• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luka Doncic thread

frosgrim

Just now, Jody23 said:

No doubt he will get stronger in an NBA strength and conditioning program.  But that's not going to dramatically change his level of athleticism and quickness.  In large part, athleticism is not something you develop.  You pretty much have what have.

Oh yeah I'm not expecting him to develop into a great athlete but his athleticism will certainly improve. Look at how Gordon Hayward improved over the years, he was bullying the Hawks last year.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, DBac said:

Oh yeah I'm not expecting him to develop into a great athlete but his athleticism will certainly improve. Look at how Gordon Hayward improved over the years, he was bullying the Hawks last year.

Hayward was a good athlete before he got to the NBA.  Him getting stronger didn't dramatically improve that.  I see your point though, and I think Luka has some things working in his favor.  He's got good size for a wing player and he'll be a good secondary ball handler who can initiate an offense as I don't see him as a pg at the next level.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DBac said:

I'm not comparing him to Russell Westbrook here. Harden's game is based on his strength and craftiness more than athleticism (which was NOT seen as a strength of Harden's coming out), which Doncic has tons of already at age 18. These guards like Fultz and Russell have been getting compared to Harden, but I think Harden's size gets underrated. He's probably 230+ pounds right now and can check bigs/bigger forwards on defense. The way Doncic sets up his stepback 3, can't help but see Harden. His PnR mastery is also very Harden-like. He draws fouls and gets free throws at an elite rate.

On another note this is my favorite Doncic game I think. Not the most impressive boxscore but just fun to watch

I don't think you get it, I love Doncic. I just don't like this potential superstar narrative. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think you get it, I love Doncic. I just don't like this potential superstar narrative. 

Doncic Ayton and Bagley are the three where it wouldn't surprise me if they became a top 5 player in the league with Doncic being the safest bet of the three to be a star. Then there's some guys who can be in that Paul George / Jimmy Butler / Gordon Hayward range, then a few championship team level role players. Great draft imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Offensively, a skillful dynamo. I know one thing. If we land Ayton, Bamba, Porter Jr., Doncic or Bagley. I will be a happy man. All of them can be great. 

But they wont all be great. It's the law of averages. Drafts with multiple generational talents like 2003, or 1984 are very rare. We have to get this right.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

But they wont all be great. It's the law of averages. Drafts with multiple generational talents like 2003, or 1984 are very rare. We have to get this right.

I can't say they will all be great. A lot of things go into what makes a player great. Coaching, system fit, talent, BBIQ, role. But I do feel they could be All-Stars. It's no lock but I feel strongly about their talents. Best draft since 1996. But this class lacks depth like 2003. But the top 5, will be special. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Deserve has nothing to do with what team gets what draft picks.  I'm hoping we get lucky in the lottery regardless of how we finish the year.  I'm definitely high on Doncic and I'd take him now rather than wait out the season if we could do so.  Since that isn't an option, I'm glad Porter will be returning and get scouted on the floor.   He isn't on my list at all given where I expect our top pick to end up but I would hate to slip and then have to consider him without any college tape.

• Like 1

Color me foolish but while I still think he has the lowest ceiling of the top 5 guys, I can't deny it, offensively, he's Pistol Pete. He's my #1 guy. No offense to Ayton or Bamba but both of them aren't close to polished. Doncic is. I hope to goodness with can get someone like Willie Cauley Stein in a trade. We need someone who can protect Doncic on defense. That said, Doncic is the best player in this class and he will make an instant impact regardless if we win or lose. 

At the end of the day, we need someone that's gonna make it possible to turn Dennis into a 2nd ball handler while not messing up his touches either. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Color me foolish but while I still think he has the lowest ceiling of the top 5 guys, I can't deny it, offensively, he's Pistol Pete. He's my #1 guy. No offense to Ayton or Bamba but both of them aren't close to polished. Doncic is. I hope to goodness with can get someone like Willie Cauley Stein in a trade. We need someone who can protect Doncic on defense. That said, Doncic is the best player in this class and he will make an instant impact regardless if we win or lose. 

At the end of the day, we need someone that's gonna make it possible to turn Dennis into a 2nd ball handler while not messing up his touches either. 

But is he a superstar though? In the end, that's all that matters to me. I'm warming up to the idea of drafting him #1, but I'm genuinely worried about getting sucked into the hype surrounding this kid and ending up with a 'good' player as the centerpiece of the franchise for the next few years. The best comparison I've seen so far is Joe Johnson minus the defense. The under the rim game, ability to be a primary ball handler, and versatile offensive skills do remind me of JJ. But do we take JJ with the #1 pick?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hawkman said:

But is he a superstar though? In the end, that's all that matters to me. I'm warming up to the idea of drafting him #1, but I'm genuinely worried about getting sucked into the hype surrounding this kid and ending up with a 'good' player as the centerpiece of the franchise for the next few years. The best comparison I've seen so far is Joe Johnson minus the defense. The under the rim game, ability to be a primary ball handler, and versatile offensive skills do remind me of JJ. But do we take JJ with the #1 pick?

Pistol Pete is the best comparison. Joe Johnson and him aren't all that similar. Two completely different types. Joe was more all around but he wasn't someone who would be hard to stop in the NBA. You really can't double Doncic. That said, Doncic defensively will never be what Joe was.