• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How serious of a playoff threat are we this season?

Wurider05

On 8/7/2019 at 8:16 PM, thecampster said:

So take a look at key losses vs key acquisitions. (end of year only).

Jaylen Adams -> Evan Turner (say what you want about Turner...he's a major upgrade over Adams).

Taurean Prince -> Allen Crabbe (wash)

Omari Spellman -> Damion Jones (IMHO wash but an argument can be made both ways)

Justin Anderson -> Deandre Hunter (Uhm...dunno but considering Anderson barely played...anything we get is a win)

Kent Bazemore -> Cam Reddish (Hardest grade here....Reddish could be amazing...I think he takes a few years but yah...could be a win and Baze was bad 2nd half last year)

Miles Plumlee -> Bruno Fernando (Same as above)

Dwayne Dedmon -> Chandler Parsons (Probably a loss unless Parsons returns to form

Random D Leaguer who played PF -> Jabari Parker (Mongo huge win)

2018 Young, Huerter, Collins vs 2019 versions -> should be minor upgrade.

Basically we are really going to miss Dedmon but other than that its all upgrades or same. IMHO we mildly overachieved last year. Average this year would be 37ish wins but could top out as high 45 if everything went perfect...low as 30 if bad things happen. I'll be optimistic and say 41 wins and make the playoffs as the 7th seed.

maybe compare dwayne to jabari and kent to cam/hunter should be a downgrade year 1.  have to factor in the dramatic improvement we saw in some players by the second half of last year as well.

Def Dedmon is the biggest loss.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Just saw on fb but can’t seem to find it again. It was from clutch. Spencer Dinwiddie’s surprise playoff team prediction: The Hawks!

Spencer is a bit of a crazy ass but do like his prediction. He would be a great backup to Trae. Could spend the rest of his career at the foul line if he wanted to.

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Spencer is a bit of a crazy ass but do like his prediction. He would be a great backup to Trae. Could spend the rest of his career at the foul line if he wanted to.

Just went back to see how we faired against those Nets last season. 0-3 but Collins had a couple of monster games and Trae had a good one too I believe.

Spence hit around 15/16 points off the bench against us.

Just thought he might have said that because Trae torched him but not the case.

• Moderators

Every team that took out Steph added a much better PG and did much better.  He never won anything until he played against Chinese competition.

Bear in mind that the examples you just gave involve veteran PGs.  Nash's 2004 Suns were his age 30 season.  Kidd's Nets were his age 28 season.

When Nash and Kidd were Young's age, they were either a rookie with a losing team or still in college.

I don't understand the comparison made on the thread

I think comparison should be for players playing same position.

In my opinion

Lin > Turner

Baze < Crabbe

Prince = Hunter, hopefully

Justin Anderson < Reddish

Spellman < Parker

Dedmon >> Jones

Plumlee < Fernando

On players with significant minutes, Lin,  Baze, Prince and Dedmon I think we lose a bit with Turner, Crabbe, Hunter and Jones although I think some of Dedmon's minutes will go to Parker and Collins at C. 

The clear win on the team is contributions from Reddish and Parker, would it be enough to overcome what we lose on Dedmon, Prince and Lin? Difficult to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

That is exactly my point, long term there is no doubt we made a huge progress but this season players are going to be really young. If this team is able to make playoffs with a core of 2 sophomores, 2 rookies, a 22 year PF and a bunch of 25-27th year old role players... Atl would be on conference finals for a decade, I doubt we are so good. It expect Huerter, Hunter and Reddish to struggle a bit till January, Huerter will pick where he left last year but will not meet improvement expectations since first month. It would be absolutely stunning they produce since fist game, hopefully they can but I would not be disapointed if they are not, is the standard for young players. I think we are sometimes mixing the medium-long term expectations with the reality next month. I am very optimistic for this team in 2 years, if we keep the team together we could be one of the top teams on the east but we are not there yet. 

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 2

Not sure about counting or comparing Crabbe until we at least hear something positive from him or his camp. With no news at all am thinking he truly would rather be somewhere with less youthful rotation bodies. Having a player here in the ten man rotation that isn't happy with his jersey does not sound too helpful for our youngsters..

• Moderators
On 8/24/2019 at 8:09 AM, benhillboy said:

I was on a high after the great draft but they are just rookies.  I’ve tempered my expectations, gotta see some considerable improvement defensively from our 2 AS-hopefuls.  Being a cynic I would also never assume perfect health, gotta account for at least 15 games missing one of the aforementioned.  Get back to me in December.  

There’s been so much player movement I won’t fully know what to make of the East until then.  I think a big advantage though will be contending teams’ “load management” getting hit in the mouth by our young and exuberant full-strength squad.

I agree with this.  The future is bright, but we are still 2-3 seasons from making noise; a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs would be a return to the treadmill and would stagnate our growth.  Don't get me wrong, I want to see this young team win some games and a few wins against a few top teams would put the league on notice. We still need a sixth man, a backup PG, a backup PF, and until our rooks prove themselves, their contributions are up in the air too.  This team is still just Trae and JC.

• Sad 1