Who stays?

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Hawks currently have 12 guaranteed roster spots.  

Do we start the season with 14 or 15?

Who gets to stay with Big club? Antonius Cleveland or Jaylen Morris? I don't think we keep both. My vote is for Cleveland.

Jaylen Adams is on a 2 way GL contract, who gets the 2nd?  I say bring Kaba over and sign him to a GL 2way contract.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who gets to stay with Big club? Antonius Cleveland or Jaylen Morris? I don't think we keep both. My vote is for Cleveland.

Jaylen Adams is on a 2 way GL contract, who gets the 2nd?  I say bring Kaba over and sign him to a GL 2way contract.

Yup for me as well. Jaylen Morris isn’t there yet but love Adams, Cleveland and Kaba. Honestly never thought Kaba was going to be heard from this loudly. I’m with you ?!

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The drafting of Heurter was the end for Jaylen Morris.  Kaba will not be coming. We need to spend 12 million more to get over the league minimum. We will be signing 2 vets (probably).

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. By what date do we have to have the minimum satisfied?

2. What's the league penalty for not satisfying the minimum?

Okay so the minimum is by the end of the season and its based on your final roster...not salary paid.

The penalty is you pay the difference between the team salary and the minimum. The minimum is 90% of the salary cap so the minimum is 101.9m x.9 =91.71 million.  Our current salary (minus holds) = 80.4 million.  The penalty is redistributed to your roster based on the Percentage of team salary they hold.

So there is absolutely no reason not to hit the minimum because you will pay it regardless.  Spend 80 million but pay 91.71 million....Spend 91 million, but pay 91.71 million.  Spending less = poorer roster.

• Like 1

Cleveland is a Hawk.  He ain't going any where.  Don't forget, last season he had two ten day contracts, then was signed for the remainder of the season.  All this while he was on the disabled list and couldn't play.

Someone on the Hawks thought a lot of him to do this and now the posters here, watching him play and being healthy, are also enthused over him.

Pulled a sneaky on those who weren't looking, didn't they!

GO HAWKS !!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thecampster said:

Okay so the minimum is by the end of the season and its based on your final roster...not salary paid.

The penalty is you pay the difference between the team salary and the minimum. The minimum is 90% of the salary cap so the minimum is 101.9m x.9 =91.71 million.  Our current salary (minus holds) = 80.4 million.  The penalty is redistributed to your roster based on the Percentage of team salary they hold.

So there is absolutely no reason not to hit the minimum because you will pay it regardless.  Spend 80 million but pay 91.71 million....Spend 91 million, but pay 91.71 million.  Spending less = poorer roster.

There is if we want more wiggle room to take on a bad contract.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

There is if we want more wiggle room to take on a bad contract.

Exactly, since we don't need to hit the dloor until seasons end we can keep our capspace unti the deadline if we have to.

This statement doesn't seem as if we'll be signing any free agents with our capspace but rather using it to make trades.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thanks. Did he say who might get the 2nd two way GL contract?

No, he just said that we're going with the 14 players we have right now to maintain flexibility and that he could easily create 2 more spots because of Cleveland and Morris' non guaranteed contracts. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, thecampster said:

Thanks for that explanation.  Good info

• Moderators
12 hours ago, thecampster said:

This also goes to the value of having space when the season starts.  There will be one or more teams during the year that end up desperate to get below the tax line and need some help.  There is definitely value in being able to facilitate that or to facilitate trades where you can take on salary (not just trades where a team is willing to pay to dump salary but being the third party that makes a value trade work).  

To be completely honest besides the players that we've drafted and already have under contract ( Jaylen Adams) I don't want any of these players. I would take Junior Robinson because I love an under dog or see what we can mold Zach Smith's athleticism into but Morris nor Cleveland really impress me. I would take Kaba over all of them currently and he isn't a must (also read not this year from him). Spellman has shown me alot, Dorsey is our summer league best player (omitting John Collins) and Trae is finally starting to show the playmaking and shooting abilities we hoped he'd posses.

If the free agents available actually fit our team mold and style of play it would be an option but I see none that do. I would take a gamble on Jabari Parker and I'd even do a Moose/Dennis trade for Bledsoe and Parker just to give Bud some of his guys( & get rid of Moose). By default I guess our choices are limited to Morris and Cleveland which aren't bad but not great either. We have currently Dennis, Trae, J. Adams, Tyler D., Deandre, Heurter, Kent, Taurean with Omari, John, Dywane, Miles and Mike as bigs currently so we can go many different ways with the last 2 slots. For now I guess you can give it to Morris and Cleveland and we'll probably know more after we make a trade or 2.

Hopefully that means bye to Baze and Moose. Unfortunately Dennis might be joining them but he asked for it unless they can show us a squad that is unstoppable with 2 guards. It's position less basketball so possible. Unlikely but possible.