Leave John Collins alone

Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

Boo lol

I guess we will be close to last in the league as for as rebounding goes  because they will be taking our best guy out near the three-point line 

But shooting three's has nothing to do with defensive rebounding

However he develops think Collins will be starting no later than midseason and if Bud continues his misguided approach of giving Moose minutes at C then Collins may start from day one. He is going to get a lot of minutes as a rookie no matter our coach's aversion to going that route. Feel that Moose should be behind Collins at PF already and we need to bring in a body for C which could be Reed. 

• Like 3

Personally I'm very ok with Collins crashing the hell out of the offensive glass. Just let Moose keep up the pansy end of things, he can hit the threes for us from the PF because he is always out there anyway.

• Like 2

You have to shoot to survive in the NBA today. If he went completely old school he'd be cutting his value in half. If you are a big that can shoot and do nothing else you already get a decent contract. If you are a big that can't shoot at all, nobody wants you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

I'm so sick of people saying he needs to develop a 3pt game. Why? He's an old school BIG. Let him be! Let him develop a nice 17 foot jumper that will keep him closer to the rim, racking up rebs, put backs and block.

Why can't he just be that old school PF?

Chris Bosh 2.0. That's who he reminds me of. Bosh dominated with his midrange shot and didn't start moving out to 3 until late in his career. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

It's interesting that Bosh and Al Horford picked up threes later in the career. I haven't looked at the numbers,  but using the eye test I would say they both became worse players because of the three. I'm sure they spaced the floor better, but neither was as impactful as before the 3. They both became really soft too; Kevin Love the same. 

bingo

3 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

It's interesting that Bosh and Al Horford picked up threes later in the career. I haven't looked at the numbers,  but using the eye test I would say they both became worse players because of the three. I'm sure they spaced the floor better, but neither was as impactful as before the 3. They both became really soft too; Kevin Love the same. 

Neither one of them poses his type of athleticism and Collins is adding all of this to his game early and is intelligent enough to pick his spots/read the defense. Both Bosh and Horford were/are average athletes and don't like playing physical so staying away from the paint for them after they picked up that shot was a natural reaction. Collins likes to go to the hole and show off his athleticism so I don't think he will have the same problem. What makes Durant so deadly and valuable is he is a freaky long athlete that can slash,yam and shoot the ball. It's almost a slap in the face to compare Bosh or Horford to Josh and I want even mention Kevin (oops). Of course I'm not saying he is Durant either but just trying to find a more comparable style to Collins game after adding the outside shot.

• Premium Member

Horf was effective just being the pick and pop producer that he was. So, there's no need to have JC doing anything more than that in this offense.

But then, he's so young, hell, if you're going to try to help older guys like Horf or Sap expand their range so that they become even more dangerous, I have no clue why you wouldn't work with JC.

However.... it might not top the priority list of things to work with him on. Maybe it waits a year or tow or three.

• Like 4