• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks fans making it through a TANK...

Diesel

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Like I have said before, if this team wins 27-30 games this year, it will be bar none the best coaching job in the history of the NBA, because Bud will truly be making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

We've heard you say it before :approved:

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, hazer said:

No, he was asking me directly. Read my response and what I've actually said.

Diesel said this:

"So are you saying that nobody believes that we will win 35 games and make the playoffs?  Are you saying that nobody on this board has said that?  Have you said that?"

He asked you twice if people on the entire board have said we will 35 games and make the playoffs before he asked you personally. It isn't a fair question because no one can speak/defend an entire forum. And the question already has an answer because we've already seen ppl say they think we will 35 games or more and make the playoffs.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Diesel said this:

"So are you saying that nobody believes that we will win 35 games and make the playoffs?  Are you saying that nobody on this board has said that?  Have you said that?"

He asked you twice if people on the entire board have said we will 35 games and make the playoffs before he asked you personally. It isn't a fair question because no one can speak/defend an entire forum. And the question already has an answer because we've already seen ppl say they think we will 35 games or more and make the playoffs.

Exactly.  He questioned my honesty.. in saying that some people don't think that we will be bad.   SO Next, he moves the field goals and says that making the playoffs is bad...  Pretty soon, he'll be saying that our 60 win team was a bad team.   Just wait. 

I just recently sat through the Braves being historically bad for the first half of last season. Yet that hasn't continued this year. Please no veterans lecture, I know. It's not just about the vets, the legitimate light at the end of the tunnel for me is almost here.

I'll be fine lmaoo. To me tanking means gutting teams, not youth. This is rebuilding and it yes, could mean a bad team.

The only sport I wouldn't be fine with my teams being bad in is American football (both levels) but that is much more of a results oriented and NOW NOW NOW sport. Baseball and basketball to me aren't. Sorry!

(and I almost put soccer in the same category because Atlanta United's star players are all young talent, I think soccer and American football is a sport in which if you're good, you're good outside of an intellectual position)

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I just recently sat through the Braves being historically bad for the first half of last season. Yet that hasn't continued this year. Please no veterans lecture, I know. It's not just about the vets, the legitimate light at the end of the tunnel for me is almost here.

I'll be fine lmaoo. To me tanking means gutting teams, not youth. This is rebuilding and it yes, could mean a bad team.

The only sport I wouldn't be fine with my teams being bad in is American football (both levels) but that is much more of a results oriented and NOW NOW NOW sport. Baseball and basketball to me aren't. Sorry!

(and I almost put soccer in the same category because Atlanta United's star players are all young talent, I think soccer and American football is a sport in which if you're good, you're good outside of an intellectual position)

In basketball... Even if you gut a team, you have to build them back up with Youth.  It's just a question of which youth you want to use.   It's not like Baseball where you have a farm system.  It's basketball where you have young guys and guys you draft.  That's what we have.. young guys and guys we drafted.   People try to make distinctions on how we are tanking (or rebuilding).. however, it's the same plan that everybody else follows.   So.. we're liable to get what everybody else gets. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Exactly.  He questioned my honesty.. in saying that some people don't think that we will be bad.   SO Next, he moves the field goals and says that making the playoffs is bad...  Pretty soon, he'll be saying that our 60 win team was a bad team.   Just wait. 

And therein lies your problem. It's either good or bad, black or white with you. You can't grasp nuance. I NEVER said sneaking in the playoffs with 35 wins was a "bad" team, I just stated that it wasn't a "good" team. 35 wins is a sub-par team (under .500). 40ish wins is an "average" team (at .500). Mid 40s to mid 50s wins is a "good" team (above .500). Upper 50s+ wins is a "great" team.

I don't think there's anybody (sane) on this board who thinks the Hawks will be "good". There are those who think they'll be a 35-win team that could sneak into the playoffs in a weak division. But I've heard NO one claim the Hawks would win somewhere in the 40s, which is just an "average" team. 

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Diesel said this:

But his point was that he KNOWS I've said that, that's where he was leading.  Although he's taken it way out of context. A context which I've re-communicated twice in this thread 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hazer said:

And therein lies your problem. It's either good or bad, black or white with you. You can't grasp nuance. I NEVER said sneaking in the playoffs with 35 wins was a "bad" team, I just stated that it wasn't a "good" team. 35 wins is a sub-par team (under .500). 40ish wins is an "average" team (at .500). Mid 40s to mid 50s wins is a "good" team (above .500). Upper 50s+ wins is a "great" team.

I don't think there's anybody (sane) on this board who thinks the Hawks will be "good". There are those who think they'll be a 35-win team that could sneak into the playoffs in a weak division. But I've heard NO one claim the Hawks would win somewhere in the 40s, which is just an "average" team. 

You are right... there is no grey with me because they is no grey with the NBA.   IF we are in the playoffs then we're not in the Lottery.   If we're not in the lottery then we won't be able to get a player worthy of all the dumb moves that we have made.  Therefore,  if our aim takes us to the playoffs.. then we must be a good team because we're not bad enough to get a good pick.  F-c- Nuance.... This is the nba.  Nuance loss our shot to draft Dwight back in 2004.  Naunce was the reason why we got Al Horford instead of Kevin Durant.

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You are right... there is no grey with me because they is no grey with the NBA...Therefore,  if our aim takes us to the playoffs.. then we must be a good team because we're not bad enough to get a good pick.  F-c- Nuance.... This is the nba...

False logic.....

giphy.gif

Edited by hazer

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Wrong. First you said people were saying they'd be "good." NO one is saying they'll be good. You're fallacy lies in thinking those saying 35 wins and sneaking into the playoffs are saying they're "good." They're not saying that. I never moved any goalpost (fixed that for ya) because I never said making the playoffs is "bad." I just said it's not "good." Sneaking in with 35 wins is actually "below average", not bad or good. I'd never say our 60-win team was bad, do you HONESTLY believe that? See what I did right there?

I have always loved the NBA.  Never really rooted hardcore for a team.  There were teams and players I liked and some I didn't, but never really had a team of my own.  I just landed on the Hawks because I loved the Braves and decided to go with another Atlanta team.  I have never been super invested in the Hawks though.  I consider myself a Hawks fan, but my fandom for them has never been at a high level.  The only team I actually live and die with is Michigan State, but as I grow older the losses sting less and the wins don't seem to be a satisfying.  Life changes and priorities shift.  I would say I am just another victim of that cycle.

3 hours ago, DrReality said:

Consider the best has already been done this year re FA.   I'd be surprised if we have anyone else join the team of any consequence 

Agreed...but the interesting teams to cheer for (or giggle at) are the ones who do well (like our 60 win season) or teams that are laughably bad (like our 13 win season). 

So at least next year in the chat should be fun - do they keep stats on all-time team turnovers?

5 hours ago, hazer said:

Again, for the dozenth time, nobody thinks we're going to be "good." For someone so into "honesty", are you going to sit here and tell us that you "honestly" think any of us are saying the Hawks are going to be "good." Because NO one is saying that.

Good and making the playoffs are 2 different things. I think we wu\ill be exciting and make the playoffs in this truly weak east

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sillent said:

Good and making the playoffs are 2 different things. I think we wu\ill be exciting and make the playoffs in this truly weak east

I think we will be exciting and will be better than the Pacers, Bulls, Magic, Knicks as well as the Nets, Heat, Pistons and 76ers. By default we may not be good but good enough to make the playoffs in the East.

5 hours ago, Sothron said:

Diesel said this:

I say 38- 41 wins. Sober... Ok not really sober but I vouch for my inebriated self.

Edited by sillent

38 minutes ago, sillent said:

I say 38- 41 wins. Sober... Ok not really sober but I vouch for my inebriated self.

I think you win for most optimistic fan.  Why I don't think we get anywhere close to 40 wins...we don't have any NBA starters outside of Dennis.  NBA backups and mid round rookies and sophomores don't win 40 games.  

• Premium Member

So now Silent says that we can be as good as 41 and 41.  41 wins -  41 loses  as we are composed now.  

last year we worked hard and got to 43-39.  So what Silent is saying is that we trade out Millsap for Collins.  D8 for Plumlee/Dedmon.  THJr for Bellinelli and we bring up Bembry... and all the sudden we're only 2 wins shy?

Damn... Future Hall of Famer Dwight.   Damn 3 time allstar Sap.   Damn Most Improved player 9th runner up Hardaway Jr.   Some great difference makers yall were. 

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Diesel said:

So now Silent says that we can be as good as 41 and 41.  41 wins -  41 loses  as we are composed now.  

last year we worked hard and got to 43-39.  So what Silent is saying is that we trade out Millsap for Collins.  D8 for Plumlee/Dedmon.  THJr for Bellinelli and we bring up Bembry... and all the sudden we're only 2 wins shy?

Damn... Future Hall of Famer Dwight.   Damn 3 time allstar Sap.   Damn Most Improved player 9th runner up Hardaway Jr.   Some great difference makers yall were. 

Agree with the overall post that we lost 3 useful players and should be worse because of it but this bolded part just made me laugh.  I am 100% sure that is the first time I have ever seen that used to describe someone.

• Like 1