• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

29 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I’m just shaking my head. Can nothing be normal or standard with this team!? Hell, with Atlanta sports in general. 

Seriously...  We finally rebuild and A) we have a historic tank race and B) lottery reform kicks in one season later. 

Atlanta sports man.  I swear... LOL

You’re looking at it all wrong, Wretch! These Atlanta Hawks are owning this very last of the REAL tank seasons, tied for 1st. And if they’re only slightly bad next year, it won’t hurt their lottery standing as much as pre rules-adjustment. Winning! ;P

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hazer said:

You’re looking at it all wrong, Wretch! These Atlanta Hawks are owning this very last of the REAL tank seasons, tied for 1st. And if they’re only slightly bad next year, it won’t hurt their lottery standing as much as pre rules-adjustment. Winning! ;P

It could work out very well but this season is essential.  Can't drop down the tank rankings.  The whole reason they are changing it is because there is too much of a competitive advantage to being at the top of the tank ladder.  We have been sitting there all season so do whatever it takes to keep it going.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

It could work out very well but this season is essential.  Can't drop down the tank rankings.  The whole reason they are changing it is because there is too much of a competitive advantage to being at the top of the tank ladder.  We have been sitting there all season so do whatever it takes to keep it going.

No.

The reason they are changing it is because tanking is a blight to the league as a whole.  No one that has tanked has ever gained a competitive advantage over the rest of the league.  However, tanking will not stop until the league starts taking draft picks away from teams that do it.

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree 1000%. Nice seeing Goteem, Gaze, and Ilyasovavichkovchev sitting last night, secure that Top 3 pick Schlenkholzer!

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No.

The reason they are changing it is because tanking is a blight to the league as a whole.  No one that has tanked has ever gained a competitive advantage over the rest of the league.  However, tanking will not stop until the league starts taking draft picks away from teams that do it.

Riiiiggghhhht.  Teams do it because it hurts their marketing and the marketing of the league as a whole which hurts the asset value of the franchise and their owner and boss.  Sounds about right.  

Not because GS tanked deliberately on their way to their first championship, Cleveland tanked on the way to their ring, SA leaned into an injury tank to establish their dynasty....etc.  Teams don't recognize that it creates a competitive advantage that benefits their individual team to the point where they think it is worth creating an ugly eyesore for the league as a whole.  They do it knowing there is no competitive advantage and instead out of their desire to hurt their own popularity and that of the league as a whole which ultimately hurts the pocket books of everyone involved.  Makes sense.

• Like 4

Philly just completed the ugliest series of blatant, shameless, full-season tanks I can recall.  What they got was a core that is the envy of the league.  Several of their picks didn't work out, but they emerged from their morass of atrocity with what  might be the best center/point-forward combo since Kareem/Magic.  Now they need some maturity and value signings, but they have the core to play for a championship.  Compare that with our half-hearted rebuild that garnered a core of Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.  That team's zenith was being subjected to the most horrific shellacking of a #3 seed in the history of the NBA playoffs.  No thanks.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Philly just completed the ugliest series of blatant, shameless, full-season tanks I can recall.  What they got was a core that is the envy of the league.  Several of their picks didn't work out, but they emerged from their morass of atrocity with what  might be the best center/point-forward combo since Kareem/Magic.  Now they need some maturity and value signings, but they have the core to play for a championship.  Compare that with our half-hearted rebuild that garnered a core of Joe Johnson and Josh Smith.  That team's zenith was being subjected to the most horrific shellacking of a #3 seed in the history of the NBA playoffs.  No thanks.  

Philly is the envy of the league?  

OK.  A team that is going to hover around a 0.500 winning percentage 5 years into their rebuild is the envy of the league.  Got you.  

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

Riiiiggghhhht.  Teams do it because it hurts their marketing and the marketing of the league as a whole which hurts the asset value of the franchise and their owner and boss.  Sounds about right.  

Not because GS tanked deliberately on their way to their first championship, Cleveland tanked on the way to their ring, SA leaned into an injury tank to establish their dynasty....etc.  Teams don't recognize that it creates a competitive advantage that benefits their individual team to the point where they think it is worth creating an ugly eyesore for the league as a whole.  They do it knowing there is no competitive advantage and instead out of their desire to hurt their own popularity and that of the league as a whole which ultimately hurts the pocket books of everyone involved.  Makes sense.

Teams do it because ownership knows how much profit they can make by convincing a stupid fan base that tanking is the only means of getting that "star" player.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Teams do it because ownership knows how much profit they can make by convincing a stupid fan base that tanking is the only means of getting that "star" player.

You claim this year we are seeing increases in ticket and merchandise sales; ad revenues, etc as a result of tanking?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Wretch said:

I’m just shaking my head. Can nothing be normal or standard with this team!? Hell, with Atlanta sports in general. 

Seriously...  We finally rebuild and A) we have a historic tank race and B) lottery reform kicks in one season later. 

Atlanta sports man.  I swear... LOL

Just wait until the lottery. I fully expect the Hawks to finish with the worst possible lottery pick number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You claim this year we are seeing increases in ticket and merchandise sales; ad revenues, etc as a result of tanking?

No.  The profit is coming as a result of slashing payroll along with other things.  It will be particularly apparent when Atlanta avoids signing any legitimate free agents during the next two off seasons. 

The only thing the Hawks have done with this strategy is guarantee three to five years of losing.  That's the only guarantee with this strategy.  

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

No.  The profit is coming as a result of slashing payroll along with other things.  It will be particularly apparent when Atlanta avoids signing any legitimate free agents during the next two off seasons. 

The only thing the Hawks have done with this strategy is guarantee three to five years of losing.  That's the only guarantee with this strategy.  

Our payroll is higher this year than last year.  Last year we were at $95.6M while this year we are at $99.9M.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Just wait until the lottery. I fully expect the Hawks to finish with the worst possible lottery pick number.

Please don't speak this into existence. Georgia sports fans have had enough disappointment over the past few years. If the Cavs get the 1st pick(again) and the Hawks end up getting the worst possible pick they could get, I'm taking a break from sports.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Please don't speak this into existence. Georgia sports fans have had enough disappointment over the past few years. If the Cavs get the 1st pick(again) and the Hawks end up getting the worst possible pick they could get, I'm taking a break from sports.

Sorry dude. I have been a Georgia sports fan for over forty something years now. I am so used to getting the rug pulled under my feet that I expect it at every turn.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Co-signed. It’s almost laughable how predictably crappy Atlanta’s sports luck is. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, KB21 said:

OK.  A team that is going to hover around a 0.500 winning percentage 5 years into their rebuild is the envy of the league.  Got you.  

Until, they lose those players to FAcy.. because those players want an opportunity to win.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, KB21 said:

Philly has had a weird rebuild because all of their top picks seem to miss their first year.