• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OKC and Atlanta in talks - Dennis and Muscala for Melo - Deal Done (Not Fake News)

JayBirdHawk

51 minutes ago, AHF said:

that draft looks like it will be stacked

?...We don’t mind you shooting hoops, but not during school hours and not with you leering at the junior high kids...

-the police ? to AHF regarding scouting the 2022 draft now...

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

?...We don’t mind you shooting hoops, but not during school hours and not with you leering at the junior high kids...

-the police ? to AHF regarding scouting the 2022 draft now...

lol

Again, not looking at the actual players just that there will be two classes combined into one draft.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

And what did Ryan Anderson ever do to you??? *wink*

Why of course, I'd want something more than Ryan Anderson. That's the point. Hold Melo hostage until they offer some asset in the deal.

Melo has a no-trade clause. This trade doesn't happen without him agreeing to it. He has all the leverage - which is why he is getting his full salary in the buyout and why the Hawks can not hold him hostage as you suggest. 

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We just cleared cap by trading Dennis, why muck it back up by getting Anderson and his $21 mil next offseason.

1. Oops.

I failed to recall that he still has another season on that contract after this one.

2. Then again.

a) Hardly anyone really thinks we're going to be attractive as a FA destination as soon as next off-season anyhow.

b) All the more ammunition for demanding an even better compensation/asset than I was originally prepared to ask for.

So from where I sit, actually, I think I like it even better than I did when I originally proposed it.

27 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

True dat..I’ve just been mad at espn for...ever I guess.

Chad Ford did me in on them. I could not stand that guy. Hiring Woj gave them back some credibility in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, johnnyde said:

Melo has a no-trade clause. This trade doesn't happen without him agreeing to it. He has all the leverage - which is why he is getting his full salary in the buyout and why the Hawks can not hold him hostage as you suggest. 

Well, no, we hold the leverage because ultimately we control the contract for as long as we want to control the contract.

And while you're correct that it's likely true that his trade clause would prevent us from trading him to just anyone, just as it did while he was OKC property, it's also true that HOU already is understood to be his preferred destination. And the reality is, he likely would be happy to be under contract to practically any franchise that isn't us.

By the way, MIA evidently also had or has some interest in his services, fwiw.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. Oops.

I failed to recall that he still has another season on that contract after this one.

2. Then again.

a) Hardly anyone really thinks we're going to be attractive as a FA destination as soon as next off-season anyhow.

b) All the more ammunition for demanding an even better compensation/asset than I was originally prepared to ask for.

So from where I sit, actually, I think I like it even better than I did when I originally proposed it.

I'd do it for a 1st round pick

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Well, no, we hold the leverage because ultimately we control the contract for as long as we want to control the contract.

And while you're correct that it's likely true that his trade clause would prevent us from trading him to just anyone, just as it did while he was OKC property, it's also true that HOU already is understood to be his preferred destination. And the reality is, he likely would be happy to be under contract to practically any franchise that isn't us.

By the way, MIA evidently also had or has some interest in his services, fwiw.

We agreed to buy him out; that is why the trade went through, Do you really expect our GM to go back on his word? Seriously, it is called the NBA Players Union. I don't want every good free agent black balling us as we try to rebuild, We are already viewed badly enough and are just now getting over the ASG fiasco. Lets try and be a 1st class organization for at least the next few decades.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We agreed to buy him out; that is why the trade went through, Do you really expect our GM to go back on his word? Seriously, it is called the NBA Players Union. I don't want every good free agent black balling us as we try to rebuild, We are already viewed badly enough and are just now getting over the ASG fiasco. Lets try and be a 1st class organization for at least the next few decades.

Good point(s).  I wonder how the Isaiah Thomas and, to a lesser degree, Marcus (not so)Smart situations are gonna impact Dan E. strAinge when it comes to free agents going forward.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, once we buyout sMelo, do we then have that capspace back to use in a subsequent buyout deal?  Paging @JayBirdHawk .... get outta the kitchen and give us some CBA knowledge, please. :happy:

If Burd is too busy with her casserole, does anyone else have any thoughts on that?  There's plenty of tax teams out there that may need our help ... in exchange for a moderate fee.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Again.

Before we entered the picture, he reportedly waived his no-trade clause, @Buzzard.

OKC then worked out a deal with us.

The assumption that we spoke with him and made promises is just that... an assumption.

If the assumption is correct, okay, yes, no disagreement, integrity demands we do what we said we'd do.

But I don't know that what you suggest happened necessarily happened... or had any reason to happen. The clause was already waived, and OKC could proceed as they saw fit.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Bingo. The buyout was part of the agreement. Otherwise the trade was never gonna happen. We wanted future cap relief and OKC was willing to take a chance on Schro as a 6th man... a role he showed is better suited for than starting PG. It was a win, win. 

Just now, kg01 said:

Good point(s).  I wonder how the Isaiah Thomas and, to a lesser degree, Marcus (not so)Smart situations are gonna impact Dan E. strAinge when it comes to free agents going forward.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, once we buyout sMelo, do we then have that capspace back to use in a subsequent buyout deal?  Paging @JayBirdHawk .... get outta the kitchen and give us some CBA knowledge, please. :happy:

If Burd is too busy with her casserole, does anyone else have any thoughts on that?  There's plenty of tax teams out there that may need our help ... in exchange for a moderate fee.

No. Melo's cap hit stays for the season. That is why OKC did not just buy him out.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The buyout was part of the agreement. Otherwise the trade was never gonna happen.

Again, again. No. The clause had already been waived. Waived means waived. The trade was going to happen as long as OKC wanted to make the trade.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Lin's not a bad player, but injured a little too much and got saddled with Lin-sanity in NYC.  I really like him as a mentor for Trae.  Hopefully Lin is ready to play come November and can take the starting duties for a while until Trae gets himself acclimated to the NBA. No need to start that kid and ruin his confidence so early. 

As far as the trade, I'm happy with it. Dennis had run out the string here and he needed to go. Getting what we did is great.  Not sure how much better we could have done given Dennis' perceived value and legal issues. 

Lin is a solid bench player. Pretty much will give us the same value as Schröder would but without the headaches. 

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Again.

Before we entered the picture, he reportedly waived his no-trade clause, @Buzzard.

The assumption that we spoke with him and made promises is just that... an assumption.

If the assumption is correct, okay, yes, no disagreement, integrity demands we do what we said we'd do.

But I don't know that what you suggest happened necessarily happened... or had any reason to happen. The clause was already waived, and OKC could proceed as they saw fit.

You need to get up to speed on your reading is all. Start about a month ago when it was first reported he would waive his NT clause so long as it was an agreed to destination that would buy him out. It was only previously waived only for the NY trade, That is the protection; it is for each trade,

Otherwise teams would trick players all the time by sending him to where he wants to go and then trading him 90 days later to a place he does not want to go.

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Again, again. No. The clause had already been waived. Waived means waived. The trade was going to happen as long as OKC wanted to make the trade.

The NT is for each trade. It is never permanently removed.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

These things are agreed to behind closed doors in good faith. Atlanta wasn't interested in Melo or whatever value he may have anyway. All they wanted was cap relief. Period. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Again.

IIUC, the clause stays with his deal.  IOW, when he waived it to get to OKC, it didn't do away with the no-trade. IOW, he still has a no-trade right now.

Maybe I don't understand exactly what you're proposing we do.

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

No. Melo's cap hit stays for the season. That is why OKC did not just buy him out.

Heeey, you're not jayburd ..... by why are you wearing her apron?

Thanks for the info, though.:happy:

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate.  I mean like 99% sure.