Prince, Dennis, Bembry, and Collins and building from there.

Just now, falconfan13 said:

Giving him 4 to 5 years i think is fair enough for any GM or coach to get to 50 to 55 wins.  I don't think thats unreasonable and truthfully im ok with him starting us from scratch of  Prince, Dennis, Bembry, and Collins and building from there.

There were a lot of fans that felt that way back in 1999 as well.  What followed was 8 years of misery.

Basically, if he's taking this strategy, he's basically betting that he can go against the odds and do what most cannot when they bottom out.......build a championship caliber roster within 4 years.  The closest anyone has ever come is Oklahoma CIty, and while they hit the 55 win mark within 4 years, they did not win a championship.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, falconfan13 said:

Are you going to do your job as a local fan, and support that team with your money?   Not trying to get into your business, but it's easy to say that you want the Hawks to "bottom out", but are not willing to pay to see the product.

27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There were a lot of fans that felt that way back in 1999 as well.  What followed was 8 years of misery.

Basically, if he's taking this strategy, he's basically betting that he can go against the odds and do what most cannot when they bottom out.......build a championship caliber roster within 4 years.  The closest anyone has ever come is Oklahoma CIty, and while they hit the 55 win mark within 4 years, they did not win a championship.  

Ok and most teams won't build one outside of GSW, Clevland, Spurs, or Boston for the next 4 or 5 years anyways.   Theirs no other strategy atleast with what crap he was left with that would have really gotten us a championship either in the next 4 or 5 years.   So atleast this way if he does it it's gonna be all younger players that has a longer shelf life for us the next 5 to 10 years after this big 4 or 5 get older.   As a Falcons, Hawks, and Braves fan my whole life not winning the big one and rebuilding is just what we do.   The Braves luckily are doing a damn good job of it right now and it's looking good for the future and the Falcons did as well with Dimitroff when he came in after the Vick Fiasco.  I have seen it done with 2 teams so far that im pleased with and with a new GM for the Hawks i'll give him the chance to impress me as well with any way he wants to try it.  If it doesn't work then he can get fired and we do it with a different GM and HC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Are you going to do your job as a local fan, and support that team with your money?   Not trying to get into your business, but it's easy to say that you want the Hawks to "bottom out", but are not willing to pay to see the product.

With pleasure i don't live but only 45 minutes form Phllips arena im near Atlanta and go to atleast 10 or so games a year and buy some hawks merchandise we i can.   Im a legit fan rather were winning or losing i go to the arena to enjoy the atmosphere and to enjoy it with friends.  Sometimes you win an sometimes you lose but it's fun while there everytime.   Best part about it is i work at a Sports store in kennesaw so i get some nice discounts on all the local sports apparel and items too :D

Plus being raised near atlanta im use to all my teams being near the bottom and not winning championships lol.  So when were not it's just a huge bonus if i didn't spend money while we were sucking or trying to do something new to improve i would never get to see a game live most of my life XD

Edited by falconfan13
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

LOL.  So "Pacers moving in on Olynyk" = "Schlenk is sitting on his ass not doing anything"  That's an interesting perspective. 

I said it before when you and others were screaming about not getting anything for Sap and it bears repeating now.....please just wait until the dust settles to see what the GM does before you jump to unnecessary and mostly wrong conclusions

It also bears repeating what the GM himself has said over and over and over again...... this is not a tank.  It is not a complete rebuild and he is not going to "bottom this roster out and fill the rest of the roster with DLeague players." 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

This team need legit players at every position but PG. Even at PG, Dennis is a bottom 10 starter. This team will be one of the worst in Hawks history and I like it!

You must have loved 1999-2007 as well then.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

This team need legit players at every position but PG. Even at PG, Dennis is a bottom 10 starter. This team will be one of the worst in Hawks history and I like it!

Cmon supe. There are 20 other point guards who are better? No way. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Cmon supe. There are 20 other point guards who are better? No way. 

Not sure this is that far-fetched of a take. Adam Fromal's EOS Rankings has him slotted at 24th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700139-nba-position-power-rankings-end-of-regular-season-edition-point-guards

You might quibble with some of the individual names from 15 and up, but he definitely isn't better than the top 14 here.

It's not all doom and gloom, and there's still time for Dennis to continue his growth, but we DO tend to severely overrate him #onhere (probably because we have so little else to cling to ...  after all, we keep insisting that Prince is somehow a foundation piece when he's really just a nice player who wouldn't have earned minutes yet on most playoff squads). 

7 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

Not sure this is that far-fetched of a take. Adam Fromal's EOS Rankings has him slotted at 24th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700139-nba-position-power-rankings-end-of-regular-season-edition-point-guards

You might quibble with some of the individual names from 15 and up, but he definitely isn't better than the top 14 here.

It's not all doom and gloom, and there's still time for Dennis to continue his growth, but we DO tend to severely overrate him #onhere (probably because we have so little else to cling to ...  after all, we keep insisting that Prince is somehow a foundation piece when he's really just a nice player who wouldn't have earned minutes yet on most playoff squads). 

Oh I agree. He is somewhere between 15-20 for me. I guess I read supe as saying he is one of the worst. Not thinking about the fact that he could have been meaning he was #20. I'll drink my coffee now. 

26 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

Yet, we have some fans that think it is a good idea to give Nerlens Noel a max contract.  It's the grass is greener syndrome.  Dennis is a Hawk and is only 23, so he isn't going to get any better than he is right now.  However, Nerlens is also 23, but he's going to get much better over the next 4 years.  This is what I see when I read some comments that are made.

The people who are not patient with Dennis's development at this point are going to be in for a rude awakening if Schlenk does allow the roster to be bottomed out, and we start drafting these underdeveloped 19 year old kids in the lottery for the next 3-4 years. 

I wouldn't say Dennis is a bottom 10 starter. I just don't know if he could ever be a good point guard on a contender. Hopefully he improves.

The overall roster is weak though.  No 3rd option type to build a low seeded playoff team around. It's a youthful team but none of the young guys have that high end difference maker potential. It's a lottery status team right now and I'm not seeing what Schlenk can do to make the Hawks better than Miami, Charlotte, or any other low end playoff team. Picking up a mediocre center and power forward isn't getting it done.