• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bottom Line. Hawks being run ON THE CHEAP...

Diesel

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How is that a significantly more competitive roster and Zaza wasn't leaving Golden state unless you tripled his salary.

I'm not asking them to be extremely competitive... Just not bad enough to be the worst team ever. lol

I'm just saying they should somewhat resemble an actual NBA team.  You have to do better than a 20 year old rookie and Miles Plumlee.

• Premium Member
Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

I'm not asking them to be extremely competitive... Just not bad enough to be the worst team ever. lol

I'm just saying they should somewhat resemble an actual NBA team.  You have to do better than a 20 year old rookie and Miles Plumlee.

1st of all what difference does it make and secondly I'm pretty sure we will sign at least 4-5 more players.  Hopefully 1 being that young center from Miami and some cheap young players like Shabazz

• Like 1

If the goal of the GM and future of the team is to try and get the highest possible draft picks to pick the young players with the most potential to become franchise changing players, you know STARS........

then why should we try to make the team 'OK'? Why not just flat out suck? Why tie up cap and risk losing out on top players in the draft for a THjr or Zaza?

Why not play our own young guys (Schröder, Prince, Collins) while positioning ourselves to add a stud next year?

Edited by RWF

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do people continue to insist that last year's team would be competitive this year?  Lets take a look at the salaries we would have had to pay

Millsap $30 Mil

Howard $23 Mil

Hardaway $18 mil

Bazemore $17 Mil

Dennis $ 15 Mil

Total $103 Mil for 5 players

With the above 5 players, we would have been over the salary cap.  So if you are the GM, what's your next move?

I am in complete agreement, steering away from being run like the Knicks and Nets is exactly what we have to do. One Bazemore is to much and with shedding salary we are getting in a much better place to pay players who are worth the money.

I have said this since the Howard trade, we are tearing it down; and it is going to be a long season. But if anyone with half a brain looks at your above salary figures, they would understand why. No GM in their right mind would want a 100 million dollar 6th seed team!

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, marco102 said:

I keep saying this over and over.  You do realize that over half the league will be in the luxury tax for 2018 - 2019?  We will probably not go after any big signings this year, but next year teams will probably dump some really good players to sign their better players.  It's best not to cap the team out this year or next year because the Hawks aren't beating Cleveland, Golden State, and about 10 other teams to get a championship. 

The ONLY reason GH left Utah was his relationship with Brad Stevens.  Gorden Heyward is an Allstar he's not going to change the Celtics gentleman's sweep against the Cavs.  Even if they happen to get past the Cavs, the Celtics will def get swept by whoever come out of the west.

I disagree on GH.  He has played longer for Utah tha for Stevens.  He said so.  Bottom line Utah is a small market team and and cant compete like Boston. 

Just now, Vol4ever said:

I disagree on GH.  He has played longer for Utah tha for Stevens.  He said so.  Bottom line Utah is a small market team and and cant compete like Boston. 

Boston went to the eastern conference finals too, not a bad selling point either. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gordon-hayward-decision-free-agency-nba/

If you read this, it appears Stevens was the main reason he left.  You can say what you want about small market this and that, but this isn't 1990 anymore.  Westbrook and Durant had crazy endorsement money in a small market.  Social media changed the game when it comes to marketing.

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Boston went to the eastern conference finals too, not a bad selling point either. 

I also believe he wanted to get out of the West because he probably wouldn't get allstar consideration and the East is very week when compared to the West. However, if Brad Stevens wasn't in Boston, I think he stays in Utah.

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I also believe he wanted to get out of the West because he probably wouldn't get allstar consideration and the East is very week when compared to the West. However, if Brad Stevens wasn't in Boston, I think he stays in Utah.

I think a lot of players are moving now because they want to win. Boston was his best suitor to at least get to a Conference Final, simply because they did it pretty easily without him last season.

Maybe he stays, but no arguing where his best chance of winning is either.

Edited by Buzzard

I don't know that we can say we are being run on the cheap. We are actually being run on the wasteful. Taking on bad contracts,  trading for and then buying them out. I can't see how Ressler would just allow someone to just throw away money like that. 

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

No... It's the former.  We're being run on the cheap.   It's not just Hardaway... look at all the moves.

Sap, Hardaway, D8...

What Free Agents have we really gone after??  Guys that we invited to camp 3 times but never offered a contract to?  Moose?

My prediction is that there will be no significant signings by this franchise for 2 or 3 years.  Schlenk will preach development while we lose 60 games per year.   Draft Lottery parties will be great.  However, when we do get a good player, they will Gordon Heyward us as soon as they can. 

If not giving a crippling contract to an aging second tier star forward means my owner is cheap, then I want him to be cheap.

If not giving mad money to an average shooting guard is cheap, then I want my owner to be cheap.

Calling Mr. Schlenk. Clean-up in aisle six!

2 hours ago, RWF said:

If the goal of the GM and future of the team is to try and get the highest possible draft picks to pick the young players with the most potential to become franchise changing players, you know STARS........

then why should we try to make the team 'OK'? Why not just flat out suck? Why tie up cap and risk losing out on top players in the draft for a THjr or Zaza?

Why not play our own young guys (Schröder, Prince, Collins) while positioning ourselves to add a stud next year?

Your last sentence is exactly what Travis Schlenk has said. He specifically said he does not want us to be terrible ie Philadelphia.

Accumulate assets. Sign value contracts. That's what he's preached. And as the summer moves on, we will be amongst the few who have any room to take advantage of the values out there, especially the remaining restricted free agents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do people continue to insist that last year's team would be competitive this year?  Lets take a look at the salaries we would have had to pay

Millsap $30 Mil

Howard $23 Mil

Hardaway $18 mil

Bazemore $17 Mil

Dennis $ 15 Mil

With the above 5 players, we would have been over the salary cap.  So if you are the GM, what's your next move?

If I were the GM, and was content on bringing everyone back . .

- You offer Millsap . . . 5yr - 125 mill ( 25 mill a year )

- You offer Hardaway  . . . 4 yr - 60 mill ( 15 mill a year )

- You try your damndest to trade Bazemore for anything

- You renounce Moose, Thabo, Kelly

- You DON'T trade that pick and move out of the 31st spot.

- You draft Collins or Swanigan ( PF ), Thornwell ( SG ), and Motley ( C )

PG:  Schröder / Delaney

G:  Hardaway / Bazemore  / Thornwell

F:  Prince / Bembry

PF:  Millsap / Collins-Swanigan

C:  Howard / Motley

Add 4 journeymen players to supplement the kids ( PG, shooter, PF/C, scrub )

Goal is to have Millsap - Howard keep the team defensively stable, while the kids ( Schröder, Hardaway, Prince ) develop their offensive games even more.  Hawks remain a top 5 defensive team. but may get back into the top 10 offensively.

By the time the summer of 2018 comes around, Dwight is in his last year, and is a very movable contract if a team wants to cast off a disgruntled star player.   And you still have multiple 1st round draft picks.

This new plan might in the slightest possibilities see us get the superstar player in the draft, but have very little around him, unless Schorder or Prince turn into something special.  And by that time, Dennis may be on his way out, while Prince may sign a max offer sheet from somebody.  And forget about defense.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If I were the GM, and was content on bringing everyone back . .

- You offer Millsap . . . 5yr - 125 mill ( 25 mill a year )

- You offer Hardaway  . . . 4 yr - 60 mill ( 15 mill a year )

- You try your damndest to trade Bazemore for anything

- You renounce Moose, Thabo, Kelly

- You DON'T trade that pick and move out of the 31st spot.

- You draft Collins or Swanigan ( PF ), Thornwell ( SG ), and Motley ( C )

PG:  Schröder / Delaney

G:  Hardaway / Bazemore  / Thornwell

F:  Prince / Bembry

PF:  Millsap / Collins-Swanigan

C:  Howard / Motley

Add 4 journeymen players to supplement the kids ( PG, shooter, PF/C, scrub )

Goal is to have Millsap - Howard keep the team defensively stable, while the kids ( Schröder, Hardaway, Prince ) develop their offensive games even more.  Hawks remain a top 5 defensive team. but may get back into the top 10 offensively.

By the time the summer of 2018 comes around, Dwight is in his last year, and is a very movable contract if a team wants to cast off a disgruntled star player.   And you still have multiple 1st round draft picks.

This new plan might in the slightest possibilities see us get the superstar player in the draft, but have very little around him, unless Schorder or Prince turn into something special.  And by that time, Dennis may be on his way out, while Prince may sign a max offer sheet from somebody.  And forget about defense.

What does this team do for you? You would be in the luxury tax with an 8th seed team.  Then what?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Millsap $30 Mil

Howard $23 Mil

Hardaway $18 mil

Bazemore $17 Mil

Dennis $ 15 Mil

Nobody is insisting that last year team be kept.  What I said is Look at all the moves.  We're tanking... Sure.  However, we're not tanking and picking up Assets that can be developed.  We're tanking and dropping every player that has salary and only going after CHEAP targets.  That's running the team on the Cheap.  For us to say... let's look 2 years down the road and see the free agent class.  OK... let's look.  What I see is a bunch of guys who don't want to play for us... So yes, we can be that team that picks up guys who are not so good and pay them as if they were good.

Strong possibility that Nick Young may be a Hawk. 

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What does this team do for you? You would be in the luxury tax with an 8th seed team.  Then what?

That team would not be in the Luxury Tax.   Hawks would be somewhere around 110 million, depending on what vets they add to round out the roster.  They will more than likely be vet minimum contracts.

Luxury Tax is at 119 million.

And with those guys having another season to play with each other, we would not be an 8th seed.  With Prince and Hardaway starting, and Baze coming off the bench with the other kids, the team would be stronger than last season.  A guy like Thornwell is NBA ready off the bench right now, and he'll show that with the Clippers.  Collins and Swanigan will be solid off the bench next season as well.

Good mix of seasoned vets and kids to go out with.  3 point shooting would still be an issue, but the team would have better skilled players all around.

• Premium Member

I do find it kinda odd we're hearing absolutely nothing about the Hawks interest in any players. Like rumored interest in Bog, he's now with Pacers, rumors with KO, he's with the Heat...only Noel left.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nobody is insisting that last year team be kept.  What I said is Look at all the moves.  We're tanking... Sure.  However, we're not tanking and picking up Assets that can be developed.  We're tanking and dropping every player that has salary and only going after CHEAP targets.  That's running the team on the Cheap.  For us to say... let's look 2 years down the road and see the free agent class.  OK... let's look.  What I see is a bunch of guys who don't want to play for us... So yes, we can be that team that picks up guys who are not so good and pay them as if they were good.

Strong possibility that Nick Young may be a Hawk. 

Instead of complaining..come up with the plan...Never mind this is Diesel I'm talking to.  There will be 5 threads of ridiculous Diesel plans by tomorrow morning. 

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I do find it kinda odd we're hearing absolutely nothing about the Hawks interest in any players. Like rumored interest in Bog, he's now with Pacers, rumors with KO, he's with the Heat...only Noel left.

Schlenk is waiting for the last available chick at the party.  She might be ugly but cheap and easy.  LOL!

• Like 1