• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here is an article on Peachtree Hopps that attempts to explain the Lin trade

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Here is the link to the article

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/13/17568606/break-down-atlanta-hawks-trade-acquisition-jeremy-lin-brooklyn-nets-denver-nuggets-salary-cap-nba

But there is a paragraph in particular worth examining.

There’s a school of thought that theorized that the Hawks already have a buyer for Schröder lined up, so they brought Lin in as a short-term replacement until Trae Young is ready to take over the team in his sophomore season, but given that the organization is committed to a long-term rebuild (read: tanking) this season, spending $13.8 million of valuable cap space on a point guard to shepherd a losing team doesn’t make a ton of sense. There are plenty of options available for the minimum who wouldn’t have been nearly as good as Lin, but again, they don’t want to be good anyway.

Is this a narrative created by the media covering the Hawks or is this truly the team's primary focus?  I understand the team isn't in the market for marquee free agents but is Seigel insinuating that the team will attempt to lose on purpose this year also?  I don't mind watching a young try hard team that ultimately comes up short on many night but that dog and pony show last year can't be the goal this year also can it?  If that is the case, how will this affect the current players?  Even if it is the intent of the GM and coaches to win every game, how will the players be affected by all of the media reports of the team's desire to loose.  Will the development of John Collins, Prince, Trae etc be affected by such reporting?  Will they want to get the heck out of town as soon as possible like the players on the Timber wolves.  I am starting become a little concerned about the up coming season and the direction of this franchise.

It's chapter and verse of what KB has been saying all summer.  And part of the narrative I've been talking about, is how the Hawks want to operate as cheap as possible.

When Dennis is traded, look for it to be a multiple team trade in which the main thing we get back are 2nd round picks and cash .... not a player.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeeep.

The question is what will be the long term effects on the current players and can you show up 2 years from now if they are still on the team and say to them, its time to win now

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The question is what will be the long term effects on the current players and can you show up 2 years from now if they are still on the team and say to them, its time to win now

Players ALWAYS play to win once they hit the floor.

Did Collins look like he gave a crap that the Hawks were tanking last season from his play in Summer League.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Players ALWAYS play to win once they hit the floor.

Did Collins look like he gave a crap that the Hawks were tanking last season from his play in Summer League.

Collins was a rookie but I bet if he was jerked around this year like he was last year meaning the coach playing the like of Babbitt or Cavanaugh over him, he wouldn't be happy.  Even Tae stated that he wasn't happy with not playing last night because he had stated in a previous interview his goal of winning the summer league championship

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's chapter and verse of what KB has been saying all summer.  And part of the narrative I've been talking about, is how the Hawks want to operate as cheap as possible.

When Dennis is traded, look for it to be a multiple team trade in which the main thing we get back are 2nd round picks and cash .... not a player.

The Hawks absolutely want to lose again this year but her narrative about being as cheap as possible is just a fantasy.  You don’t take on $14M for your backup pg for cheapness.  You don’t trade for Jamal Crawford for cheapness.  You don’t take on Plumlee for cheapness.

With the new lottery odds I’m not sure they’ll tank as hard as last year (more talent they plan to keep means more focus on development) but the basic premise of “you get a pick within 3 spots of where you finish” still incentives tanking and I do think the roster has been constructed with an eye towards losing plenty of games this year. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Hawks absolutely want to lose again this year but her narrative about being as cheap as possible is just a fantasy.

My question is what does "wanting to lose" mean.  Last year it meant shutting down healthy players, playing non nonsensical line ups, signing useless 2 way players and then bringing them up to play in multiple games, limiting your best player's minutes and line ups particularly at key stages in games.  Will we see that this year also?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

My question is what does "wanting to lose" mean.  Last year it meant shutting down healthy players, playing non nonsensical line ups, signing useless 2 way players and then bringing them up to play in multiple games, limiting your best player's minutes and line ups particularly at key stages in games.  Will we see that this year also?

The players will try to win, but this team is young so I don't see too  many wins this season.  30 MAX.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I've been saying all along this is a cheap owner.  He has brought a GM in that has no clue.  They traded the 3rd pick for the 5th to save $$$ imo.  Total failure and KB is dead on correct.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm 100% positive the players will give maximum effort.  Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

My question is will the line up be manipulated like last year??? A good example is Jock Landale starting in summer league over Kaba.. Will that happen during the year? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

My question is will the line up be manipulated like last year??? A good example is Jock Landale starting in summer league over Kaba.. Will that happen during the year? 

Shrugs.

Are you trying to say that team intentionally lost summer league games? I'm pretty sure no one in the organization cares about winning in summer league.  As much as I hated Landate starting, he probably practiced way better than Kaba and that' mabe why they started him.  God knows I have no idea why they did it.

They rested players in summer league because they were going on their 3rd and 4th games in a row. Their injury risk goes way up playing that many games in a row and everyone would be pretty pissed if one of the players that will actually make the team gets injured in a meaningless summer league game because the team is chasing some "summer league championship".

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Shrugs.

Are you trying to say that team intentionally lost summer league games? I'm pretty sure no one in the organization cares about winning in summer league.  As much as I hated Landate starting, he probably practiced way better than Kaba and that' mabe why they started him.  God knows I have no idea why they did it.

They rested players in summer league because they were going on their 3rd and 4th games in a row. Their injury risk goes way up playing that many games in a row and everyone would be pretty pissed if one of the players that will actually make the team gets injured in a meaningless summer league game because the team is chasing some "summer league championship".

How did you get that out of my original question...The question is will the roster be manipulated like last year where players were shut down with minor injuries and a bunch of G-leaguer were playing toward the end of the season.  By the way, there is noway anybody watching Landale and Kaba play that you would conclude that Landale is better.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Hawks absolutely want to lose again this year but her narrative about being as cheap as possible is just a fantasy.  You don’t take on $14M for your backup pg for cheapness.  You don’t trade for Jamal Crawford for cheapness.  You don’t take on Plumlee for cheapness.

With the new lottery odds I’m not sure they’ll tank as hard as last year (more talent they plan to keep means more focus on development) but the basic premise of “you get a pick within 3 spots of where you finish” still incentives tanking and I do think the roster has been constructed with an eye towards losing plenty of games this year. 

Salary cap floor is 91.7 million for next season.   A salary they'll have to pay out, no matter what.

Hawks are currently at 89.7 million.

The non-guaranteed contracts of Cleveland and Morris add another 2.74 million to the payroll, bringing the Hawks just above the salary cap floor.

Had they stayed significantly under the salary cap floor, they would've had to pay out millions to the players at the end of the season, to make up the difference.

So when I say operating on the cheap, I mean doing the bare minimum of what they're required to do.  Splurging on Lin really doesn't matter, because they'd have to pay that money out anyway.  And when they deal Dennis, they probably won't take back a player, but they'll take that cash.

The summer of 2019 will show what they're really about.  They'll be significantly under the cap, if they deal Dennis for picks and cash.   If they can't get a significant free agent, they'll play the minimum route once again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How did you get that out of my original question...The question is will the roster be manipulated like last year where players were shut down with minor injuries and a bunch of G-leaguer were playing toward the end of the season.  By the way, there is noway anybody watching Landale and Kaba play that you would conclude that Landale is better.

I also read your other post in another thread asking why they were resting players.  Just threw it all in one response.