• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vegas over/under = Hawks 2nd worst.

noble

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Bulls and Hawks are horrendously bad. I expect awful seasons from both teams under 20 wins this season. 

I don't think there's a chance we go under 20 unless we're just ravaged by injury. Going by this link here, we play 36 games against teams who have their over/under set below .500. We could go 15-21 there and then 5-41 in the other games. Or some other horrible combination that adds up to 20+ wins. 

It's a good conversation. I can see it both ways. If a team like Philly takes the next step or a surprise team I can see the under. I would go over, but not by much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

This will be a good test for Bud. His coaching could easily put us over 25 but if we stay healthy and get under, I may be starting to wonder about him....

Bud can do a great coaching job and we could still only win 15 games. The NBA is much harder than you think. We had very vet like squads in the past 8 years. We haven't had a squad this young in along time. 

Talent wise, this is a 17-18 win team.  Having Bud will likely get this team 4-5 more wins than a typical young team would get, so I will peg the team at 23 wins for the year.  My prediction is 23 wins, and they get bumped out of the top 3 in the draft by two teams who have won more games but got more lucky with the lottery balls.

I know we're young...but it's not like we're Philly or Nets from the last couple of years. I disagree with everyone thinking that we'll be at the bottom of the barrel...just looking at our roster, and I know, we won't be contending, but I really think we'll be fighting for a playoff spot come the end of the regular season. 

For as much as we dislike Baze's contract, he's still a very serviceable player, backed up by another vet in Belli and a promising Bembry. Then we have Prince, who at the very least can be a very good 3&D guy, today. Then our front court of Illy and Dedmon, backed by Moose, Babbitt and Collins, is both pretty experienced and relatively talented. And then we have our "star" player in Dennis with a year as a starter under his belt. 

I just don't see how we only win 25 games. I think there are 6 teams that are definitely better than us in the east....otherwise it's wide open. I'll take the over, and say that we win between 32-38 games.

• Like 4

There's gonna be 10 more win prediction threads before the season starts.

Since the Larry Brown Pistons I've always put a premium on great coaching in the absence of elite talent.  Players like Boogie cause me to discount talent in the absence of elite coaching.  If you study Bud I just can't see how you can predict less than 30.  Are there some bums on this squad?  No question.  NBA-level bums though.  The Hawks are gonna be at least watchable for the hardcore fan because of Bud.  The Bulls ain't because of Hoiberg.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, benhillboy said:

There's gonna be 10 more win prediction threads before the season starts.

Since the Larry Brown Pistons I've always put a premium on great coaching in the absence of elite talent.  Players like Boogie cause me to discount talent in the absence of elite coaching.  If you study Bud I just can't see how you can predict less than 30.  Are there some bums on this squad?  No question.  NBA-level bums though.  The Hawks are gonna be at least watchable for the hardcore fan because of Bud.  The Bulls ain't because of Hoiberg.

A number of teams at the bottom of the East got good coaching and a number of teams at the top have bad coaching. 

Vogel is a very good coach. 

Kenny is a very good coach. He overachieved with the Nets last year. 

The Bulls coaching is iffy at best. 

Dave Jorger is a good coach. 

It will be a MIRACLE if this team even covers the spread. 20 wins is truly the best I can see this team doing. That's with internal improvements. Not enough offense and the bench can't cover it us like it did last year. 

I think Bud is a tad overrated. His dream year that's was hyped. The Al Horford injury season, we had a losing record with that team the minute Al got hurt and made it to the playoffs with a losing record. Did we impress in the playoffs, we did but that was more of a matchup issue than anything v. Indy. 

Edited by NBASupes

14 hours ago, DS5 said:

I know we're young...but it's not like we're Philly or Nets from the last couple of years. I disagree with everyone thinking that we'll be at the bottom of the barrel...just looking at our roster, and I know, we won't be contending, but I really think we'll be fighting for a playoff spot come the end of the regular season. 

For as much as we dislike Baze's contract, he's still a very serviceable player, backed up by another vet in Belli and a promising Bembry. Then we have Prince, who at the very least can be a very good 3&D guy, today. Then our front court of Illy and Dedmon, backed by Moose, Babbitt and Collins, is both pretty experienced and relatively talented. And then we have our "star" player in Dennis with a year as a starter under his belt. 

I just don't see how we only win 25 games. I think there are 6 teams that are definitely better than us in the east....otherwise it's wide open. I'll take the over, and say that we win between 32-38 games.

Man, I don't know what you guys are seeing. The data says otherwise. The stats says otherwise. The tape says otherwise. The only thing that you guys are holding close to is faith in Bud. 

As I told @AHF , I haven't seen any data, stat or tape that shows me this team can win more than 20 games. Nothing. That said, I hold the same reservation for the Bulls as well. I personally think Vegas overrated but the Bulls and the Hawks. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KB21 said:

Talent wise, this is a 17-18 win team.  Having Bud will likely get this team 4-5 more wins than a typical young team would get, so I will peg the team at 23 wins for the year.  My prediction is 23 wins, and they get bumped out of the top 3 in the draft by two teams who have won more games but got more lucky with the lottery balls.

Your personal dream, Doncic-land. My nightmare, Shelden Williams land. I think he's a bust for the NBA if you are talking top 5 pick. Give me someone who I see greatness in. That said, I will give Doncic a chance to prove me wrong this season. I want him to. I want all of the guys to greatly improve so we have a strong selection to chose from. 

My biggest issue with this squad is we don't have good fits. We have system fit but they need to ONLY do their role. The issue is, we don't have the talent for them just to do their role. We got SG's like Belli and Bembry who will be asked to create their own basket. Bembry struggled at this same in the SL and Belli has ALWAYS struggled with this. I am worried we will see a Korver situation with Belli. This is why I want to bring him off the bench as a backup SG even at the expense of Bembry impact. I'll rather gamble on defense with Bem and Prince over getting any offensive production as it will be low regardless of who's a SG. 

Prince showed in SL that if you ask him to be more than a #4 or #5 option, he could struggle. That's my biggest worry with him. Almost all of his offense comes off of movement and ball movement based dribble drives. That's not as hard to do as the #5 option compared to being #3 which he will be if he's in a lineup with Ersan and Dedmon.

Dedmon is a horrendous offensive player, he's like playing 4 on 5 for both the Magic and the Spurs but we expect he will be effective for us with a supremely worse squad than SAS. 

Dennis is going to have to take a lot of shots. I think he could do it early on but what happens to when teams adjust and start taking things away. When seen this case play out with Joe in his first year in Atlanta. It didn't work out too well for us. 

The bench is weak. It might not be horrible due to Collins present and we have some decent bigs but our backcourt depth is horrendous. 

The data is even less friendly like I said, 20 wins+ would be a miracle. 

• Like 1