• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster / Schedule Released - All Things Summer League!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Sothron, Acie was trash because yes he lacked athletic ability but he lacked PG skills and shooting as well. Trae showed better PG skills than anyone we have had since the Bibbster. He clearly can pass exceptionally well. 

His shooting is WIP but I knew that already.

I didn't like the Acie Law pick back then but at least it wasn't our #3 pick in that draft. If we took Young at #19 I'd understand but still be disappointed. Where we took him was criminal. He really is just like Acie Law. Flashy college numbers against inferior competition without any athletic ability to play in the next level. Young is going to be out of the NBA by the end of his rookie contract.

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It is summer league, tonight things might be 100% different.

And even if it’s not 100% different (say only 25% different), it still won’t be time to panic. As it’s still just game 2 of SL ?

Just now, hazer said:

And even if it’s not 100% different (say only 25% different), it still won’t be time to panic. As it’s still just game 2 of SL ?

I am no where near panicking, I just want to be entertained.

Just now, Buzzard said:

I am no where near panicking, I just want to be entertained.

I was just speaking of HS in general ??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'll add my 2 cents

Initially Trae was playing well as were the Hawks with the exception of Trae's shot not falling.  They were moving the ball well and playing pretty good defense and rebounding the ball well.  As Trae continued to miss shots as badly as he was missing, he initially started driving and setting up teammates. He then started feeling the pressure and started to drive to get his own and when he started missing free throws, he pressed even more.  Trae then started taking ill advised shots which had a tremendous effect on his teammates in that they followed his lead and stopped moving the ball also.  Even Collins was taking ill advised shot during one stretch.  Then when JJJ started hitting everything he threw up from 3, the team went into full panic mode and was totally disorganized which led to the blow out.

This game show us several things but the main thing is how important the point guard position is in today's NBA.  The rest of the team get its energy and cues from that position and if the point guard is struggling, so will the rest of the team.  Trae needs to learn to keep his cool and understand that even if his shot isn't falling, he can be an effective leader.  That will come with time because the kid obviously has it.

Truth.  I really hope they advise him to stop the wild, deeeep 3's early in the shot clock.  That crap will alienate vet teammates quickly and is not conducive to winning IMHO.

Thas some ol' Limelo Ball crap.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I didn't like the Acie Law pick back then but at least it wasn't our #3 pick in that draft. If we took Young at #19 I'd understand but still be disappointed. Where we took him was criminal. He really is just like Acie Law. Flashy college numbers against inferior competition without any athletic ability to play in the next level. Young is going to be out of the NBA by the end of his rookie contract.

Put some money up behind that..I love delusional fan talk. 

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'll add my 2 cents

Initially Trae was playing well as were the Hawks with the exception of Trae's shot not falling.  They were moving the ball well and playing pretty good defense and rebounding the ball well.  As Trae continued to miss shots as badly as he was missing, he initially started driving and setting up teammates. He then started feeling the pressure and started to drive to get his own and when he started missing free throws, he pressed even more.  Trae then started taking ill advised shots which had a tremendous effect on his teammates in that they followed his lead and stopped moving the ball also.  Even Collins was taking ill advised shot during one stretch.  Then when JJJ started hitting everything he threw up from 3, the team went into full panic mode and was totally disorganized which led to the blow out.

This game show us several things but the main thing is how important the point guard position is in today's NBA.  The rest of the team get its energy and cues from that position and if the point guard is struggling, so will the rest of the team.  Trae needs to learn to keep his cool and understand that even if his shot isn't falling, he can be an effective leader.  That will come with time because the kid obviously has it.

This is a good analysis. I was worried about his decision making after that first game, but your're right about the whole team going into panic mode once JJJ caught fire. Now if his decision making is poor again tonight, I may start to think the sky is falling.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's more of a lack of man strength not his handles. 

He's just not yet able to absorb contact and play through it. That will take time.

#5 pick in the draft, well imo the 3rd pick should surely be able to get past summer league players.   Damn that dont sound good at all.  

4 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

#5 pick in the draft, well imo the 3rd pick should surely be able to get past summer league players.   Damn that dont sound good at all.  

I wouldn’t say he’s having an issue getting by anyone. He has the handles but he isn’t going to get by every player in the nba and will have to make moves such as step backs, size ups, etc, etc.....but even more than his bad shot selection what irritated me is him standing around when he didn’t have the ball in his hands. 

You have to move off the ball trae and he knows what’s a smart shot and what isn’t . He know he can’t keep launching those dumb ass 3s but the good thing he did is give us a preview of some all star passes...he has to learn he can be extremely effective without the ball in his hands 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

#5 pick in the draft, well imo the 3rd pick should surely be able to get past summer league players.   

He can and absolutely blow past summer league opposition.  That won't tell you much of anything about his ability to do that against NBA vets but he should be able to get where he needs to go against summer league competition.  SL is just for getting a little exercise, giving the young players a list of things to work on before the seasons starts, and having fun.  No big revelation is coming unless it is someone who shows he struggles with D-League competition and even then there are so few games and such little organization and the guys are so young that you can't draw too much even from that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He can and absolutely blow past summer league opposition.  That won't tell you much of anything about his ability to do that against NBA vets but he should be able to get where he needs to go against summer league competition.  SL is just for getting a little exercise, giving the young players a list of things to work on before the seasons starts, and having fun.  No big revelation is coming unless it is someone who shows he struggles with D-League competition and even then there are so few games and such little organization and the guys are so young that you can't draw too much even from that.

Ok good, I didnt watch the game just going by what the majority said on this thread.  

• Premium Member

I wanted us to keep Doncic, but Trae is a Hawk and I'm rooting for his success.

I was hoping Trae would have a John Collins-esque Summer League debut, but it's one game AND it's summer league. Shooting and shot selection was downright atrocious.

However, he did some good things otherwise: he got to the freethrow line, when he actually ran the offense he looked good, he moved his feet in man to man defense and didn't look as horrible as I thought he would.  ONE GAME!!!

Game 2 tonight - let's see how that goes.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Ok good, I didnt watch the game just going by what the majority said on this thread.  

It was a terrible game for him overall but he didn't struggle getting past the defense or playing reasonable defense himself.  His shooting was waaaayyyyy off the mark to the point where it seemed obvious he was psyched out and his shot selection was brutal.  I am assuming his shot will normalize and he will learn to play within himself more in the NBA game (i.e., taking more of what comes rather than forcing it which is something that Collins did to perfection last year).  There are plenty of warts he will need to work on but nothing to get too worked up over here until there is a much larger sample size to look at.

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I'm not saying he couldn't blow by anybody.  Just talking about his ability to absorb contact and play through it. Prince's 1st year, he would drive the ball but couldn't complete the shot if he had contact, this year was much better. 

Body just needs developing.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not saying he couldn't blow by anybody.  Just talking about his ability to absorb contact and play through it. Prince's 1st year, he would drive the ball but couldn't complete the shot if he had contact, this year was much better. 

Needing to develop more strength is just a given for most rookies and certainly the case here but it is really, really low on the list of potential issues for me.  That will improve significantly over the next couple years with time in the gym and normal physical maturation.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed.  It was a 'play through contact' issue which is to be expected for any rookie guard.  The Carter guy is built like a tank.  IIRC, he had the highest body/fat percentage or whatever at the combine.  Like a thicker version of Pat Beverly.  This will be the toughest backcourt Rayf will face in SL.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

It was a terrible game for him overall but he didn't struggle getting past the defense or playing reasonable defense himself.  His shooting was waaaayyyyy off the mark to the point where it seemed obvious he was psyched out and his shot selection was brutal.  I am assuming his shot will normalize and he will learn to play within himself more in the NBA game (i.e., taking more of what comes rather than forcing it which is something that Collins did to perfection last year).  There are plenty of warts he will need to work on but nothing to get too worked up over here until there is a much larger sample size to look at.

Agree with this pretty much.  He was forcing horrible shots then settled down and actually played decent basketball.

An added problem was he was pit against JJJ who was hitting everything.  He was hitting trick shots for crying out loud.  Based on that game, JJJ is an MVP candidate.  What I mean by that is that JJJ's performance is the one I don't expect to be repeated.

39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agreed.  It was a 'play through contact' issue which is to be expected for any rookie guard.  The Carter guy is built like a tank.  IIRC, he had the highest body/fat percentage or whatever at the combine.  Like a thicker version of Pat Beverly.  This will be the toughest backcourt Rayf will face in SL.

Agree with this pretty much.  He was forcing horrible shots then settled down and actually played decent basketball.

An added problem was he was pit against JJJ who was hitting everything.  He was hitting trick shots for crying out loud.  Based on that game, JJJ is an MVP candidate.  What I mean by that is that JJJ's performance is the one I don't expect to be repeated.

JJJ has the game of his career. If he ever hits 8 threes in a tea nba game I’ll change my name to ichabad crane!

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

He's going to hurt himself or someone else.  I was screaming at the screen that, as the rule is written, that's now an offensive foul.  I guess it's summer league for the refs too?

Meanwhile, kg is in regular-season ref hatin' form. :mellow:

I’m just in regular season hate mode period. Yesterday I wanted to throw feces at any warrior fan. Perhaps I’ll invite all my warrior friends (I’m seriously losing all my friends in the Bay Area cuz they all bitches) over this scrub team.