• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

thecampster

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bud isn't the reason the Hawks chose to ignore the back up point guard position in the off season.

Bud obviously gave Delaney his vote of confidence.

No, he was not in operations anymore, but I have never heard of an NBA or NFL team in which the coach doesn't have a lot of say.

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Bud obviously gave Delaney his vote of confidence.

No, he was not in operations anymore, but I have never heard of an NBA or NFL team in which the coach doesn't have a lot of say.

So, do you think Bud had much voice on this intentional tank job?

• Moderators

Bud's short-hook today "lowered" Malcolm's NBA-leading minus/minuser to -12.7.

Bottom Twenty plus/minuses from the prior ten NBA seasons (min. 20 minutes/game, 10 games played):

2015-16 Jahlil Okafor (Sixers) -9.4 (also last season's NBA "leader", at -6.4)

2014-15 Andrea Bargnani (Knicks) -9.3

2011-12 Gerald Henderson (Bobcats) -9.0

2015-16 Kobe Bryant (Lakers) -8.7

2011-12 Corey Maggette (Bobcats) -8.6

2015-16 Roy Hibbert (Lakers) -8.4

2015-16 Julius Randle (Lakers) -8.4

2014-15 Kobe Bryant (Lakers) -8.4

2011-12 D.J. Augustin (Bobcats) -8.4

2013-14 Thaddeus Young (Sixers) -8.2

2014-15 Jose Calderon (Knicks) -8.1

2007-08 Kevin Durant (SuperSonics) -8.1

2008-09 Al Thornton (Clippers) -8.0

2015-16 Jordan Clarkson (Lakers) -7.9

2012-13 Byron "B.J." Mullens (Bobcats) -7.9

2011-12 Reggie Williams (Bobcats) -7.9

2014-15 Tony Wroten (Sixers) -7.8

2014-15 Adreian Payne (Timberwolves) -7.7

2009-10 Jonny Flynn (Timberwolves) -7.7

2011-12 Kemba Walker (Bobcats) -7.6

~lw3

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Hokie-hokie-lo!

~lw3

Sounds like Delaney's PR man who is also probably a lawyer, yeah I know its his ex coach. By the way, Wes Wilcox had scouted Delaney in Europe when he was with the Cavs. So Delaney's NBA arrival was slowly in the works before Wilcox was even hired by us. Very unfortunate for the Hawks. 

I always like to hear Greenberg talk hoops. Of course he’s gonna talk up his guy but you could tell he knows how bad Delaney is.  “He beats himself up a lot.”  His self-beatings pale in comparison to a message board tracking his losing effect on the team by the point.

There was a (brief) time when we were happy to have Delaney and Euro fans around the league were praising the Hawks for being the team with a enough sense to bring him over. It hasn't worked out. Oh well. I'm glad Bud is already giving Taylor a chance to take those minutes. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, High5 said:

There was a (brief) time when we were happy to have Delaney and Euro fans around the league were praising the Hawks for being the team with a enough sense to bring him over.

Speak for yourself...Many were never on that train.  In fact, most were surprised when Jarrett Jack was released.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Speak for yourself...Many were never on that train.  In fact, most were surprised when Jarrett Jack was released.

The two things weren't really related. Most people were intrigued by the Delaney signing but also liked having Jack's veteran presence and shot-making ability available down the road when he got healthy.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Not many were surprised when his health issues became clear.  You have to be careful about doing per 36 numbers for him last season since, you know, he didn't play 36 minutes the entire season.  He and Sessions seem to be competing for some real minutes in NY so wish him the best this year.

• Moderators

NBA Bottom Five in Net Rating, min. 20 minutes/game and 5+ games played:

* Malcolm Delaney (Hawx) -21.6

* Denzel Valentine (Bulz) -20.4

* Wesley Matthews (Mavz) -18.6

* Buddy Hield (Kangz) -16.1

* Jamal Crawesome (Wolvz) -15.9

25 Lowest Net Ratings from prior 21 seasons (since 1996-97), min. 20 minutes/game and 20+ games played:

2011-12 Reggie Williams (Bobcats) -19.4

2011-12 Donald Sloan (Cavs) -18.9

1997-98 Eric Washington (Nuggets) -18.1

2015-16 Roy Hibbert (Lakers) -18.0

2014-15 Andrea Bargnani (Knicks) -17.5

2011-12 Bismack Biyombo (Bobcats) -17.5

1999-00 Randy Brown (Bulls) -17.5

2014-15 Adreian Payne (TWolves) -16.9

2009-10 Trenton Hassell (Nets) -16.7

2015-16 Jahlil Okafor (Sixers) -16.6

2012-13 Byron Mullens (Bobcats) -16.2

2015-16 Kobe Bryant (Lakers) -15.8

2011-12 Corey Maggette (Bobcats) -15.7

1997-98 Tony Battie (Nuggets) -15.6

2015-16 Julius Randle (Lakers) -15.4

2012-13 Ben Gordon (Bobcats) -15.4

1997-98 Dean Garrett (Nuggets) -15.4

2002-03 Cherokee Parks (Clippers) -15.3

2011-12 Kemba Walker (Bobcats) -15.1

2007-08 Eddy Curry (Knicks) -15.0

1999-00 Jeff McInnis (Clippers) -15.0

2011-12 D.J. Augustin (Bobcats) -14.9

2000-01 Vonteego Cummings (Warriors) -14.9

2011-12 Derrick Brown (Bobcats) -14.8

2008-09 Ricky Davis (Clippers) -14.8

~lw3

• Like 1

20 hours ago, High5 said:

There was a (brief) time when we were happy to have Delaney

A poster named "ViewsfromtheSquawk" is the only cat I remember actually pleased with Delaney's play as a Hawk ever. A short lived Squawk battle about Delaney's pure shooting skills when on the floor am remembering. Delaney's defense wasn't even worth commenting on then or now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've had plenty of niceties about Delaney's play, especially at the end of the last regular season (about 4-5 games' worth) and in January. A lot of that was likely relative to how abysmally the other PG(s) were playing, but he gets occasional props when they are noticeable and noteworthy.

My three gripes:

* What is the G-League rule (if any) for a guy like Delaney, who is under contract and not under some injury/rehab assignment? Especially now that we have our own squad? The Hawks preach development, but a year-plus into his tenure here, I don't think he's had a minute of time at the minor-league level yet (unlike, for example, Timmy Junior). I can't speak for the suits on Marietta Street, but I doubt that any fans are stressing that Delaney trying to ball out for a little while up in Erie might work to the detriment of Josh Magette or whoever else we have up there with the B-hawks. I'm fine with the IT+EmergencyBaze backup situation in the interim, however long that lasts.

* Why was Delaney better suited working out in Atlanta, than playing team ball during the Summer League? Last year (2016) he signed in mid-July, plus I understand now with his family situation why he couldn't be a part of the SummerHawks club. But what about this past summer, where he visited Vegas but wasn't on the roster? And are members of the team coaching/developmental staff being held accountable if Malcolm is clearly not progressing?

* I'm sure it's like asking me to lay off Snickers tomorrow. But can somebody with Hawks Inc. pull Malcolm, and Taurean, aside, and encourage them to lay off of social media for awhile? I can empathize with the struggles just to get to this level, and the desire to express one's experiences during the journey. But the persistent "I'm/we're working harder than ever" commentary, given the early returns, is working to Delaney's disadvantage from a fan-PR perspective. Nobody needs confirmation that you're happy you landed in ATL or whatever NBA town you're in. Nobody benefits from "tough loss, but" perspectives, or Pregame Confucius, 2-3x a week. And any time spent clap-backing at us clueless ingrates on Twitter/IG is time wasted.

~lw3

• Like 3