• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Sign Dedmon

Jody23

I hope Dedmon can play up to his 36 stats. If he can the signing is great. If he can't then it is 7 million a season for a bench guy. I like the signing, but wary of the fact he hasn't played long minutes for long stretches. But again, good signing considering what we are trying to do.

• Like 1

Take this for what it's worth but apparently not all Spurs fans are sad to see him go but they could also just be bitter:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269621&page=4

Some are actually saying he's good at defense and rebounding but he fouls way too much!

the comments are interesting none the less but I still say we got a good signing because he's only getting 7m per year. So regardless I'm still glad we got him and I hope bud and staff can fix his fouling issue...seems to me once that get fixed we may have an very good & capable defender/rebounder for a long while shall we hold on to him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

7m a season now is almost like the old lower level player exception of what, 2.2 million or so? it is a fair deal. if he plays well he opts out and we hopefully keep him on a bigger deal. If he becomes Tiago 2.0 then we only have him for two seasons because if he opted into the second season we're still only paying him 7m.

This was a shrewd signing that gives a young guy a chance to make good on what is essentially a "show me" contract while also protecting the team from a potential long term awful contract...like Plumless.

• Like 4

This is a good signing for a young rebuilding team. Not much of a commitment but at the same time maybe he turns out to be a little better than his pers indicate. 10 and 12 for 36 minutes is not 10 and 10 for 32 minutes. 

Starter material for us, probably so. Upside to be a starter on a good team, wait and see but not likely. I think he would be a good bench player on a playoff team, but the Spurs, Warriors, Cavs could not pay him. I am glad Boston could not either. 

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

This is a good signing for a young rebuilding team. Not much of a commitment but at the same time maybe he turns out to be a little better than his pers indicate. 10 and 12 for 36 minutes is not 10 and 10 for 32 minutes. 

Starter material for us, probably so. Upside to be a starter on a good team, wait and see but not likely. I think he would be a good bench player on a playoff team, but the Spurs could not pay him.

The only game he played 30 mins in last year he put up a 17/17 double double. His playoff nimbers last year were 4/4 in 8 minutes. Do the math (x3.5) and he's most likely a double double macheen.

1 minute ago, hazer said:

The only game he played 30 mins in last year he put up a 17/17 double double. His playoff nimbers last year were 4/4 in 8 minutes. Do the math (x3.5) and he's most likely a double double macheen.

I did the math and think my math is better. You are using a very small sample size, I am using a big one ( whole season ). I like the signing but I am not expecting Dedmon to one day be an all defensive team center.

Every Hawks signing is the next great fill in the blank type player for some This guy can play in the NBA, so it is a good one for the money IMO.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Sothron said:

7m a season now is almost like the old lower level player exception of what, 2.2 million or so? it is a fair deal. if he plays well he opts out and we hopefully keep him on a bigger deal. If he becomes Tiago 2.0 then we only have him for two seasons because if he opted into the second season we're still only paying him 7m.

This was a shrewd signing that gives a young guy a chance to make good on what is essentially a "show me" contract while also protecting the team from a potential long term awful contract...like Plumless.

When I see all of the applaus for this  C rated signing... I think of this quote

Related image

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

When I see all of the applaus for this  C rated signing... I think of this quote

Related image

So, I totally get what you are saying but he's a good young center at a reasonable price...

Let's see what he brings to the team.

41 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I did the math and think my math is better. You are using a very small sample size, I am using a big one ( whole season ). I like the signing but I am not expecting Dedmon to one day be an all defensive team center.

Every Hawks signing is the next great fill in the blank type player for some This guy can play in the NBA, so it is a good one for the money IMO.

Your math is focusing on when he was buried on the bench behind Gasol. My math focuses on when he was thrust into a role more like he'll have with the Hawks, starter's minutes. And when it really counted, in the WC playoffs. This isn't the "next great fill in the blank type player" for me, not sure who that's directed toward. But with starter's minutes I'm betting he'll average a double/double.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Related image

Oh FFS, this is a B signing and you know it. Who's the better C we could've signed on a better deal?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Sothron said:

What is wrong with the signing?

The signing is decent... but you guys have made this guy out to be the second coming of Deke.  This guy may not even be a starter.   But to read 6 pages of overjoy happiness because we picked up a Free Agent just tells you how destitute we are when it comes to free agent acquisitions.   We are so desperate that we take a guy who by all accounts is just a plan B player and we make him out to be a top level prospect that projects to 10 points 8 rebounds??  Are you freaking kidding me (AHF)??  Should I remind you all that his last season here, Al Horford was a 15 point 7 rebound Center.   Oh.. not compelling enough...  How about this:  Tiago Splitter as a Hawk was a 6 point 3 reb player.   I know... he's unproven but he's definitely 2 pts and 5 rebounds better than Splitter.. what was I thinking.   Point is don't be surprised when he's sitting on the bench behind Musky and Plumlee. 

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here are my projections:

Dedmon

26 mpg

9.5 rpg

8.0 ppg

56% fg%

67% ft%

1.4 bpg

0.7 spg

0.7 apg

1.2 topg

Very similar to what I expect too. I figure him for slightly closer to 28-30 mins since he's only 27. Which would push him closer to that double/double average I'm hoping for.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The signing is decent... but you guys have made this guy out to be the second coming of Deke.  This guy may not even be a starter.

He is NOT the second coming of Deke.

And.

He IS almost certainly going to be the starter.

To disagree with EITHER of those statements is somewhat detached from reality, imo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hazer said:

Your math is focusing on when he was buried on the bench behind Gasol. My math focuses on when he was thrust into a role more like he'll have with the Hawks, starter's minutes. And when it really counted, in the WC playoffs. This isn't the "next great fill in the blank type player" for me, not sure who that's directed toward. But with starter's minutes I'm betting he'll average a double/double.

You told me to do your math, 4 and 4 in 8 minutes. That is 16 and 16 in 32 minutes. I am telling you to dream on. 

Samuel Dalembert was a dbl dbl per machine too and people here went wacky every time there was a rumor we could get him. He had his chances in Philly and Dallas and he proved there was never anything there to go crazy over.

Pers do not mean squat if you cannot play fundamental basketball that keeps you on the floor.  He is lacking otherwise Pops would have paid him 7 million a year to keep him.

Your opinion or Pops opinion. Enough said. He is a good signing but jeez, 16 and 16 by your math, please!

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You told me to do your math, 4 and 4 in 8 minutes. That is 16 and 16 in 32 minutes. I am telling you to dream on. 

Samuel Dalembert was a dbl dbl per machine too and people here went wacky every time there was a rumor we could get him. He had his chances in Philly and Dallas and he proved there was never anything there to go crazy over.

Pers do not mean squat if you cannot play fundamental basketball that keeps you on the floor.  He is lacking otherwise Pops would have paid him 7 million a year to keep him.

Your opinion or Pops opinion. Enough said. He is a good signing but jeez, 16 and 16 by your math, please!

I never said he'd be 16/16, I said do THE math and it's feasible he'll average a double/double ;)

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The signing is decent... but you guys have made this guy out to be the second coming of Deke.  This guy may not even be a starter.   But to read 6 pages of overjoy happiness because we picked up a Free Agent just tells you how destitute we are when it comes to free agent acquisitions.   We are so desperate that we take a guy who by all accounts is just a plan B player and we make him out to be a top level prospect that projects to 10 points 8 rebounds??  Are you freaking kidding me (AHF)??  Should I remind you all that his last season here, Al Horford was a 15 point 7 rebound Center.   Oh.. not compelling enough...  How about this:  Tiago Splitter as a Hawk was a 6 point 3 reb player.   I know... he's unproven but he's definitely 2 pts and 5 rebounds better than Splitter.. what was I thinking.   Point is don't be surprised when he's sitting on the bench behind Musky and Plumlee. 

I feel fairly confident in saying that not one person has compared Dedmon to Deke. For 7m on two seasons this is a value signing for a rebuilding team. I don't understand how you can be negative about it.

• Like 3

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I feel fairly confident in saying that not one person has compared Dedmon to Deke. For 

Pretty sure he has been compared to both Deke and Tree Rollins on this thread.  And in both cases described as his upside being a lite version of those guys.