• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rockets after Baze

Vol4ever

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Thing is, Houston has been trying to move him since they gave him that contract. There are a ton of teams that can use a 3 point shooting stretch 4, just not at $20 mil and one dimensional. 

In any trade, I think we'd just be taking back bad salary but probably in two smaller deals and for longer than the 2 years remaining.

True, true.  I guess I'm half-hoping that him being an expiring would offset the horrible-ness of his contract.  But, as you reiterate, the salary-matching still makes it cumbersome.  Surely there's a way to make it work in year 3 of 4, certainly more so than it would've been possible in year 1 of 4.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

True, true.  I guess I'm half-hoping that him being an expiring would offset the horrible-ness of his contract.  But, as you reiterate, the salary-matching still makes it cumbersome.  Surely there's a way to make it work in year 3 of 4, certainly more so than it would've been possible in year 1 of 4.

True regarding year 3 and 4, but teams are hoarding capspace for 2019. So it makes it doubly hard to move him.

32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Baze and don't want to trade him for just a future 1st without getting an asset or cap relief.  But i feel like we're overrating him and his impact on the court.   On a team like the Rockets I think he's a 15 minute a night player.   

I don’t want to prop Baze up like he’s an All Star, but he is a plus defender and efficient shooter. Yeah he’s overpaid, but there’s a reason a championship contender wants to add him to their roster. He likely gets 25 minutes or more backing up both wing positions.

• Moderators

Dwight was a huge negative to keep around so we had to pay to get rid of him.  Dennis was less of a negative but there were downsides to having him here this season (we drafted our future PG, Dennis didn't want to be here).   With Baze there really is no downside to having him here this season so unless we are getting salary relief from moving him or really, really good future assets in return then I don't see the point.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Dwight was a huge negative to keep around so we had to pay to get rid of him.  Dennis was less of a negative but there were downsides to having him here this season (we drafted our future PG, Dennis didn't want to be here).   With Baze there really is no downside to having him here this season so unless we are getting salary relief from moving him or really, really good future assets in return then I don't see the point.  

Taking in Plumlee and trading down in the draft was not s cheap price.  

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Taking in Plumlee and trading down in the draft was not s cheap price.  

Considering that the Hornets had to take on a worse contract in Mozgov to get rid of Dwight as an expiring, maybe it was a better trade than we thought.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

Considering that the Hornets had to take on a worse contract in Mozgov to get rid of Dwight as an expiring, maybe it was a better trade than we thought.

I'll take two years of double digit millions over three years of double digit millions especially if it also means I don't degrade my draft pick in the process.  It is neither here nor their at the end of the day as it is done at this point.  

Just wasn't impressed with the trade at the time and am still not impressed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Trades are fun to analyze at the moment.

But in truth, with rarely any solid basis for real-world comparison of all other options that were on the table, the analysis is inherently flawed.

Retrospective analysis, then, is really the only kind that enjoys legitimate gravity... ie, knowing how things actually turned out for the teams involved.

In the case of the DH trade, I'm not impressed with what we got, but I'm also not impressed with what Charlotte got. It proved little about Schlenk's trade savvy either to the positive or the negative.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll take two years of double digit millions over three years of double digit millions especially if it also means I don't degrade my draft pick in the process.  It is neither here nor their at the end of the day as it is done at this point.  

Just wasn't impressed with the trade at the time and am still not impressed.

You don't have to be impressed. It was a necessary evil.  

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, High5 said:

Better is better whether it's by a lot or "not much." 

Adding 12M of salary in year 3 and downgrading your draft pick is arguably worse than cutting let alone potential alternative trades.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-trade-chinanu-onuaku-220412540.html

Rockets just cleared a roster spot, almost 2 mil in salary. Looks like this is preparing for dump Anderson deal somewhere.

FYI, rockets have also looked at JR Smith instead of Baze.

They don’t want to pay for someone to take Anderson so they are willing to accept a lesser player and some crazy to keep those future assets.  

1 minute ago, AHF said:

They don’t want to pay for someone to take Anderson so they are willing to accept a lesser player and some crazy to keep those future assets.  

They'll pay, they are just trying to squeeze out the best deal.  They are already into the LT as repeat offenders and every dollar they dump.  Their current penalty range is in the $3.50/dollar range which means every dollar in salary they clear is a savings of $4.50.  So lets look at the Onuaku waive at $1.544 million. Assuming someone picks him up, they just saved $6.95 million in salary + tax.

So assume for a minute they can dump about $5 million/year in dumping Anderson, its a $22.5 million dollar savings (or a bit less because it pushes them to a lower range).  If in some crazy world they can eliminate about $11 million in salary it is going to push them out of the LT and save them about $35 million total (ish).

As long as it isn't a talent loss in the short term for them, they'll do it.  Adding Baze over Anderson or Smith over Anderson could have been the nudge they needed last year.  They're going to send out picks, they are just looking for the best net deal over the next two years (their best window).

Just now, Spud2nique said:

“Trae behind the back again and finds Ryan Anderson from 35 feet out for his 8th three of the night!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!”:Bob:

“Well Bob we already know Trae can find people, but maaaaan o maaaaann, you know what...this some Derek Nowinski stuff going on here tonight Bob.” :Nique:

-Random game in December...

/clap /clap

• Like 4