• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta Omari Spellman

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, DBac said:

Instead, the Hawks came away with neither of those things, as Dallas got the number 1 guy on their board. Played. But whatever, it's done now. Schlenk just has to be a better negotiator in the future.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. It's not that he made the trade - it's the return, particularly when Philly got an unprotected pick trading down from 10 to 16. 

Feels like Schlenk is just not a shrewd negotiator. Granted he's new to the job especially since last year there wasn't much negotiating to be done at 19.

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. It's not that he made the trade - it's the return, particularly when Philly got an unprotected pick trading down from 10 to 16. 

Feels like Schlenk is just not a shrewd negotiator. Granted he's new to the job especially since last year there wasn't much negotiating to be done at 19.

That's all I'm saying lol. He didn't have to go full Danny Ainge on them but Dallas really got let off the hook here. At least he traded back and got a really good player. But enough about that in Spellman's thread.

34 minutes ago, DBac said:

Instead, the Hawks came away with neither of those things, as Dallas got the number 1 guy on their board. Played. But whatever, it's done now. Schlenk just has to be a better negotiator in the future.

Exactly my point. I know all the rumors as well. We negotiated up until the last minute and took the best deal we could get for the player "we as a management team" wanted.

I hate to be a Captain obvious here but if we wanted Doncic we would have took him. Orlando taking Young at 6 was a risk no one wanted to take.

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wrong answer! Even the ESPN journalist said, if he did not think Doncic was a generational type player, his trade metrics during any other year says this trade is a win for us.

A top 5 protected pick is a windfall unless you really are stoked about Doncic. Obviously we were not stoked about Doncic but ESPN is. Here is the deal, if you believe ESPN, good for you. Buy a subscription to insider and get a poster of Chad Ford while you are at it.

The fact that they like Doncic so much is almost enough to convince me he is not be going to be great.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Wrong answer! Even the ESPN journalist said, if he did not think Doncic was a generational type player, his trade metrics during any other year says this trade is a win for us.

A top 5 protected pick is a windfall unless you really are stoked about Doncic. Obviously we were not stoked about Doncic but ESPN is. Here is the deal, if you believe ESPN, good for you. Buy a subscription to insider and get a poster of Chad Ford while you are at it.

The fact that they like Doncic so much is almost enough to convince me he is not be going to be great.

The reason is that Dallas was sold on Doncic not ESPN.  ESPN is irrelevant.  Dallas wanted him very, very badly.  I think they would have caved but that is speculation on my part.  Phoenix caved to Philly.  Philly drafted Mikal and then held Phoenix's feet to the fire until they caved.  We weren't willing to do that.  (I would have because the same deal would have remained on the table until Dallas was done so you could always give in then - no chance was Memphis taking Young.)

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The reason is that Dallas was sold on Doncic not ESPN.  ESPN is irrelevant.  Dallas wanted him very, very badly.  I think they would have caved but that is speculation on my part.  Phoenix caved to Philly.  Philly drafted Mikal and then held Phoenix's feet to the fire until they caved.  We weren't willing to do that.  (I would have because the same deal would have remained on the table until Dallas was done so you could always give in then - no chance was Memphis taking Young.)

Just as ESPN is irrelevant, Philly and Phoenix is irrelevant. I am happier with the pick over the Bazemore cap space. Given one offer from Dallas was 3 for 5 and 33, just maybe Schlenk is happier with the last offer than he was with the Baze deal he offered. Pure speculation on my part but not a reach either.

Cuban from his history, likes playing in free agency a lot. Him sending a valuable pick over; instead of costing himself 20 million in 2019/20 is a weak spot that could be exploited. In the end, maybe it was.

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

One thing that limited our leverage is Dallas knew we wanted Trae, so they weren't afraid to call our bluff. We probably should of taken Doncic and then made teams bid in the heat of the draft, but Travis didn't want to risk losing Trae.

• Premium Member
And what if Pierce doesnt want to get rid of Dennis?

I don't think he does right now at all. I'm excited to think of them playing together for short as stints. They are small defensively but I see potential there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I don't think he does right now at all. I'm excited to think of them playing together for short as stints. They are small defensively but I see potential there.

Who do you see guarding opposing 6'7'' SGs?  (More SGs in the East last season were 6'7'' than any other height)

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, DBac said:

That's all I'm saying lol. He didn't have to go full Danny Ainge on them but Dallas really got let off the hook here. At least he traded back and got a really good player. But enough about that in Spellman's thread.

Very true...let's get back to Spellman.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Who do you see guarding opposing 6'7'' SGs?  (More SGs in the East last season were 6'7'' than any other height)

It would require a switching defense - I know Lloyd is a defensive coach just not sure If he believes in this. I repeat, they are a definite defensive liability together. We would need Bembry or Prince to really step up..

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its called trap if the guy is a good offensive player.

Or maybe the combo works in spurts and it forces the other team to go small to match us?

Like I said, i don't think it will be a staple, just used in spurts.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Or maybe the combo works in spurts and it forces the other team to go small to match us?

Like I said, i don't think it will be a staple, just used in spurts.

Its give and take. If Trae's jumper is on and Dennis is blowing by his man will they make the adjustment first or will we when SG at 6'7 are posting up or shooting over Dennis or Trae