• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans making it through a TANK...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Before the tank start this season.  I think it is right that we develop a Hawksquawk Search team.   I believe that for some who may believe that we will be a 35 win team or that Dennis is going to turn it up to be an allstar, the disappointment of this season will be tremendous and they may leave the fanhood.    Believe me, I have seen how tanking can do this to a fan.  WE never did find Walter after the Billy Knight Tank Job.   So.. by the time of April, we will have to review our fan roster and find a way to seek out and find despondent fans who have gone to other teams.   My guess is that many of you will be on the Minnesota Timberwolves messageboard.   Some of you will go to the Houston Messageboard.   Some will just stop watching basketball altogether. I just would like to establish this search and rescue team for people like Hazer who is under the belief that we will still be good.   Below you will find our logo.  It's like the bat signal.   It's a reminder that the treadmill wasn't all that bad... and that it takes somebody to hold your hand if you're going to make it through a tank.

Image result for Lost persons logo

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Before the tank start this season.  I think it is right that we develop a Hawksquawk Search team.   I believe that for some who may believe that we will be a 35 win team or that Dennis is going to turn it up to be an allstar, the disappointment of this season will be tremendous and they may leave the fanhood.    Believe me, I have seen how tanking can do this to a fan.  WE never did find Walter after the Billy Knight Tank Job.   So.. by the time of April, we will have to review our fan roster and find a way to seek out and find despondent fans who have gone to other teams.   My guess is that many of you will be on the Minnesota Timberwolves messageboard.   Some of you will go to the Houston Messageboard.   Some will just stop watching basketball altogether. I just would like to establish this search and rescue team for people like Hazer who is under the belief that we will still be good.   Below you will find our logo.  It's like the bat signal.   It's a reminder that the treadmill wasn't all that bad... and that it takes somebody to hold your hand if you're going to make it through a tank.

Image result for Lost persons logo

That's cute. Been a fan since 1980 and never waivered. Been a Squawker since 2008 and never left, though I've witnessed you disappear for months at a time. I'm not going anywhere, don't have a 2nd team.

I've consistently stated the Hawks will win 27-32 games this year, not under any delusion that they'll be "good." Mentioned that 35 was the ceiling of possibility, only with many "if's" hitting on all cylinders which is unlikely. And that's still not "good." But it is much more in line with the pro odds-makers, who do this for a living, than it is with your 17-18 wins projection.

Dennis may well ascend to all-star status, but only around age 27 if he keeps improving, which were my words. He's not close yet, I've only said he's not mediocre. I've said he's top 15 and has a lot of hard work to do to be top 10 but is only 23 and can get there by 27.

I attended games the 13-win season, and more importantly the season after, and every season since. How many games have you attended? I'll always be around. Will you pledge here, in front of Hawksquawk nation, to not disappear again for months when Hawks win 27-32 games this year and make you look like a fool? No worries, we'll hold your hand and walk you through it :haha:

You know you've hit on the right buttons when Diesel Tank is wasting his time creating an entire thread about you. And my theory about him still stands, only reinforced by this post :applause:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

The most fun I've ever had (and the most active I've ever been) on the Squawk was when we were rebuilding our Hawks from 2004-2008.  Maybe it's just my preference, but I actually enjoy scouting players and watching young guys develop.  There's also nothing like that first playoff appearance.

Losing didn't bother me.  Even though weren't very good, the players that were out there gave 100%.  They played hard and watching them learn the game, gradually improve, and eventually come into their own was rewarding.  It's also, kind of understood that when you are rebuilding...you're not expected to win a ton of games.

Honestly, the only thing that upset me was mismanagement.  We made dumb draft picks.  We didn't make any blockbuster trades - except the Bibby deal which paid decent dividends.  We held onto the wrong coaches for too long.  That's where my frustration came from, not the product on the floor.

Let me not digress though...  As to the subject at hand, when I look around the Squawk...  I see quite a few (like myself) that popped up during the rebuild.  I also don't see a bunch of people who left DURING our consecutive playoff runs.  I don't think things will be that different around here.  We are going to argue over prospects, propose a crapton of trades, and there's going to be AT MINIMUM 3 haters who will latch onto 3 different young guys and declare them a bust after 6 months.

POTW, and it's only Monday :applause:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm with wretch...I love to see young players develop right in front of your eyes...That why I love the current Falcons team...almost 100% home grown. I definitely will enjoy watching the current core grow together and looking forward to appreciating Schlenk's skill as a talent evaluator over the next 2 drafts.

• Like 4

The possibilities and potential during a retool is one of the most exciting times to be a fan. I'm way more stoked for this season than the last 2.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

Yea, it sucks that the Hawks won't win a championship this year, but I'm totally on board with the rebuild at this point.

It's always fun watching a young team develop and we have a great young core to start with year 1.

To be honest, I can't wait for the season to begin so we can see what this team is capable of.  All of this pontificating, while fun, doesn't mean squat.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I guess as a guy who is a former baseball player, I just do not understand the attitude that you are more excited about a season where you are going to lose and lose a lot than you were when you were actually winning games.  To me, losing is among the worst things ever.  I couldn't stand losing when I was a player.  I hated it.  After every loss, I dwelled on it wondering what I could have done differently to help the team win. 

I'm the same when watching the teams I follow.  I hate losing.  I hate watching my team lose.  I've toned it down some, but I'm the type that use to throw things when my team was losing.  Having children does that to you.  Maybe I let it effect me too much, or maybe it is the player in me, but I'm completely miserable when the team I'm on or the team I follow loses. 

You say you have fun watching the young players fail.  Not me.  I have fun when I watch my team win.  Now, I'm not going to abandon the team because of losing, but I'm not going to have fun watching it, and I will likely be hyper critical of their moves during the "rebuild" because I want to see moves made that improves the team's chances to win. 

To me, the only people that accept losing are losers.

Wonder how you handle things when it's your own children that come up short? You don't have to answer if I'm being too personal but this how I view a young team..I view them like I view my son's growing and getting better together.  To me having all of these draft picks bunched together will allow a family of players to grow together and establish a certain culture. The bonus is having a young veteran of 4 years but yet still 23 on the team to create the perfect mix. Certainly Schlenk will have to nail his picks but I have no evidence to think that he won't. So I am optimistic!

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

D - take this deal just to see if this is possible.  It will give Lurker a new lease of life at the Squawk.  Think of the children!

Neither could do it...Dennis could be all NBA and Diesel would still find holes in his game to harp on and we already know what Lurker's mission in life is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Neither could do it...Dennis could be all NBA and Diesel would still find holes in his game to harp on and we already know what Lurker's mission in life is.

Dennis is the next Marvin in Diesel's mind and we all know it. The Dennis bashing won't stop until he isn't a Hawk anymore.

39 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Wonder how you handle things when it's your own children that come up short? You don't have to answer if I'm being too personal but this how I view a young team..I view them like I view my son's growing and getting better together.  To me having all of these draft picks bunched together will allow a family of players to grow together and establish a certain culture. The bonus is having a young veteran of 4 years but yet still 23 on the team to create the perfect mix. Certainly Schlenk will have to nail his picks but I have no evidence to think that he won't. So I am optimistic!

I have a child that has Autism, but I don't view that and winning athletic events as the same.

• Like 1