• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are you most excited about for the new season.

thecampster

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I personally think that if we could extend some of the players we have (Len, Lin, Dedmon, Bazemore).

Extentions not allowed for Len and Dedmon per CBA: Contracts for fewer than THREE seasons may not be extended. 

We just signed Len to a new 2 year contract so he cannot be extented. Dedmon nor Dorsey qualify for extentions.

Lin is making $13.7  million - extending his contract means paying him more than his current salary (I think 8% raises)  - no way I'm intereted in paying a guy 30 year old Lin coming of major surgery more money and years.

Same for Baze - extending his current contract is paying him more money.  If you want to keep Baze, Ideally, you would like Baze to decline his player option of $19 million next season and resign him for a longer deal but half that salary, something like 3 years/$30 mil.

Just not good financial sense to extend Lin or Baze. Why tie up valuable offseason capspace when there is no need to do do.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Watchman said:

I don't think Bud was the one who was drunk.  You enjoying rewriting history?

I think history shows Bud was the one actually arrested (not convicted) drunk driving!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Extentions not allowed for Len and Dedmon per CBA: Contracts for fewer than THREE seasons may not be extended. 

We just signed Len to a new 2 year contract so he cannot be extented. Dedmon nor Dorsey qualify for extentions.

Lin is making $13.7  million - extending his contract means paying him more than his current salary (I think 8% raises)  - no way I'm intereted in paying a guy 30 year old Lin coming of major surgery more money and years.

Same for Baze - extending his current contract is paying him more money.  If you want to keep Baze, Ideally, you would like Baze to decline his player option of $19 million next season and resign him for a longer deal but half that salary, something like 3 years/$30 mil.

Just not good financial sense to extend Lin or Baze. Why tie up valuable offseason capspace when there is no need to do do.

Extend was a poor choice of words on my part, but I think you caught my drift. (let's keep the good players who want to be here, rather than pay has been to go to other teams. I would much rather overpay Baze than to pay people like Crawford and Anthony, people who despise us, but expect us to pay them superstar money to send them away.  I suspect their view of us is pretty common among star players.  We're not big players in the free agent market as you know.  Cap space is a bogus asset for us.

4 hours ago, marco102 said:

What do you mean there was enough critism to go around in a PRACTICE?  They were working on defense specifically and the coach was letting Trae know how he'd get eaten alive if he was using a specific technique.  It was a 3 minute cut up of practice.  You don't know what other players were called out.  He did it in a way that was not demeaning, but teaching.

The last comment is completely wrong.  John does PLENTY to contribute to winning. I believe he had the most win shares last season.  I believe the team will be MUCH better with JC at powerforward instead of a 40 year old Vince Carter.

Just my two cents.

Agreed... If we looked that good without him imagine how we'll look when he, Dedmon and Anderson return. He's not a ball stopper or anything of that nature and with his talent he should be nothing but a positive impact. 

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This^^ Although I wouldn't mind resigning Dedmon and possibly Lin down the road. I think between Bembry, Dorsey, Anderson and Huerter it will be a smooth transition when Bazemore is no longer on the team whether this year or 2 yrs from now. 2 many wings that have potential to be/get way better than Baze.

22 hours ago, thecampster said:

Then you aren't watching man. There are things to get excited about...most of it is scouting our future potential, who will be here going forward.  There are story lines.  Its not all about the basketball you know. Part of being a fan of the Hawks is about being a fan of the individuals, their stories, their personalities. Pierce is an interesting guy. Collins, Trae, Len, Prince are all very likable guys.  Lin's redemption, Carter's last hurrah before he steps into coaching. There are story lines.  At least you can be interested in some of that.

No. Nothing but misery is what it sounds like.

20 hours ago, AHF said:

Most excited to watch our young guys develop.  Very happy with what we saw from Prince and Collins and can’t wait to add the rookies and young vets like Len, Dorsey and Bembry.  It is likely not all will pan out but I’m excited to watch as some develop quickly, others take a longer path, etc.

Seeing our youngsters develop is what this season is all about for me.

I rarely hear anyone mention Dedmon as a key cog or a nice piece. I like his game and what he brings to the team; nice size, nice effort, above average shooting, makes FTs, defends, rebounds, not a liability during any point in the game, not a liability in transition. O would like to see him develop a mid range for pnr or pnp.

I wod like to resign Dedmon.

Just now, JCDBaptist said:

I rarely hear anyone mention Dedmon as a key cog or a nice piece. I like his game and what he brings to the team; nice size, nice effort, above average shooting, makes FTs, defends, rebounds, not a liability during any point in the game, not a liability in transition. O would like to see him develop a mid range for pnr or pnp.

I wod like to resign Dedmon.

*would like to

• Like 2

As for the thread topic, it's obviously Trae, and if he can truly be an impact player in his rookie season.  If he can shoot 42% FG - 38% 3FG - and dish out 8+ assists in his rookie year, I'll be extremely happy with selecting Trae.   

If things really go south, there's a chance that Trae could put up enough shots to have a Damon Stoudamire type rookie year with the 1995 - 96 Toronto Raptors, who were in their 1st year of existence as an expansion team.  Damon played a whopping 41 minutes a game in his rookie season and the Raptors won only 21 games ( ironically. my prediction for the Hawks this year ).  In today's NBA, guys just don't play 40+ minutes anymore, so I'll put up Damon's Per 36 minute numbers.

• 16.7 ppg
  • 8.2 asst
  • 3.5 rebs
  • 1.2 stls
  • 3.4 TOs

• 43% FG
  • 40% 3FG
  • 80% FT

• 16.7 PER
  • 52.8% TS
  • 23.5% Usage
  • .072 WS/48
  • 1.0 VORP

Damon won Rookie of the Year with these stats, although the fact that he was playing 40+ minutes a game boosted his PPG to 19.5 and his APG to 9.3.  Despite the gaudy raw numbers in his first few years in the league, his efficiency as an offensive player, as well as being a defensive liability ( due to his size ), limited "Mighty Mouse" from being a All-Star PG, to being a solid starter who could provide flashes of brilliance here and there.

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:
  • 16.7 ppg
  • 8.2 asst
  • 3.5 rebs
  • 1.2 stls
  • 3.4 TO

Damn...those could actually be Trae’s numbers for year 1. I remember Mighty Mouse. I really rooted for his Blazer teams to beat the Lakers a few years after his rookie year. Good player but I think Trae will end up being a lot better. I understand Damon was pretty good but honeslty Trae is something else.

Ps less than 3.5 boards for Trae..maybe around 3.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Damn...those could actually be Trae’s numbers for year 1. I remember Mighty Mouse. I really rooted for his Blazer teams to beat the Lakers a few years after his rookie year. Good player but I think Trae will end up being a lot better. I understand Damon was pretty good but honeslty Trae is something else.

Ps less than 3.5 boards for Trae..maybe around 3.

This is Damon in his rookie year.   In this particular game, they beat the best team of all time ( the 1995 - 96 Chicago Bulls, who were 60 - 7 at this point in the season ).   Damon plays all but 2 minutes in this game, and the Raptors only played 7 players.  The Raptors were only 17 - 49.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is Damon in his rookie year.   In this particular game, they beat the best team of all time ( the 1995 - 96 Chicago Bulls, who were 60 - 7 at this point in the season ).   Damon plays all but 2 minutes in this game, and the Raptors only played 7 players.  The Raptors were only 17 - 49.

No I’m old enough and used to watch basketball back then so I remember Damon via my photographic memory.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If you're not winning, are you truly developing?  Ask the Kings, who have been developing people since the end of the Chris Webber era.

Did Taurean Prince and John Collins develop their games last season despite the team not winning many games? Yes or No.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Did Taurean Prince and John Collins develop their games last season despite the team not winning many games? Yes or No.

I will say no...Prince could always shoot.  He still struggles in pick and roll and dribbling. Also his defense regressed last year.  John is just good at what he does best.  He didn't try to do anything that he struggled with last year like shooting from distance and putting the ball on the floor.  They both looked to have improved over the summer though.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think the talent was there for both but as far as developing some skills that needed to be sharpened? Playing freely without worry about the situation or score does allow for more creativity thus building confidence. So probably yes for me.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I will say no...Prince could always shoot.  He still struggles in pick and roll and dribbling. Also his defense regressed last year.  John is just good at what he does best.  He didn't try to do anything that he struggled with last year like shooting from distance and putting the ball on the floor.  They both looked to have improved over the summer though.

Last season?  I'd have to agree with Peoria and say no.

To me, development means that not only have you expanded your game, the expansion leads to the team playing better.   Collins was held back, and only allowed to function in the pick and roll, and not as a potential go-to scorer.  We saw a glimpse of his expansion in summer league, with him hitting 3s.  So let's see if he can make a decent percentage from 3 point range, and if the added range makes him and his team better.

With Prince, I have to agree with Peoria in that he's been a guy who could always shoot.  He showed that in college.  What we saw at the end of the year was Prince being allowed to take any shot he wanted, seeing that we'd traded Ilyasova and Belinelli, Baze was "hurt", and Dennis also gets "hurt".   If Prince can sustain that level of play, with opponents treating him like he's one of our best players, I'll concede that he is developing. 

But I still need that "development" to translate to more team success on the court.

• Like 1