• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm liking what I see from Pierce

Dragitoff

1 hour ago, Dragitoff said:

Did anyone catch the Hawks video clip from practice today posted on Instagram?  It was a coach Pierce mic'd up.  The video was cool and all, but it shows Pierce pushing the guys and laughing with them.  It seems he's really connecting well with our guys quickly.  I know the report was he's widely respected around the league coming to the Hawks, but it's starting to show in the short time he's been here.  I remember reports about Bud that were similar early on (attending the Drake concert and stuff like that) so I'm sure that's just part of the gig, but it still makes me feel good about who is coaching the team these next few years.  

One other thing of note from that video was it looks like Trae and JC are developing a good connection.  At the very end of the video Pierce calls the team to a huddle after practice and it looked like JC bull rushes Trae and hugs him.  Good stuff.  

Glad to have you here! Have you ever spent time in a gymnasium before? Do you like gladiator movies?  What do you think of kareem?

• Premium Member

Call me cynical, but the NBA coaches graveyard is littered with coaches of ALL types, and there's not actually anything to get all that enthusiastic about just because Coach X is connecting with his players or just because Coach Y is instilling discipline that was missing previously or whatever.

Wake me up in two years, and let's see if this roster full of players offensively productive in college developed into good defenders.

• Premium Member

There is nothing Pierce can do right now that is reassuring to me, nor concerning to me. And I'm not making up reasons to judge him positively nor negatively when there's no actual substance to judge him on.

• Like 2

There is nothing Pierce can do right now that is reassuring to me, nor concerning to me. And I'm not making up reasons to judge him positively nor negatively when there's no actual substance to judge him on.

That's fair, but we need something to talk about. Summer League will be the first opportunity to see what this team is about.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with drawing positives from a difficult situation.  This SL may be the only time we are one big happy family....except that one uncle....he knows who he is....

3 hours ago, Flight said:

Saw the video, definitely great to see him engaged in a way that seems receptive. The more early chemistry Trae and JC build the better.

Hell I bet JCs happy. He’s got a guard that will be able to make him look MUCH better. 

• Like 4

I keep saying it, my biggest fear when we hired him was he was going to be the Black coach retread. You know. so-so coaching skills or good coaching skill but poor developer of talent and communicator in general. Doesn't get the modern NBA. Stubborn. Just doesn't get it. 

Then again, I did want the average white coach either. They are strong and coaching and gameplanning. Really good creative methods to develop but terrible communicators, robotic, think Basketball like chess but needs to see Basketball like 48 Rules of Power mixed in with relatability, interpersonal faith, and personal views. 

This is why so many white coaches who can coach flop. So many Black coaches who can relate, have agreed personal views and interpersonal faith fail to maintain a locker room and why so many guys have struggled when they have years of experience in this profession. 

It's not easy. Few, have the complete package. To me, just Pop. No one else. You have elite in arenas after that. 

You have the elite executive coach like Kerr. 

You have the elite level coaching skills like Stevens. 

You have the best are relating to his players Fizdale till he couldn't relate to Marc Gasol. 

You have all types of great coaches but few have the complete package. 

What Pierce has is the logic, mindset, work ethic, modern understanding of the way the game is played today, humble yet confident, willingness to improve, compassion, self drive, you can relate to him and he smart as heck. This might be the most underrated hire I've seen in ages. He shown me more without coaching a game in many ways than I've seen from all of the Black coaches I've seen and he's pretty high on list of all white or white identity coaches I've seen. 

He might be the coach I've always dreamed of which the NBA NEVER SEEMS to hire. A Black coach with the potential to be GOAT coach. I have faith in him. I officially like him more than I've ever liked Bud but I am no fool. Bud has proven to me that he's the best coach in our franchise history right next to Lenny Wilkins who is one of the best to do it. By far, the best Black coach to do it. I am cheering for him. As a Black man, it makes me feel good to see a brother get a chance who's not in the brotherhood which is all the NBA seems to hire and you wonder why Black coaches are never seen as great to the general public. Almost all of them have played in the NBA or at least have someone they are directly related to in the NBA before them. Pierce doesn't have that history. 

• Like 4

I haven’t seen the video but sounds encouraging.  I’m pessimistic about anything related to Brett Brown but he’s our guy now so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's not easy. Few, have the complete package. To me, just Pop. No one else. You have elite in arenas after that. 

You have the elite executive coach like Kerr. 

You have the elite level coaching skills like Stevens. 

You have the best are relating to his players Fizdale till he couldn't relate to Marc Gasol. 

You have all types of great coaches but few have the complete package. 

And you got Spo who drags bad rosters to the playoffs and the only coach to get LeBron to defend to his potential.

• Like 2

Just now, benhillboy said:

I haven’t seen the video but sounds encouraging.  I’m pessimistic about anything related to Brett Brown but he’s our guy now so he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And you got Spo who drags bad rosters to the playoffs and the only coach to get LeBron to defend to his potential.

I think Spo is a fantastic coach in terms of adjustment to personnel. One of the most underrated elements of his coaching ability. He's not a good game coach but he does some pretty good gameplans and he always has developed talent. He's a good coach, one of the better coaches in the NBA. To be a great coach is so hard. So much is required but Spo has a lot of good qualities. 

• Like 2

Brett Brown is a good coach to me. He has always gotten more out of his personnel and he's an excellent coach in terms of relations and communication. His game coaching skills are poor and he is really going to have to improve in that area. It wasn't as important in the past as he wasn't with a good team but now it is.