• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Lowe Prediction: Hawks TRY to trade Dennis and Baze

TheNorthCydeRises

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21002422/zach-lowe-32-crazy-nba-predictions-2017-18

Atlanta tries to trade Dennis Schröder and Kent Bazemore

They likely fail on both counts. Kent Bazemore is due $18 million in 2018-19 and $19.3 million the next season. That 2019-2020 money is the killer -- the reason the Lakers can't move Loul Deng, and the Bucks are stuck with John Henson.

The Hawks will probably try. Moving a wing should be easier than moving a big man with the same contract; everyone needs 3-and-D types, but no one needs centers. You could build plausible deals sending Bazemore to Denver, the Clippers, and a few other teams. Atlanta might even settle for another distressed contract that expires a year earlier than Bazemore's -- if they can even find a taker at that price.

We might be at least a year from any Dennis Schröder move. Most teams are satisfied with their point guard situations. But over the next year or so, some of those point guards will change teams, flame out, get injured, or enter free agency again. Travis Schlenk, Atlanta's new GM, didn't pick Schröder; Schlenk inherited him. Schröder has long been a polarizing locker-room presence, and his recent arrest on battery charges had executives around the league rolling their eyes.

Schröder is just 24 -- young enough to be a key piece in Atlanta's long-term rebuild. If he rehabilitates his trade value, he could also net Atlanta more picks. He's good enough to do it. If and when the Suns flip Bledsoe, they will need a long-term answer at point guard. The Bulls are still searching, though they would not deal their 2018 pick for Schröder. What about their protected 2019 pick? The Pacers need to find a young point guard somewhere.

The Knicks just drafted one, but if they think Frank Ntilikina can play some on the wing -- or that he might be years away -- Schröder would be an interesting talent play. (Let's hope New York is not dumb enough to send their 2018 pick unprotected for him.)

Whether it's this season, this summer, next season or July 2019, the bet here is that Schröder finishes his contract someplace else.

Any thoughts on this? 

If there are good deals, trade anyone. Except John Collins. He's safe until we get a feel for what kind of player he is. Taurean and Bembry are realtively safe too for now because of rookie contracts. I love Dennis, but there's a lot of better point guards.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

I think trading Dennis is a huge risk.  Finding a quality starter, even with favorable picks, could be a challenge.

I agree, but he has to stay out of trouble on and off the court. No more run ins with law enforcement and no more suspensions for violating team rules. Nobody would be talking about trading him if it weren't for those unnecessary distractions.

29 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

As a matter of fact, the Sixers could be at least as good (or as bad) as the Hawks this season.

Nah, scrap that. they'll definitely be better than the Hawks this season.

They've been rebuilding for what it feels like a decade. Drafting high just to trade them away for another pick. That was the point I was trying to make in the discussion of trading Schröder. It just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkman said:

I agree, but he has to stay out of trouble on and off the court. No more run ins with law enforcement and no more suspensions for violating team rules. Nobody would be talking about trading him if it weren't for those unnecessary distractions.

Technically no one IS talking about trading him. The article "Crazy NBA Predictions " is essentially extreme hypothetical speculation. We're the ones putting more time and energy into legitimizing it

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

Dennis is absolutely a quality starting pg but he needs the presence of all stars to feed off of to play at an all star level himself.

last year he played extremely well 18pts per game on 46% shooting from the field. 34% from 3 isn’t great but it’s an improving number I feel Dennis can get better on.

with all that said I don’t believe Dennis will ever lack confidence but I’m expecting a Brandon Jennings bucks like season. He will probably avg 20 or more points but maybe only shoot slightly better than the bucks Jennings at 41 or 42 from the field 

as as far as Dennis and baze go...if a good trade is out there why not! But I wouldn’t jump so quick to get rid of Dennis 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't see us trading Dennis unless we get blown away by a deal or Dennis does something else stupid and they feel he isn't worth building around.

I am hoping Bazemore does enough this year in full on Bob Sura mode to get him flipped.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/15/2017 at 6:58 PM, Jody23 said:

I definitely think both could be traded at some point if it results in a stronger position for the future.  I don't think the Hawks will be looking to attach assets to either guy just to move them like they did with Dwight.

This is the perfect time to move Both.  Get enough money to make a splash in the free agency market.