• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta Omari Spellman

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Think he deserves his own thread.

Omari Spellman NBA Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Atlanta Hawks' Pick

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2780627-omari-spellman-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-atlanta-hawks-pick.amp.html

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm really excited to see what he can do. He reminds me of Morris bros, our own exHawk Mike Scott (hopefully only as he was on court lol[emoji38])

Key is keeping his weight in control.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I'm really excited to see what he can do. He reminds me of Morris bros, our own exHawk Mike Scott (hopefully only as he was on court lolemoji38.png)

Lololol.

58 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I'm really excited to see what he can do. He reminds me of Morris bros, our own exHawk Mike Scott (hopefully only as he was on court lolemoji38.png)

Dude is fat for a basketball player. I'm surprised he didn't end up playing offensive line.

• Like 1

I actually like this kid. I am always skeptical of older freshman but he played like a senior and he can really do it all. Doesn't have Draymond vision but he passing the ball as fast and accurate as anyone I can remember as a prospect. Maybe LeBron has the same passing strength but it's such a limited number of guys with that passing speed.

Moves off the ball really well. High BBIQ, versatility is a strength. Like Draymond, he is still not NBA level in terms of conditioning. He like Draymond is 2 years away from major impact. Good to draft him 30th and lock him into a 4 year contract instead of a 2-3 year deal. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I actually like this kid. I am always skeptical of older freshman but he played like a senior and he can really do it all. Doesn't have Draymond vision but he passing the ball as fast and accurate as anyone I can remember as a prospect. Maybe LeBron has the same passing strength but it's such a limited number of guys with that passing speed.

Moves off the ball really well. High BBIQ, versatility is a strength. Like Draymond, he is still not NBA level in terms of conditioning. He like Draymond is 2 years away from major impact. Good to draft him 30th and lock him into a 4 year contract instead of a 2-3 year deal. 

I checked out the age thing. He started highschool, transfered to a different highschool after 3 month but had to go back to 8th grade. Because of this he had the redshirt (something about him.not graduating with his original high school class) his freshman year at Villanova.  It gave him a chance to work on his body and I'm glad he did - he was a fat kid.

The more I read, the more I like this, our own "Tractor Trailer" model.  If he is as good as reported here, Hawks may have found one of the steals of this year's draft.

Already looking, with excitement, for this fall and the beginning of a new season!!

• Like 4

High BBIQ..big that shoots well and passes well. Doesn’t mind physical contact which separates him a bit from Mike Scott. I loved Mike but he loved the finess game. I think Spellman will bang a bit more. Love the pick it fits our offense well. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gray Mule said:

The more I read, the more I like this, our own "Tractor Trailer" model.  If he is as good as reported here, Hawks may have found one of the steals of this year's draft.

Already looking, with excitement, for this fall and the beginning of a new season!!

YES GRAMPS. I was just gonna mention tractor! Haha great call from the squawk vet right there! He’s super mobile with his weight like Robert indeed.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

The season starts in Summer League gramps, where we will get our first glimpse of the youngins.

Anyone remember how fat Udonis Haslem was out of college? Ended up going overseas for 1 year after going undrafted,worked on his body and look at him now.

After leaving Florida in 2002, his weight ballooned in excess of 300 pounds. Haslem then signed with Chalon-Sur-Saône, a professional team in France.[8]While averaging 16.1 points and 9.4 rebounds per game, Haslem also managed to lose 70 pounds over the course of that year, which resulted in him earning a spot in the NBA summer league.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The season starts in Summer League gramps, where we will get our first glimpse of the youngins.

Anyone remember how fat Udonis Haslem was out of college? Ended up going overseas for 1 year after going undrafted,worked on his body and look at him now.

Yup..Udonis was in our camp..smh..ugh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turnermx said:

We gotta get him on those smoothies ? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

He reminds me of Mo Speights. Maybe not on his level as a scorer, but should be an event effective role player if not better.

Yup he’s Moish for sure. Hey, I’d rather him be Mo that Draymond who sleeps with prostitutes and it doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough. 

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Losing 70lbs in France is a serious accomplishment! Have you ever had french food? It's all butter and cream.

He has 1st round talent but mental strength with his weight is what has kept him down. He was the #1 recruit in Ohio and I think a top 20 overall nationally his Senior Year in High School. He was red shirted for being in the 300lb range, He lost the weight over that year and played decent during the regular season. He raised some eyebrows in Novas tourney run; and again when he declared for the draft

Many thought he would stay in college one more season to bump his draft stock up. I am hoping he is the classic player who is a better pro than he was a college player.

I said this in another post. Schlenk must believe he will stick and taking him in the really late first is sneaky smart over taking him for a short term 2nd round contract. If he booms by the end of his 2nd year; the savings will be in the millions over his 3rd and 4th years at 30th pick late 1st round money. Think about this: Spellman's projected four year cost is $9,290,258. If we had to resign him his 3rd or 4th year, that total or higher could be the 1st year cost of his new contract. Sneaky Smart move my friends!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2018/06/22/2018-nba-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections/#5d239de2642d

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup he’s Moish for sure. Hey, I’d rather him be Mo that Draymond who sleeps with prostitutes and it doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough. 

Why do you care Draymond's sex life? Please tell me you're not one of these sanctimonious, holier-than-thou types?

• Like 1