• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are you most excited about for the new season.

thecampster

I'm impressed with  coach Pierce too. I'm most looking forward to watching this young team grow.  I haven't been this excited for Hawks in well...ever.  Now if Trae would have looked like dookie, I may not be this excited. His poise out there is so uncommon for a 20 year old!  I also want to see how Collins, Prince, Len, Bembry, Heurter, Dorsey, etc.  settle into their rolls.  I WANT to see Baze play within himself.   This team may surprise us and win a few more games than expected when their 3 ball is falling.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Me, I'm excited to see us become renown for having arguably the best young F duo in the league in Prince and Collins.

I'm also excited to see if Schlenk can trade Baze in the next few days, and gain another 1st.

Following up on the thoughts about our new coach...

Pierce presents himself very well, much more like a seasoned, mature head coach than the typical newbie. I'm cautiously optimistic, but it will take a lot to persuade me he'll be here more than 3 years or that we'll ever see him coach the team in a playoff game.

CLP has been a very pleasant surprise so far. But what I’m most looking forward to is seeing Ice Très, Fresh Printz, J-Bap, and Alexi on the floor at the same time for long stretches. Young is generational, Prince is playing like an All-Star, we know what Collins can do, and Len can SHOOT y’all. At 7’1. This gonna be fun to watch develop.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Am I the only one not surprised that Pierce's offense looks better than Bud's offense?

Nope

• Premium Member

I'm beginning to think that the posters that are predicting fewer than 24 wins reflects their feeling regarding Bud and Pierce. Of course the Bud disciples can't fathom the notion that Pierce could come in and win more games than their hall of fame coach in his 1st year.   Well, get ready to be disappointed because Pierce is for real!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm beginning to think that the posters that are predicting fewer than 24 wins reflects their feeling regarding Bud and Pierce. Of course the Bud disciples can't fathom the notion that Pierce could come in and win more games than their hall of fame coach in his 1st year.   Well, get ready to be disappointed because Pierce is for real!

I think he may also be instrumental in finally getting a star FA to sign here in the next few years, unlike in years past. Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis, Grik Frik level players.

• Premium Member

'Tis the season for grandiose optimism, no doubt. We'll have plenty of time and threads to discuss the head coach, so as one who predicted 23 wins, I'll resist the notion of further comment in this one other than to say, I really argued with myself, but ended up going with the number at the top of the range (low was 18).

Wait til the season starts before you start slating Bud. This roster might be better than last year's if Trae hits the ground running. We had career G-leaguers playing rotation minutes for us.

Bud may or may not have been overrated, but winning last year was not our primary objective, just like isn't this year. We'll be better off in the future the better our pick is this upcoming draft.

Honestly, I'm most excited about next offseason. I like the players we've added to the team, from our draft picks to the free agent signings. The only two objections I have are not signing Len to a longer deal and trading the #34 pick for nothing (should've drafted Mitchell Robinson, Melvin Frazier or my draft favorite Isaac Bonga).

I hated the draft at first, but Trae already is showing me more than I thought he would, namely cutting out the turnovers. Huerter I think will be fine in time, and I think we got a steal with Spellman. Coach Pierce so far has us playing really good basketball so far, and I'm excited to see how we progress as the season unfolds.

That being said, while we have a core that projects to do well in the future, a great draft in 2019 would put us in a great position moving forward. Having 3 firsts gives us ammo to move up if necessary, but I'd like two more pieces to the foundation. As far as I'm concerned, we won't need the draft past this year, so I'd be willing to mortgage our future to pick as high as possible in 2019.

Along with the draft, the Hawks are now in the position to possibly be players in free agency. I'm of the opinion that we no longer should be taking on bad contracts for picks. We'll soon have to pay guys coming off rookie deals, we need to add real talent. Picks in the 20-30 range aren't useless, but if our aim is to be competitive in 2020 and beyond, we'd be better served using the cap space for free agents or attempting to make a trade. Boston showed how you can pair lotto talent with free agent signings and trades to create a contender. We're on our way to doing the same.

I am impressed and therefore excited about everything Atlanta Hawk related.

Emory clinic and practice facility.  Having Chelsea Lane to head this, as far as health and wellness is concerned.  I'm excited about all the moves our GM has made.  He has changed the face of our team.  So many new players to be excited about.

I'm excited about our rookie head coach and his assistants.  They bring a different slant on this Hawk team.  I'm excited because this Hawk team can score from many different players and different positions on the floor.  And, they appear to be set to hit most of their free throws!  Yea!!

To me, all these players seem to be team oriented.  All for one and one for all.  Who would you say was a "me first" player?  None, I hope.   Finally, I'm excited that, as far in the future as I can see, this Hawk team will exceed the 18 victories that KB21 believes.  I still believe and hope in half our games will be wins.  That's 41 !!

:biggrin:

• Like 2

I look forward to the competition. I think this team is going to compete well and be in a lot of games others think we have no business being in. We may not win 40 games but I bet we are in at least 40 in the 4th quarter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Honestly, I'm most excited about next offseason. I like the players we've added to the team, from our draft picks to the free agent signings. The only two objections I have are not signing Len to a longer deal and trading the #34 pick for nothing (should've drafted Mitchell Robinson, Melvin Frazier or my draft favorite Isaac Bonga).

I hated the draft at first, but Trae already is showing me more than I thought he would, namely cutting out the turnovers. Huerter I think will be fine in time, and I think we got a steal with Spellman. Coach Pierce so far has us playing really good basketball so far, and I'm excited to see how we progress as the season unfolds.

That being said, while we have a core that projects to do well in the future, a great draft in 2019 would put us in a great position moving forward. Having 3 firsts gives us ammo to move up if necessary, but I'd like two more pieces to the foundation. As far as I'm concerned, we won't need the draft past this year, so I'd be willing to mortgage our future to pick as high as possible in 2019.

Along with the draft, the Hawks are now in the position to possibly be players in free agency. I'm of the opinion that we no longer should be taking on bad contracts for picks. We'll soon have to pay guys coming off rookie deals, we need to add real talent. Picks in the 20-30 range aren't useless, but if our aim is to be competitive in 2020 and beyond, we'd be better served using the cap space for free agents or attempting to make a trade. Boston showed how you can pair lotto talent with free agent signings and trades to create a contender. We're on our way to doing the same.

I would go as far to add that maybe we can give Prince an extension mid season if he is showing what he ended last season and started this season with.

Get some of the extensions out the way adding Len and Dedmon to this list if they are balling. Use the money we have now to extend our core players and use Baze future savings for Collins. Approach the extensions proactively, mid season off course.

I would go as far to add that maybe we can give Prince an extension mid season if he is showing what he ended last season and started this season with.

Get some of the extensions out the way adding Len and Dedmon to this list if they are balling. Use the money we have now to extend our core players and use Baze future savings for Collins. Approach the extensions proactively, mid season off course.

Is there any benefit cap-wise to extending Prince? It makes sense to extend the other two considering they could bolt in free agency, but I think we can hold off on Prince until next year at least. I doubt he'll take a discount when he's continuing to increase his value.