FINALLY. Bud says what some have been waiting to hear since June

sturt

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Cleveland blatantly tanks winning multiple #1 overall picks...

9fcac26ed4670fdfb06beac5d7de11d4--clevel

Golden State wins 20 some games repeatedly during a period in which they draft Curry, Thompson, Draymond and admittedly outright tank for Barnes...

aasb172.jpg

Yup.  Nothing good.

Come man don’t use the Cavs as an example please! LeBron bailed on them, they got kyrie, continued to lose, then LeBron came back with love and a bunch of other reliable role players.

their one championship has nothing to do with tanking. It has all to do with LeBron coming back and bringing good players with him.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Come man don’t use the Cavs as an example please! LeBron bailed on them, they got kyrie, continued to lose, then LeBron came back with love and a bunch of other reliable role players.

their one championship has nothing to do with tanking. It has all to do with LeBron coming back and bringing good players with him.

Not to mention that Kyrie Irving may be the most overrated player in the NBA.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Bud already has one leg out the door. 

That’s speculation man....bud is a wait and see type cause this could turn into something great. So right now I believe his comments and right now I believe he’s behind this 100% but again I can only see him being ok with tanking for one year and being in the lotto for a maximum of two years before he gets fed up.

schlenk knows how good coach bud is and he doesn’t want to just lose him in this process so I see this as bud is giving him a chance to give him some quality long term players.

right now buds feet are currently still in the door. We will know when the first toe is out the door, it will be obvious.

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Not to mention that Kyrie Irving may be the most overrated player in the NBA.

Lol well I don’t agree with that 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I'm just stating the truth of the situation.  Nothing good comes out of tanking.  

I think you are Hots alternate account. You posted very infrequently for years but now since the rebuild started it is a daily deluge of negative posts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JTB said:

That’s speculation man....bud is a wait and see type cause this could turn into something great. So right now I believe his comments and right now I believe he’s behind this 100% but again I can only see him being ok with tanking for one year and being in the lotto for a maximum of two years before he gets fed up.

schlenk knows how good coach bud is and he doesn’t want to just lose him in this process so I see this as bud is giving him a chance to give him some quality long term players.

right now buds feet are currently still in the door. We will know when the first toe is out the door, it will be obvious.

Lol well I don’t agree with that 

I'd be willing to bet that Bud isn't the Hawks coach going into year 2 of this tank.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think you are Hots alternate account. You posted very infrequently for years but now since the rebuild started it is a daily deluge of negative posts.

There's nothing to be positive about at the moment.  The powers that be have officially come out and admitted that they are tanking.  That alone means nothing positive comes from this season.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, KB21 said:

Again, trying to make the distinction between two teams who intentionally built shitty rosters to get a high draft pick.

Oh, and Cleveland tried, but the draft just cannot supply the talent needed to turn around a crappy team.

They did not try at all.  After Lebron they gave away Mo Williams (All-Star one season before Lebron's departure), Shaq, Big Z, Delonte West - basically every veteran on the roster who they didn't think had a chance for a future with the team.  Sound familiar?   

Who were the big FA signings that Cleveland made while they "tried" to win big?  You looking at Ramon Sessions or Luke Walton there? 

You are a smart guy who hates tanking but you reach so hard sometimes to try to force the narrative that nothing good ever comes out of deliberately getting into the lottery.

• Like 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, JTB said:

LeBron coming back had everything to do with the lottery picks they acquired. 

Why did LeBron leave Cleveland?  He already made the finals there but thought there wasn't enough talent on the team and so the path to a ring was too hard.

Why did he come to Miami?  He could pair with two All-Star / All-NBA talents.  Why did LeBron leave Miami?  Bosh and Wade got old and hurt and were only getting worse.

Why did he come back to Cleveland?  They added #1 Kyrie Irving, #4 Tristan Thompson, #1 Andrew Wiggins who could be flipped for a 2x All-NBA, 3x All-Star Kevin Love coming off his age 25 season, etc.

Let's not pretend he was happy to come back to Cleveland because he wanted to win a ring there regardless of the roster.  He left when the team didn't have sufficient supporting cast and then returned when they had the All-Star/All-NBA talent to pair with him - just like he jumped to Miami when they had the All-Star talent to pair with him.  If he leaves Cleveland it will be because he thinks the talent has dipped again and he will join another team with the talent he thinks will make him a prohibitive favorite to be in the finals.

• Like 2

• Moderators

LeBron returning to Cleveland is similar to KG agreeing to come to Boston.  Why did he do that?  Boston drafted an All-Star/All-NBA talent and held onto him and then they flipped lottery talent for KG and for another All-Star/All-NBA talent that he could pair with.  Would he have agreed to the trade to Boston if they didn't draft and retain PP or if they didn't have the draft assets (primarily the #5 pick if I recall) to flip for Ray Allen?  No.  Not at all.  He was put off by the losing and by the racist past of the city but that fell to the side when the chance to pair up with a couple of studs materialized.  Suddenly an undesirable franchise became a place he wanted to be.  Similar to GS going from FA wasteland to KD's preferred landing spot when they landed enough studs in the draft (after ditching vets they didn't think were part of their future).

• Premium Member

Why are you guys engaging him? He's already said this whole season is a failure no matter what happens. What possible good is it to have the same tank/not tank argument in every single thread EVERY DAY because one guy is mad that Ressler and Bud didn't get his personal approval to rebuild?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Why are you guys engaging him? He's already said this whole season is a failure no matter what happens. What possible good is it to have the same tank/not tank argument in every single thread EVERY DAY because one guy is mad that Ressler and Bud didn't get his personal approval to rebuild?

I respect KB, and also, I admit I've had my occasions when I took every opportunity to evangelize my perspective on my pet issue of the moment. This very thread, in fact, originated out of a gut reaction to finally seeing Bud explicitly comment on such a pet issue.

But KB is right to comment about it here, imo, because it's on-topic even if it's the same-old-same-old from him.

And Soth is right to comment that it does come to a point where it's a little silly to keep engaging the same-old-same-old as-if the vast majority here hadn't already long-ago formed their opinion on the topic.

In my opinion, that is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'd be willing to bet that Bud isn't the Hawks coach going into year 2 of this tank.

So, November 1 2018, you're now saying you feel lock-certain Bud will not be the Hawks coach?

If you'd asked me before I read Bud's quotes, I'd say that's not unreasonable.

I've read Bud's quotes now. I think it's completely unreasonable. I think Bud's pattern has been to avoid saying anything at all on these kinds of things, and the fact that he said what he did is convincing. I don't know what's going on in your head that you're that sold-out to clinging to such a prediction when, in order to hold on to it, you pretty much have to consider Bud a bold-faced liar.

So, let's do this... what's the bet?

EDIT: Caveat... If the SAS job comes open (with Pops deciding to start his 2020 presidential campaign?... hehe... ), I believe that's the one situation that would be too attractive to Bud to turn down.

I’ve been considering betting him on the “won’t be back in the playoffs in 5 years” thing too. I think I will, name the stakes...

2 hours ago, AHF said:

They did not try at all.  After Lebron they gave away Mo Williams (All-Star one season before Lebron's departure), Shaq, Big Z, Delonte West - basically every veteran on the roster who they didn't think had a chance for a future with the team.  Sound familiar?   

Who were the big FA signings that Cleveland made while they "tried" to win big?  You looking at Ramon Sessions or Luke Walton there? 

You are a smart guy who hates tanking but you reach so hard sometimes to try to force the narrative that nothing good ever comes out of deliberately getting into the lottery.

Must be talking about the big summer splurge where they brought in the catalyst for Philly's tank, Andrew Bynum, then reserves Earl Clark and Jarrett Jack.  I suppose that could be considered trying...but if the bar is so low why then is the interpretation of the Hawks offseason entirely different?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

EDIT: Caveat... If the SAS job comes open (with Pops deciding to start his 2020 presidential campaign?... hehe... ), I believe that's the one situation that would be too attractive to Bud to turn down.

Agree: if the Spurs job opened up Bud would take it. But otherwise I don’t see him bolting. 

1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

Must be talking about the big summer splurge where they brought in the catalyst for Philly's tank, Andrew Bynum, then reserves Earl Clark and Jarrett Jack.  I suppose that could be considered trying...but if the bar is so low why then is the interpretation of the Hawks offseason entirely different?

It isn’t, and he knows it. But that doesn’t feed his anger, nor jive with his narrative.