• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Michael Porter Jr to miss the rest of Freshman season

Blunt91

54 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If he falls to mid first round the Hawks should definitely use the Minnesota pick to snag him up!

That's what I'm crossing my fingers/toes/and eyes for too. Any of Ayton/Doncic/Bagley plus Porter would be a HUGE haul to add to Menace/Printz/Baptist + daFro. Very unlikely, some team will jump all over that before the Minny pick...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Well if he's anything like Harry Giles he could fall to late first Round.  I would literally pass out if the Hawks get Doncic and Porter Jr this draft.

Yeah, I’m the resident optimist but the chances of that are VERY slim. But wouldn’t that be some $hit if it went down like that...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Yeah, I’m the resident optimist but the chances of that are VERY slim. But wouldn’t that be some $hit if it went down like that...

I doubt he’ll fall out of the top 5, but if he were to fall into the 6-10 range, could the Hawks put a package together to go up and get him? Collins is the only guy completely off limits.

• Like 2

Just now, CP61 said:

I doubt he’ll fall out of the top 5, but if he were to fall into the 6-10 range, could the Hawks put a package together to go up and get him? Collins is the only guy completely off limits.

In all seriousness, injuries to the back are the worse injury a player in any sport can have.  It'll all be about his medical.  The Hawks could put together a package, I'm sure.  We'll also have to see what players get shipped at the trading deadline this year for future draft capital.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He'll still enter the draft. He'll still be a top ten pick as well unless something else happens to him.

Frankly I'm torn between Donkic and Ayton. If Ayton plays like he is projected to play then he could be another KAT/Embiid level talent at center for us. How do you pass that up?

• Like 1

From what I am hearing, he's still projected in the top 5 and still on some teams board as the #1 overall player. Elite potential scorers who have a high level of skill to Porter's level aren't nearly impossible to find. 

Last player who had this surgery was P.J. Tucker in Sept of last year, came back at the beginning of the NBA season last year and played decently. Looks 100% this season. Overall, this shouldn't affect his status. I've heard a lot of teams were at all of his practices at Missouri and to many, he was the best overall draft prospect.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marco102 said:

In all seriousness, injuries to the back are the worse injury a player in any sport can have.  It'll all be about his medical.  The Hawks could put together a package, I'm sure.  We'll also have to see what players get shipped at the trading deadline this year for future draft capital.

It depends on the back injury technically speaking. Overall, like all injuries, it depends on the player more than anything. Michael Jordan had an ACL injury and became the GOAT. Dion Glover had an ACL and lost all of his athletic ability and flopped. 

12 hours ago, marco102 said:

Well if he's anything like Harry Giles he could fall to late first Round.  I would literally pass out if the Hawks get Doncic and Porter Jr this draft.

Not even the same case. Two major knee injuries before 18 years old will kill anyone. We have seen this with NBA, college and HS players. 

I would be happy if we landed any of the big 5 in this class. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

It is very rare to see someone who has a back issue that has surgery and then suddenly "no more back issues".  These things have a strong tendency of recurring over time, and it is usually either a level above the previous area or  level below.  There is also the strong possibility that after a microdiscectomy, they may have to do a fusion of the vertebra at some point.  This is based on the numerous back pain patients I have treated over the years, particularly when I was doing sports medicine.  

So, the question is, will the team that drafts him be able to maximize him before this back issue rears its head again?

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, KB21 said:

It is very rare to see someone who has a back issue that has surgery and then suddenly "no more back issues".  These things have a strong tendency of recurring over time, and it is usually either a level above the previous area or  level below.  There is also the strong possibility that after a microdiscectomy, they may have to do a fusion of the vertebra at some point.  This is based on the numerous back pain patients I have treated over the years, particularly when I was doing sports medicine.  

So, the question is, will the team that drafts him be able to maximize him before this back issue rears its head again?

Back issues are one of the most troubling injuries for possible recurrence and potential new limitations for athletes.

• Like 1

Yeah, just about any interview with Larry Bird and his back trouble is brought up, in discomfort 24/7 now. Has happened to many big time players and in particular the big guys. Hope Porter can avoid all that but already an injury and he is so young, really unfortunate.