• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How serious of a playoff threat are we this season?

Wurider05

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Stupid question. I tried figuring this out and since you carry the "sage" moniker around these parts, maybe you can help me out. How do get a user "tagged" in a reply or post? I tried reading and do this a while back and failed miserably😳

Thanks ahead of time...

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Steph was an older rookie so are we comparing apples to apples?

The comparison is coming out of a question of how fast Trae can make an impact like Steph did so I think that is fair because the question is short term focused on how fast he can push the Hawks into the playoffs.  

Frankly, it is unlikely Trae is ever as good a shooter as Steph since Steph might be the best shooter in NBA history.  I’d love it if he did because while I say “unlikely” for Trae matching Curry’s shooting, I can say with 100% certainty that Steph will never be the passer that Trae is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, enrique said:

Gotta love the love for the Hawks...

Here is the New Arena rankings for NBA at this point...

https://newarena.com/nba/ranking-all-30-nba-teams-after-crazy-free-agent-offseason/8/?amxt=tbdt_15rf_96

I guess at this point I'd rather be overlooked and disregarded. 

So they are saying we are the 8th worst team in the league? 😐 ohhhh okaaayyy. Let’s just play the games 😂 I can’t wait..

• Like 2

As we look at or current roster and starting five that we now think, thinking of the top 10, position by position, are there 9 players better than ours?  8th worst?  Naw.

And, basketball is a team.  We really believe that our men are truly a team.  Perhaps some NBA units aren't really a team that supports each other.

:air_kiss:

• Like 2

Looking at our Hawks, position by position.  Is there more than 10 you would trade for ours?

Center - Alex Len, Damian Jones & Bruno Fernando

PF - John Collins, Jaban Parker & Candler Parsons

SF - De`Andre Hunter, DeAndre` Bremby & Cam Reddish

SG - Kevin Huerter, Alan Crabbe & Cam Reddish

PG - Trae Young, Evan Turner & Brandon Goodson

This is the 8th worst team in the NBA?  If so, almost all of our five starters must be kinda bad, wouldn't you think? 

Expectations for our three rookies?  Our #4 pick, Hunter will be good enough to start and will give us a solid, but not great player.

Our #10 pick, Reddish will be our yo yo player his first season.  Up and down,  Up and down.  Sometimes great and sometimes not.

Our #36 pick, Fernando will surprise and many, many NBA fans and teams will be wondering why they didn't pick him when they had the opportunity. 

All three have the opportunity to make the NBA rookie team this season, whether it be 1st team or second. 

They may not be as good as this old man believes but, Really, really bad?  Not a chance!

:locomotive:

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you are asking about for the 2019-20 season alone, are there more than 10 rotations at a given position that I would trade ours for?

Center:  Definitely.

PF:  No.

SF:  Yes.

SG:  Yes.

PG:  I'd have to think long and hard on this one between Trae's defensive limitations and my lack of faith in Turner and Goodson.  But I'm so excited about Trae that I would probably say "no."

For the long-term, the answer changes on some of these.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Looking at our Hawks, position by position.  Is there more than 10 you would trade for ours?

This is the 8th worst team in the NBA?  If so, almost all of our five starters must be kinda bad, wouldn't you think? 

Expectations for our three rookies?  Our #4 pick, Hunter will be good enough to start and will give us a solid, but not great player.

Our #10 pick, Reddish will be our yo yo player his first season.  Up and down,  Up and down.  Sometimes great and sometimes not.

Our #36 pick, Fernando will surprise and many, many NBA fans and teams will be wondering why they didn't pick him when they had the opportunity. 

All three have the opportunity to make the NBA rookie team this season, whether it be 1st team or second. 

They may not be as good as this old man believes but, Really, really bad?  Not a chance!

Why do you think Bruno will surprise folks?  I hope he does but he dropped for a reason.  I think he was a reach.  

Don't know how many folks will actually be surprised but do believe Bruno translates to Draymond much better than Spellman translates to Draymond. Bruno is not only a true hustler on both ends but is strong as hell. Shooting range will indeed take some time but think he will help at C sometime this season. Being in shape is a will power thing and the contrast between the two is huge. Not really discounting Jones either and a lot does depend on him so we will see....hoping both our guys excel in their roles behind Len but think Bruno will be here for a long run. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

Why do you think Bruno will surprise folks?  I hope he does but he dropped for a reason.  I think he was a reach.  

No reason I could put my finger on.  I simply believe.

:blind:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Still think we can squeak into the playoffs with a good run the last thirty or so games. Pretty big chemistry experiment starting out but then again our point is Trae so agree we will surprise and probably in more ways than one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Still think we can squeak into the playoffs with a good run the last thirty or so games. Pretty big chemistry experiment starting out but then again our point is Trae so agree we will surprise and probably in more ways than one.

We do have a brutal early run, however. IF we do not do very well and get into the perpetual L mode (ala last November) it will truly reveal our character and mettle. That is where our vets (especially Vinsanity) will need to steer the ship and keep us focused and encouraged. IF we actually hit above .425-ish coming out of that early gauntlet, I think we will make the playoffs and will be a surprise team for sure!!!

Bank it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, enrique said:

We do have a brutal early run, however. IF we do not do very well and get into the perpetual L mode (ala last November) it will truly reveal our character and mettle. That is where our vets (especially Vinsanity) will need to steer the ship and keep us focused and encouraged. IF we actually hit above .425-ish coming out of that early gauntlet, I think we will make the playoffs and will be a surprise team for sure!!!

Bank it!

I agree. Lotta people are gonna owe us an engraved apology if I may quote Apollo.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Long Read, but interesting....

That is definitely a fun read. I enjoyed some of the positivity of the article combined with some nice stats. Thanks for finding it and posting. Makes the doldrums between Summer League and Preseason more bearable:)

Thought the quote: The Hawks have almost too much depth. was an interesting take on the Hawks. On the Wings that is definitely true. But across the other spots we will see. 

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, enrique said:

That is definitely a fun read. I enjoyed some of the positivity of the article combined with some nice stats. Thanks for finding it and posting. Makes the doldrums between Summer League and Preseason more bearable:)

Thought the quote: The Hawks have almost too much depth. was an interesting take on the Hawks. On the Wings that is definitely true. But across the other spots we will see. 

I agree that SG, SF, PF have some depth since we have some dual role guys for those spots.

PG and C - TBD.

• Like 1