• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next Bud rumor: New York Knicks

rd79

2 hours ago, parfait said:

They signed a couple of solid veterans last offseason in Dedmon and Ilysova, both averaging 10 pts per game with a PER rating of over 15 each, with Dedmon rebounding 7.9 a game in 24 minutes. Belinelli was acquired via trade, and he made for a valuable 6th man for Atlanta and now Philly. These were quality vets and were much more than roster filler.

This upcoming offseason, with every other team except the Hawks and 4 others being in salary cap hell, there will be even less options for a number of these quality veterans, not to mention the potential for the Hawks absorbing quality veterans with bad contracts via trade. There should be an abundance of available quality veterans to come to one of the very few teams with cap space, Atlanta. And Schlenk has said, as long as they have manageable contracts, he will welcome them.

This influx of quality veterans to go with Bazemore, combined with continued growth from Collins, Prince, Dorsey, and Schröder, should make an increase of 6+ wins next year more than attainable.

What’s this wizardry? You with this logic, be gone!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, parfait said:

They signed a couple of solid veterans last offseason in Dedmon and Ilysova, both averaging 10 pts per game with a PER rating of over 15 each, with Dedmon rebounding 7.9 a game in 24 minutes. Belinelli was acquired via trade, and he made for a valuable 6th man for Atlanta and now Philly. These were quality vets and were much more than roster filler.

This upcoming offseason, with every other team except the Hawks and 4 others being in salary cap hell, there will be even less options for a number of these quality veterans, not to mention the potential for the Hawks absorbing quality veterans with bad contracts via trade. There should be an abundance of available quality veterans to come to one of the very few teams with cap space, Atlanta. And Schlenk has said, as long as they have manageable contracts, he will welcome them.

This influx of quality veterans to go with Bazemore, combined with continued growth from Collins, Prince, Dorsey, and Schröder, should make an increase of 6+ wins next year more than attainable.

Those were not quality veteran signings designed to help the tam win games.  They were roster fillers who had very little overall impact on winning.  In fact, the team was better when Belinelli was off the floor than when he was on the floor.  The top 10 players on this roster for this year had a projected WARP of around 17 before the year started, and it's truly a credit to Bud that he was able to milk 24 wins out of this bunch.  

Also, I know they will not sign or bring on board any legitimate veterans that can help them win in 2018.  It goes against their stupid build through the draft cheaply mantra.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Those were not quality veteran signings designed to help the tam win games.  They were roster fillers who had very little overall impact on winning.  In fact, the team was better when Belinelli was off the floor than when he was on the floor.  The top 10 players on this roster for this year had a projected WARP of around 17 before the year started, and it's truly a credit to Bud that he was able to milk 24 wins out of this bunch.  

Also, I know they will not sign or bring on board any legitimate veterans that can help them win in 2018.  It goes against their stupid build through the draft cheaply mantra.

Hmm, you still seem to be fixated on this idea (based on zero evidence) that Ressler is going the cheap route, and it must be coloring your view of the whole situation.

Wouldn't  it have been cheaper to keep Bud as Coach/GM at $7 mill per year, rather than hiring Schlenk on top of that for $2-3 mill or whatever he makes?

Wouldn't it have been the cheap route to have continued with the current G-League arrangement and not bought their own G-League team?

Wouldn't it have been thriftier to leave Philips as is and avoid costly renovations?

And was it really urgent for a non-championship team to have a state-of-the-art practice facility? He must have just done it for some sort of write-off!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, parfait said:

Hmm, you still seem to be fixated on this idea (based on zero evidence) that Ressler is going the cheap route, and it must be coloring your view of the whole situation.

Wouldn't  it have been cheaper to keep Bud as Coach/GM at $7 mill per year, rather than hiring Schlenk on top of that for $2-3 mill or whatever he makes?

Wouldn't it have been the cheap route to have continued with the current G-League arrangement and not bought their own G-League team?

Wouldn't it have been thriftier to leave Philips as is and avoid costly renovations?

And was it really urgent for a non-championship team to have a state-of-the-art practice facility? He must have just done it for some sort of write-off!

Oh, I know Ressler is going cheap on the roster.  It's what owners do in tanking situations.  They control the cost of their roster while they rake in a big profit.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Oh, I know Ressler is going cheap on the roster.  It's what owners do in tanking situations.  They control the cost of their roster while they rake in a big profit.

Oh, shoot! You mean to tell me that Hawks management's decision to rebuild was motivated purely by the desire to lower payroll, by having cheap, young players on the roster?!

I've been bamboozled! I thought they wanted to revitalize the roster with a combination of young talent and flexible contracts.

Damnit, now I have to hope that the roster ACCIDENTALLY gets younger, more talented, and more flexible during the course of this sinister plan.

Oh, why did they have to rebuild cheaply?! Why couldn't they have chosen to rebuild...expensively?!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, parfait said:

Oh, shoot! You mean to tell me that Hawks management's decision to rebuild was motivated purely by the desire to lower payroll, by having cheap, young players on the roster?!

I've been bamboozled! I thought they wanted to revitalize the roster with a combination of young talent and flexible contracts.

Damnit, now I have to hope that the roster ACCIDENTALLY gets younger, more talented, and more flexible during the course of this sinister plan.

Oh, why did they have to rebuild cheaply?! Why couldn't they have chosen to rebuild...expensively?!

lol!

https://nypost.com/2018/04/22/mike-budenholzer-wants-knicks-job-because-hes-sick-of-losing/

Moreover, Budenholzer appears so disillusioned with the current Hawks’ philosophy, it’s difficult to imagine him returning. Atlanta is adopting the blueprint set by the “Trust The Process’’ Sixers. Budenholzer was the top decision-maker on personnel until last summer when Travis Schlenk was named general manager. Now the 48-year-old, the 2015 Coach of the Year, has no power regarding personnel.

“Phoenix and the Knicks are trying to win every game,’’ said the NBA source who has spoken to Budenholzer recently. “There’s a good chance Atlanta is not looking to win games the next two years. This wasn’t Mike’s decision. He didn’t expect it. He doesn’t want to lose games.’’

There’s a sentiment Atlanta’s ownership believes it is harder to go through a “Trust The Process’’ era with Budenholzer coaching, though the team did a good job tanking this season in posting a 24-58 record.

There’s also sentiment the Hawks may not delve into the free-agent market this summer to boost their roster.

One NBA executive said Hawks ownership ultimately may be motivated by finances regarding Budenholzer. It seems hard to justify Atlanta seeking major compensation like a first- or second-round pick, with cash considerations more likely.

“Ownership has quite a bit of money on the line,’’ an NBA executive said. “They may be thinking why pay him $6 million a year if they’re not a playoff contender? Why not pay someone $2 million a year for the next two years?’’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Shouldn't that read over the next 5 years not 2?

You are misunderstanding, as usual.  The comment mentions that the Hawks are still looking to tank their seasons for the next two seasons.  Then they will try to win after that, but given how young the team will be at that time, it will be a long process for them to mature.  With continued tanking, this will look more like an 8 year process.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

You are misunderstanding, as usual.  The comment mentions that the Hawks are still looking to tank their seasons for the next two seasons.  Then they will try to win after that, but given how young the team will be at that time, it will be a long process for them to mature.  With continued tanking, this will look more like an 8 year process.

Now its an 8 year process...Oh O.K.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/21/2018 at 5:23 PM, Peoriabird said:

This fan base is baffling...While other coaches are hoisting trophies and competing like Brad Stevens, this fan base continues to think that their coach is superior to those coaches.  Just confusing!:blink:

What has Brad Stevens accomplished that Bud hasn't?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Nothing which means neither is superior to the other

I'd say Bud has accomplished more with what he has had to work with. 

I'm sure Ressler would love to see Bud issue an ultimatum like refusing to coach while Schlenk is GM.  "So you can't coach anywhere else and you are telling me that I don't have to pay you anymore if I refuse your demand to get rid of the GM I hired?  Hmmm....this is such a tough decision...."

13 minutes ago, terrell said:

Sick of losing, and wanting to go to NY? lmao..

Laugh but before Porzingis got injured, they were in the thick of the playoff race.  Porzingis under Bud will be a top 10 player in the NBA, and Bud will turn Frank Ntilikina into a star as well.