Coach Pierce Interview

marco102

I love Huerter but got to admit LP has a lot higher goals for him than I thought feasible. We saw he can handle the ball some last season which was a pretty big step in his first season but this interview has me a great deal more excited as to what we will see from Huerter moving forward. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, kg01 said:

"Sitcho a** down 'n shut up, Budenholzer."

Prompts the more serious thought...

Except for throwin around f-bombs like he's trying to impress people with how adult he can sound... a common pathetic silliness of the current culture... he comes off more as a really good, down to earth, philosophy professor than anything else when he speaks. He's an impressive guy. The industry doesn't end up treating all impressive guys equal, though, of course. Would love for him to end up being among the very few who NBA history will count as having taken a team from infancy to complete maturity.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I love Huerter but got to admit LP has a lot higher goals for him than I thought feasible. We saw he can handle the ball some last season which was a pretty big step in his first season but this interview has me a great deal more excited as to what we will see from Huerter moving forward. 

Chewin on that over the last 12 hours or so, I'm wondering if maybe he's made a point to pump up Huerter given that the one guy who most likely perceives his playing time has diminished even before training camp is Huerter.

That said and even so, I don't think he's wrong to say what he said about his future.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, hazer said:

3) He mentions Reddish can just plain shoot and brings up the Trae/Huerter/Cam/Hunter/Collins lineup specifically.

Kinda thought Pierce said that we were too small last year and the line above was mentioned by the interviewer.  Pierce's response was..."it is nice to have options" rather than an endorsement of the line up

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kinda thought Pierce said that we were too small last year and the line above was mentioned by the interviewer.  Pierce's response was..."it is nice to have options" rather than an endorsement of the line up

If you listen around the 5:00 mark, LP specifically says in a response to how versatile the team is "more importantly those two guys can guard 1 through 4. If you want to play John at the 5, Cam at the 3, Deandre at the 4, however you want to play it, we can do it." 

I think LP has made enough other comments to support the idea that John is going to get the bulk of his time - especially early on - at the 4, but I wouldn't rule out playing the 5 and going with a small lineup like he mentions in the clip. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

"If you listen around the 5:00 mark, LP specifically says in a response to how versatile the team is "more importantly those two guys can guard 1 through 4. If you want to play John at the 5, Cam at the 3, Deandre at the 4, however you want to play it, we can do it." 

I think LP has made enough other comments to support the idea that John is going to get the bulk of his time - especially early on - at the 4, but I wouldn't rule out playing the 5 and going with a small lineup like he mentions in the clip." ~ @REHawksFan

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

"If you listen around the 5:00 mark, LP specifically says in a response to how versatile the team is "more importantly those two guys can guard 1 through 4. If you want to play John at the 5, Cam at the 3, Deandre at the 4, however you want to play it, we can do it." 

I think LP has made enough other comments to support the idea that John is going to get the bulk of his time - especially early on - at the 4, but I wouldn't rule out playing the 5 and going with a small lineup like he mentions in the clip." ~ @REHawksFan

Personally I just don't see any advantages of doing this.

51 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Lol, why would Philly trade their best player. I 100% agree with the rest. 

Lol:

"Why would NOP trade their he's player ....

Why would OKC trade their best player....

Why would BOS trade their best player ...

Why would CHA trade their best player ....

You need me to go on?" ~ @kg01 (Kagey-Wan)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

I have always been from the school of putting ur best 5 out there even if they are smaller. Nellie school of thinking and it makes sense. All those years when we kept putting Jon Koncak out there killed me. I remember I would have my own damn starting lineup and put Carr or Levingston or Battle in as my 5th starter and go small. I understand small ball wasn’t a thing then but it certainly is now so let’s roll with it. 

Collins is skinny frame but make no mistake it’s a strong 💪🏾 skinny frame but he can play the 5 no doubt in my mind and hold his own.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Personally I just don't see any advantages of doing this.

I predict you will 😉

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

They have mentioned he's the most "skilled" player on the team.

Yeah, remember that comment and was pretty surprised by it especially when thinking about Trae and then JC.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Collins is skinny frame but make no mistake it’s a strong 💪🏾 skinny frame but he can play the 5 no doubt in my mind and hold his own.

Skrawng, even...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Would be interesting to see Collins spend an off season or more in the weight room with Willis. Maybe he could get a free leather coat out of it. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Would be interesting to see Collins spend an off season or more in the weight room with Willis. Maybe he could get a free leather coat out of it. 

Get The Godfather Lee Haney in there too! #80slove 😊 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Lol, why would Philly trade their best player. I 100% agree with the rest. 

To elaborate: in 2 years Hawks have ascended to where 76ers now sit (contenders in the East). At the same time, those 76ers have stalled in place and haven't broken through. Hawks ascending, 76ers stalling. 2 years left on his contract, Embiid requests a trade. On his mind? The hottest team in the East, piloted by this bada$$ lil All Star PG, and coached by his familial El-P, knocking on the ECF door. Embiid can be the catalyst, that Star, to elevate the Hawks to the Finals. That's why 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Another Awesome Read!

Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce sees the big picture with Trae Young, John Collins and the rest of Atlanta's young core

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-coach-lloyd-pierce-sees-the-big-picture-with-trae-young-john-collins-and-the-rest-of-atlantas-young-core/

Thanks for posting, just started to add a topic on this. Amazing read!!!! Love that he has the long view and is not caught up in any of the hype!

Edited by enrique
  • Like 2