• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luka Doncic thread

frosgrim

On 12/16/2017 at 11:53 PM, KB21 said:

OK.  Tell me what that "more" to his game is.

Has a great first step, is a good passer out of the high post, has decent skills on the block, good handle for a guy his size, jump shot looks good but could be improved with work (the mechanics are there tho), moves his feet well on defense allowing him to defend multiple positions, great understanding of the game and pace, extremely unselfish....add all of that to an extremely athletic, ridiculously active 6’11 frame and you’ve got a really good player with the potential to be great 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Most great NBA players were pretty good right away. LeBron, Chris Paul, KD, all showed signs of being great early on. I really cant think of any generation talent that was terrible their first couple years. 

Terrible no, but some took time like Kobe, TMac etc 

20/10/8 vs the defending Euroleague champs today. Mostly free throws (4/10 from the field). That stepback at the end.. whew

I really hope Doncic ends up on the right team even if it isn't us. Even though he doesn't jump out the gym, or plays lock-down defense, I'd hate to see him relegated to a role player in the NBA.

This dude is going to be a stud. I think someone else had said this, but I can see Larry bird in this kid, I know I know, lazy comparison. White kid with a good jumper and not much athleticism... But that's exactly who Luka's game is most similar to. His great feel for the game, always in control and makes teammates better. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DS5 said:

This dude is going to be a stud. I think someone else had said this, but I can see Larry bird in this kid, I know I know, lazy comparison. White kid with a good jumper and not much athleticism... But that's exactly who Luka's game is most similar to. His great feel for the game, always in control and makes teammates better. 

I don't really see Larry Bird, but I do think he's a really good player.  There have been a few players that have been touted as "Bird-like" over the years, but none have come close to being as good as Bird was.  I think some of that has to do with the overall speed and athleticism of the game today being greater than when Bird played.  At any rate, guys with limited quickness and athleticism will have to REALLY excel skill wise to be prominent players.

47 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I don't really see Larry Bird, but I do think he's a really good player.  There have been a few players that have been touted as "Bird-like" over the years, but none have come close to being as good as Bird was.  I think some of that has to do with the overall speed and athleticism of the game today being greater than when Bird played.  At any rate, guys with limited quickness and athleticism will have to REALLY excel skill wise to be prominent players.

Agreed. And I also think this kid has the skills to compensate for the lack of crazy athleticism. He has the handles, the vision, the shot. Not to mention all the intangibles he's shown at the age of 18.

On 12/28/2017 at 6:41 PM, DBac said:

20/10/8 vs the defending Euroleague champs today. Mostly free throws (4/10 from the field). That stepback at the end.. whew

While I question his speed, those handles are legit. He's a lot like Pistol on offense. 

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

His size, speed and leaping ability are nothing special. But his basketball skills are off the charts.

You mean like, um....  Larry Bird?

(hehe... having read the above, sorry, just couldn't resist)

Btw... the Curry we see today took years to get his game where it is today. He was thought to be good coming out of Davidson. He was not thought to be this good.

We have a coach who has enjoyed a reputation for developing players.

My lingering question is... has he been able to replenish Hawks U with capable and qualified faculty. I wouldn't pretend to know anything beyond what we see on paper, and that sometimes is misleading. But I'm one of those left unimpressed by what's on paper.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Stephen Curry is not considered a freak athlete. His size, speed and leaping ability are nothing special. But his basketball skills are off the charts.

Freak athletes are overrated. Give me a guy that knows how to play. 

Curry in all fairness is large his position. He is 6'3. That's not a small PG. On top of that, he mastered how to play SG in college. Just he offers a lot of versatility. Doncic hasn't shown that consistently but he shows flashes of being on a ball guard PG. 

Edited by NBASupes

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Curry in all fairness is large his position. He is 6'3. That's not a small PG. On top of that, he mastered how to play SG in college. Just he offers a lot of versatility. Doncic hasn't shown that consistently but he shows flashes of being on a ball guard PG. 

Not to nit pick but he's actually 6'2", he got an official measurement at the NBA combine. But his ability to get his shot off is truly a marvel. Him, along with Golden State during the Steve Kerr years, have revolutionized the modern game.

• Like 1