• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Inside the Hawks’ locker room transformation: ‘Guys actually like each other on this team’

marco102

18 minutes ago, marco102 said:

From the Athletic. I'll post some quotes.

https://theathletic.com/638824/2018/11/08/inside-the-hawks-locker-room-transformation-guys-actually-like-each-other-on-this-team/ 

The past two seasons, there was a lot of stuff going on in the locker room, I would say,” DeAndre’ Bembry said.

None of the players The Athletic spoke to wanted to go on record about the specific problems inside the locker room, but multiple people close to the team pointed toward Dennis Schröder’s immaturity as being a glaring issue. And, as it turns out, having Dwight Howard and Schröder in the same locker room two seasons ago didn’t turn out well.

John Collins said the camaraderie on last season’s team was “a roadblock.” He attributes it to players just being in different spots in their career. Schröder made it clear he wanted out of Atlanta, Marco Belinelli and Ersan Ilyasova were the elder statesmen on the team and hadn’t had overwhelming success in their careers for the young players to gravitate to. So there wasn’t one player in the locker room for the young players could turn to.

I feel like I definitely have a nice beat of what’s been going on with the team, and I would say, at least compared to last year, we are a very, very tight-knit group,” Collins said. “Guys actually like each other on this team and want to be around one another, and I think that bleeds onto the court.”

“From a big-man’s perspective, it’s always nice to have a PG that knows how to pass the ball and is willing to pass the ball like he is,” Collins said of Young. “Not only does it help me, but when I start touching the ball, teams will start eyeing me as a focal point. Other guys will be able to run the floor and find corners. It just helps the team chemistry and team morale because guys will play hard. Guys want to play for a point guard who wants to get them involved in the game. I think it just creates a great chemistry.”

I'm glad the Hawks are trying to foster a culture these young players can grow and develop.

We are going to be pretty good after this season I believe.

That article says A LOT!!

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

True, but fostering a good culture and development is also important too.   For example, what's going on in Cleveland is terrible.

Prime example. The problem with winning games above all is we can end up winning too many games like last year and we can take ourselves out of great drafting range as well. I like being able to draft Zion or someone elite to join Trae. 

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Prime example. The problem with winning games above all is we can end up winning too many games like last year and we can take ourselves out of great drafting range as well. I like being able to draft Zion or someone elite to join Trae. 

Yeah,  Reddish right now is my first choice, just because I feel like he has the most latent potential as a shooter, playmaker, and on the defensive side.   If the Hawks could somehow get Zion and Reddish, I'd lose it. 

Bol Bol is looking good too.   The more realistic draft will probably be one of the big three and Bol Bol.  I trust Travis on talent evaluation though.  His picks have looked pretty good so far. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 10/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, marco102 said:

True, but fostering a good culture and development is also important too.   For example, what's going on in Cleveland is terrible.

For sure, but it's apples to oranges. Cleveland was a team that revolved 100% around Lebron and he personally had a hand in bringing in vets that could be cobbled together to get him to the finals. Him leaving rips out the entire foundation from the team and leaves these vets that were brought over to compete for championships stranded in no mans land. Our roster is one of the youngest in the league and the young guys are still thrilled just to be playing in the pros at this stage. Mix in guys like Bazemore and Vince Carter who are happy because they can probably get more PT with us than almost any other team in the league right now.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, NBASupes said:

This is the culture I am happy to hear about. Bud never gave a shit about culture. It was all about winning games for Bud

So, you are  happy with a losing culture?

Bud is one of the best culture builders in the NBA.  Look at how he has already changed the culture in Milwaukee.  

Let's see how much these players like each other when they are staring 5-23 in the face in a few weeks.

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bud is one of the best culture builders in the NBA.  Look at how he has already changed the culture in Milwaukee.  

Let's see how much these players like each other when they are staring 5-23 in the face in a few weeks.

Last game was the start of players tuning Pierce out I believe.  I can’t patronize a >20 win squad with 2 negative win share starters man.  What I wouldn’t give to watch the 26 win Joe and Woody team again. This that silly Lon Kruger sh@t I never tuned in to.

But on a Real Basketball note, I been on that Bucks walk to the Finals sh@t.  Bud roster too stacked up and they love him already.  I was leery on how Bledsoe would respond to hard coaching but he’s all in.  That team would smash his Hawks 60 win squad in 5 games.

32 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah that culture was great when horford walked out the door.  And don’t start that nonsense about Howard being brought in as the reason for him leavin.

Just now, KB21 said:

You can thank Tony Ressler for that.

Can I really though seems there are two narratives coming from that. Somebody wanted a superstar and somebody was offended. Mixed in with middling signings and and aging core and poof you have a full rebuild on hand. I lean toward blaming bud though decent coach but way in over his head exec. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 0:49 PM, KB21 said:

Bud is the placebo effect. This is the Bucks 1st time getting a systems guy and he has the right pieces in place to make it work. 

Wow I actually agree with KB21 that our record will be 5-23 possibly 5-24 in the next few weeks. Remember though it's a long season we are still on pace to win atleast the 39 games I've predicted. You can't even really judge an nba season till atleast 30 games in. Even than you could go 30 - 0 and end it 30 - 52. The unpredictability of a long schedule gives teams/fans things to hope and root for. I'm glad we're actually going thru our growing pains early and what doesn't break us makes us stronger.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

It sounds like this wasn't a Dwight issue. It was a Dennis issue. I'm not going to hate on Dennis but I'm glad he's someone else's problem.

Where do you get that?  There have been numerous reports of him being a problem in the locker room and  we accepted negative value just to get rid of him.  

That doesn't mean it isn't also a Dennis issue, but it pretty clearly was a Dwight issue too.  You don't have to pick just one.