• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Search and Interviews

marco102

3 hours ago, AHF said:

You know it, JTB!

Re Bud, he will get an offer.

Welcome back queen of the squawk!

34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I could go along with Larranaga.  He is a coach that stresses team oriented play and defense.  I still think I want Darvin Ham to get it since he is from the Bud tree.

I wish I knew more about him .

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'm sure that's what Orlando thought when they tore down in 2012 and hired the hot young executive from the model team at that time, OKC.

Orlando and hennigan were flawed in this approach. Plus coaching Vaughn and skills to an extent. Short sighted trades like the saric for Peyton trade. Then adding high price veterans such as ibaka and trading away olidipo was short sighted. It was a weird trade then and is even weirder now that oli has blossomed in Indiana. Then the risky free agent signings of biyombo. I never thought much of vuceivic or henzonja and still don’t. Gordon was cast as a sf for much of his time. And injuries havent been kind to them.  There are no quick fixes sometimes you just need to get lucky.

1 minute ago, Royjr9 said:

Orlando and hennigan were flawed in this approach. Plus coaching Vaughn and skills to an extent. Short sighted trades like the saric for Peyton trade. Then adding high price veterans such as ibaka and trading away olidipo was short sighted. It was a weird trade then and is even weirder now that oli has blossomed in Indiana. Then the risky free agent signings of biyombo. I never thought much of vuceivic or henzonja and still don’t. Gordon was cast as a sf for much of his time. And injuries havent been kind to them.  There are no quick fixes sometimes you just need to get lucky.

So, what you are saying is that you should accept that you are going to lose for multiple years, because those deals were made in year 4 of their tank job.  

So, when exactly are you supposed to add vets to help you actually win games?

No.  what happened in Orlando is that they let losing infect the place and created an environment that was not conducive to player development due to he lack of vets and losing.  They also messed up in hiring a young inexperienced coach who they thought would “grow with the team”.   

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, what you are saying is that you should accept that you are going to lose for multiple years, because those deals were made in year 4 of their tank job.  

So, when exactly are you supposed to add vets to help you actually win games?

No.  what happened in Orlando is that they let losing infect the place and created an environment that was not conducive to player development due to he lack of vets and losing.  They also messed up in hiring a young inexperienced coach who they thought would “grow with the team”.   

We’ve had this discussions depends on the vets that you add.  Ie. Minnesota adding butler. Vs Orlando adding serge ibaka and biyombo. If you don’t know the difference then there isn’t much to discuss now is it. Phili will be interesting in that who ever they sign could determine that teams ceiling.  For the most part reddick and  Amir Johnson helped with this this year. Sign the wrong guy and you set yourself up for failure. And I don’t see anywhere where I advocated losing for multiple years. You may not like it but it’s sad to pay a team that clearly has a ceiling. The hawks would have prolly not made the playoffs anyway this year if they brought back your roster. Also the Lakers bring in an IT and Frye you prolly won’t win a championship with you but those guys can show the young guys how to carry themselves. And look at Chicago bring in wade and his effect on them. There are countless examples you could look to.

Edited by Royjr9

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Orlando tank failed due to wanting to win to soon, abandoning culture, and hiring coaches for player development with poor player development track records.

It was way more than that IMHO.  They also invested in the wrong dudes pick-wise.  I mean, they went all-in on something called Elfrid Payton.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It was way more than that IMHO.  They also invested in the wrong dudes pick-wise.  I mean, they went all-in on something called Elfrid Payton.

I’m still wonder how you ship Oladipo out and keep Payton. Bad juju all the way round with them.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Again, This scenario reminds me so much of the Mike Smith saga with the Falcons!  Once Smith was fired, All of the Smith supporters were convinced he was the best coach on the market and would be scooped up immediately.  As time passed and he wasn't hired, they then said he want to take a year off for personal reason.  The next year he was hired as the Buc's Defensive coordinator, the supporters gleefully predicted a top 10 defense for the Bucs.  3 years later, Tampa's defense is still terrible and it was Quinn that has turned the Falcon's defense into a top 10 defense... Something Smith was never able to do in 8 years with the same owner and GM

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

I’m still wonder how you ship Oladipo out and keep Payton. Bad juju all the way round with them.

Oladipo had a rep for being a gym rat.  A hard-working, good culture guy.  I don't know what Elfrid's rep is but .... that hairstyle lets me know decision-making isn't a strong suit for him. :laugh:

Rumor has it that he's actually cut it but there's no picture evidence yet.  We'll see.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Again, This scenario reminds me so much of the Mike Smith saga with the Falcons!  Once Smith was fired, All of the Smith supporters were convinced he was the best coach on the market and would be scooped up immediately.  As time passed and he wasn't hired, they then said he want to take a year off for personal reason.  The next year he was hired as the Buc's Defensive coordinator, the supporters gleefully predicted a top 10 defense for the Bucs.  3 years later, Tampa's defense is still terrible and it was Quinn that has turned the Falcon's defense into a top 10 defense... Something Smith was never able to do in 8 years with the same owner and GM

You said a mouthful there, Peo.

Isola said on NBARadio that he was hearing Bud wanted the NYK job.  TIFWIW.  I kinda think Budz is gonna end up back on Pop's staff now that the Knick job has been filled.  Pop steps away in a year or so, concentrates on USABball, leaves the Spurs in Budz' hands.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Isola said on NBARadio that he was hearing Bud wanted the NYK job.  TIFWIW.  I kinda think Budz is gonna end up back on Pop's staff now that the Knick job has been filled.  Pop steps away in a year or so, concentrates on USABball, leaves the Spurs in Budz' hands.

Just saying...Everyone here thinks that the rest of the basketball world views Bud the same as Hawk squawkers do.  Bud stated himself that he wanted the Knick's jobs but was denied.  Since then, his name has not surfaced.  Even the Phoenix job was filled by some no name after he interview there.  Ain't looking good for the great one.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I foresaw Bud to the Knicks or Spurs too, didn’t think he’d be the Bucks coach. Either bright lights big stage, or back home.

• Premium Member

Well, I'm new here :cool: so I don't know firsthand ... but something tells me you've never really been on the Budz-wagon.  :ermm:

Perhaps that has something to do with how you feel now? :happy:  Seriously though, you're not completely off but I suspect the lack of interest has more to do with which openings are out there.  NYK apparently wanted a young(ish) guy, PHX probably wanted a tank-friendly guy.  MIL is moving into a new building and, rumor has it, want a 'name' coach which may/may not be a fit for Budz.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, I'm new here so I don't know firsthand ... but something tells me you've never really been on the Budz-wagon.  :ermm:

Perhaps that has something to do with how you feel now? :happy:  Seriously though, you're not completely off but I suspect the lack of interest has more to do with which openings are out there.  NYK apparently wanted a young(ish) guy, PHX probably wanted a tank-friendly guy.  MIL is moving into a new building and, rumor has it, want a 'name' coach which may/may not be a fit for Budz.

Only 2 left are Charlotte and Orlando.  Orlando obviously wants a coach to work with their young players so that leaves Charlotte..  Good luck with that one Bud!

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Only 2 left are Charlotte and Orlando.  Orlando obviously wants a coach to work with their young players so that leaves Charlotte..  Good luck with that one Bud!

Yep.  Neither are good fits considering he (a) wants to win (thus ORL wld be out) and (b) can't possibly be looking to coach Dwhine Howard on a worse conceived roster than ours was.

He was probably counting on places like LAC, POR and WAS opening.  Oh well.  He's in a game of musical chairs and the music's about to stop but the only open chair is that one Ricky had an 'accident' in (ewww).  If you're him, do you sit in it or do you just give up and go get another slice of birthday cake?

• Like 3