• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Evan Turner: "First-Team All...-DRAYMOND?"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

538's at it again, with Not! Another! Defensive! Metric!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-better-way-to-evaluate-nba-defense/

But it does shine a pleasant light on at least one of the newest members of the Hawks roster.

The best DRAYMOND defenders of 2018-19

NBA players by DRAYMOND* defensive ratings, based on opponents’ shooting data in the regular season and playoffs, with a minimum of 2,000 possessions played in 2018-19

PLAYER POSSESSIONS PLAYED DRAYMOND RATING
Derrick Favors 4,036 +3.74
Mitchell Robinson 2,882 +3.32
Derrick Jones Jr. 2,389 +3.10
Jusuf Nurkic 4,212 +3.03
Maxi Kleber 3,168 +2.94
Hassan Whiteside 3,490 +2.89
Rudy Gobert 5,786 +2.82
Kevon Looney 4,145 +2.72
Serge Ibaka 5,258 +2.63
Richaun Holmes 2,558 +2.54
Brook Lopez 6,040 +2.53
Myles Turner 4,656 +2.43
Ivica Zubac 2,365 +2.43
Joel Embiid 5,419 +2.40
Robin Lopez 3,387 +2.35
Torrey Craig 3,798 +2.33
Jonas Valanciunas 2,345 +2.25
Evan Turner 3,896 +2.23
Bruce Brown 3,135 +2.21

Backcourt guys generally get a negative number based on the way the statistic is set up, so E.T.'s and Nuggets swingman Torrey Craig's result stands out. Details on the sausage-making process in the link above.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Details on the sausage-making process in the link above.

Hey hey hey man. That’s not of our concern. 😐 🌭 😝 

Oh you meant basketball.. 

Maxi Kleber could be a Hawk. I think he’s still out there and not returning to Mavs it seems. He’s a hustler who plays hard to make up for lack of natural basketball talent. Depending on the price, not too shabby imo.

4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Maxi Kleber could be a Hawk. I think he’s still out there and not returning to Mavs it seems. He’s a hustler who plays hard to make up for lack of natural basketball talent. Depending on the price, not too shabby imo.

I think the Mavs signed him, but I wish we had traded for Favors, Pels got him for 2 2nds.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

****** IMAGINE A MARC STEIN TWEET HERE THAT SAYS MAVS SIGNED KLEBER TO A 4-YR, 35M DEAL ******

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

538's at it again, with Not! Another! Defensive! Metric!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-better-way-to-evaluate-nba-defense/

But it does shine a pleasant light on at least one of the newest members of the Hawks roster.

The best DRAYMOND defenders of 2018-19

NBA players by DRAYMOND* defensive ratings, based on opponents’ shooting data in the regular season and playoffs, with a minimum of 2,000 possessions played in 2018-19

PLAYER POSSESSIONS PLAYED DRAYMOND RATING
Derrick Favors 4,036 +3.74
Mitchell Robinson 2,882 +3.32
Derrick Jones Jr. 2,389 +3.10
Jusuf Nurkic 4,212 +3.03
Maxi Kleber 3,168 +2.94
Hassan Whiteside 3,490 +2.89
Rudy Gobert 5,786 +2.82
Kevon Looney 4,145 +2.72
Serge Ibaka 5,258 +2.63
Richaun Holmes 2,558 +2.54
Brook Lopez 6,040 +2.53
Myles Turner 4,656 +2.43
Ivica Zubac 2,365 +2.43
Joel Embiid 5,419 +2.40
Robin Lopez 3,387 +2.35
Torrey Craig 3,798 +2.33
Jonas Valanciunas 2,345 +2.25
Evan Turner 3,896 +2.23
Bruce Brown 3,135 +2.21

Backcourt guys generally get a negative number based on the way the statistic is set up, so E.T.'s and Nuggets swingman Torrey Craig's result stands out. Details on the sausage-making process in the link above.

~lw3

Maybe defense isn't so important after all (i kid), but Embiid is the only true all star on the list.

An encouraging metric but I assume Evan found himself guarding scrubs more than not.  A 1.5 and two 1.3 seasons of DBPM shows he can hold it down coming off the pine.  

The defesnive efficiency argument and finding ways to measure it is always an interesting discussion to me.  Defensive rebounding skews some guys numbers a great deal (Johnny, Westbrook). My favorite measures of team defense are 24 second violations: the 60 win squad forced one every quarter it seemed behind Dennis pressing, Thabo sliding, and Al anchoring.  We might’ve had 7 or 8 all season last year lol.  For individuals denying the pass reception altogether or forcing a pass out of isolation into a lower percentage situation.  Ball deniers f@&k your whole offense up, especially if your team stands around.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

An encouraging metric but I assume Evan found himself guarding scrubs more than not.  A 1.5 and two 1.3 seasons of DBPM shows he can hold it down coming off the pine.  

The defesnive efficiency argument and finding ways to measure it is always an interesting discussion to me.  Defensive rebounding skews some guys numbers a great deal (Johnny, Westbrook). My favorite measures of team defense are 24 second violations: the 60 win squad forced one every quarter it seemed behind Dennis pressing, Thabo sliding, and Al anchoring.  We might’ve had 7 or 8 all season last year lol.  For individuals denying the pass reception altogether or forcing a pass out of isolation into a lower percentage situation.  Ball deniers f@&k your whole offense up, especially if your team stands around.

Despite being on the scrubs wagon, I find ur posts very informative so I try to block out an image of you wearing “the city” “the town” or “strength in Durant” shirts and try to picture you in a Dikembe jersey or something. 😊 

Good lookin out Benny. I’m over it. Let’s just hug 🤗 and love the Clippers in the west for a bit. 😃 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Despite being on the scrubs wagon, I find ur posts very informative so I try to block out an image of you wearing “the city” “the town” or “strength in Durant” shirts and try to picture you in a Dikembe jersey or something. 😊 

Good lookin out Benny. I’m over it. Let’s just hug 🤗 and love the Clippers in the west for a bit. 😃 

Benny tried to imagine you with a non-Luka avatar so he understands.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Benny tried to imagine you with a non-Luka avatar so he understands.

Game rec game. I see AHF...good point. Self loathing avatar owner here.. only 3.3 months left. 😔 

I just assume let the burners post at this point and I’ll just like it lol. I can’t stand my own face. Face..off..

So the best players last year on defense that are on the roster today according to these stats are:

Turner, Crabbe, Collins and Len, only players with positive rating.

Surprised that there were no much difference between Len and Dedmon and also surprised that Collins was better than both.

Bembry was negative, skightly better than Bazemore that was slightly better than Prince that was slightly better than Young that was better than Lin. Worst of all was Huerter, I have to admit this was a surprise. Jabari Parker was better than all of them...

Taking into account this stats, players that were overrated were Bembry, Bazemore, Dedmon, Lin and Huerter. Clearly underated players Crabbe, Collins and Len.

Best lineup to cover Young assuming Hunter is a good defender

Young, Crabbe, Hunter, Collins, Len.

Best defensive lineup 

Turner, Crabbe, Hunter, Collins, Len or Damian Jones.

Edited by gurpilo