• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

48 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like Bembry to me!😜

There is a lot of things Bembry can't do. Bembry is our worst rated offensive player by a mile on a team loaded with horrendous offensive production while Harrell is a positive on that end and would rate 2nd on our team on that end of the floor ahead of Collins and Teague. 

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I thought we just covered this with Jay earlier today?

I did not cover anything about that; so don't include me in your "we", If you would stay away from the name calling and labeling just because people do not agree with you, I would enjoy reading your post a whole lot more.

14 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The beauty of being in our position is we can cherry pick and the players who want security will be looking at us. If we choose we can easily go 16M for one player and 12 - 14M for one more. That will still leave us a ton of wiggle room for a point guard in this weak class of point guards.

I think 16M easily steals Bertans. The article I posted earlier said the Wizards will have a hard time justifying 15M for him. Grant at 10-12M or Crowder short term at 10-12M should be enough.

I think the Cavs and Hornets will sign Andre Drummond and Montrezl Harrell. The Knicks are a wild card. I don't know if they are dreaming about 2021/22 free agency or if they have finally accepted reality that great players do not view them with high regard. I think Miami is looking at 2020/21 and they will be very careful with what they shell out for Crowder or any free agent.

A shooter, a versatile defender, a point guard or go home Schlenk.

I don’t hate this but I’d rather have Trez, Jerami Grant, and then some 1 year fillers for the rest like Glen Robinson III or maybe even a Langston Galloway type...I’m cooling off on crowder a bit as it’s looking like to me that’s he’s starting as more of a PF than a SF as he comes to the end of his career.

It may be worthwhile to throw a prove it contract to Andre Roberson for 1 year very cheap contract. Just to see if there’s any good defense left in the tank.

Then there’s names like Otto Porter Jr who this board hasn’t spoke much about but I do think Schlenk will look at Otto shall he opts out of his final year.

Also I’m not ruling out our possible big free agency signing being Vanvleet then going with cheaper big man options like Frank Kaminsky.....there’s a lot of different routes schlenk could take at this! Just don’t spend recklessly which I’m damn near sure he won’t.

its going to be a long interesting summer

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, AHF said:

After the Rockets / China issue, the cap was already expected to drop from that lost revenue.  There are lots of ways the union and owners can address this but in all scenarios the cap will drop.  Keeping things “artificially high” is high relative to how they would otherwise drop and still will be lower year over year.

The reported revenue loss from the Morey tweet was $150-$200 mil. The projected salary cap dropped by $1 mil from $116 to $115.

• Premium Member

Personally, I make it a practice to never use personal insults, particularly of the name-calling variety, because as you may have read me to say before, I consider that to be what a person defaults to when s/he doesn't have any actual substance in support of his/her assertion to offer. So, I never want to be accurately accused of that.

Personally, I also make it a practice to analyze someone's comments thoroughly enough to understand when s/he might actually be leveling a personal attack at me versus when s/he is speaking about someone else (or "someone elses," if a group), and more typically, when s/he might actually be launching an attack on what I've said--using facts and/or logical lines of reasoning--versus an attack on me as a person, ie, my character, my intelligence and such.

And the reason I do that is that it doesn't seem fair to other individuals to just paint with a convenient-to-me broad brush as-if any time someone is opposing my ideas, my thinking, it is a personal attack.

That would be, in its essence, a personal attack on the other person, since it is effectively an attempt to stain that person as being immature and irrational. (So, in fact, it's a form of hypocrisy, when one bothers to peel that onion back and think.)

That's why it's pretty offensive on those occasions when someone doesn't do that analysis. In effect, s/he obliges his/her own hypersensitivity, and perhaps in a lot of cases, also his/her own frustration that s/he has been unsuccessful in actually using substance to defend his/her conclusion.

It's a too-easy out, and it's not right.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Personally, I make it a practice to never use personal insults, particularly of the name-calling variety, because as you may have read me to say before, I consider that to be what a person defaults to when s/he doesn't have any actual substance in support of his/her assertion to offer. So, I never want to be accurately accused of that.

Personally, I also make it a practice to analyze someone's comments thoroughly enough to understand when s/he might actually be leveling a personal attack at me versus when s/he is speaking about someone else (or "someone elses," if a group), and more typically, when s/he might actually be launching an attack on what I've said--using facts and/or logical lines of reasoning--versus an attack on me as a person, ie, my character, my intelligence and such.

And the reason I do that is that it doesn't seem fair to other individuals to just paint with a convenient-to-me broad brush as-if any time someone is opposing my ideas, my thinking, it is a personal attack.

That would be, in its essence, a personal attack on the other person, since it is effectively an attempt to stain that person as being immature and irrational. (So, in fact, it's a form of hypocrisy, when one bothers to peel that onion back and think.)

That's why it's pretty offensive on those occasions when someone doesn't do that analysis. In effect, s/he obliges his/her own hypersensitivity, and perhaps in a lot of cases, also his/her own frustration that s/he has been unsuccessful in actually using substance to defend his/her conclusion.

It's a too-easy out, and it's not right.

Oh yeah right. Maybe it was one of your other personalities huh, the wise guy, the little kid, the bell 🛎 hop, the ball player, maybe the door to door vacuum cleaner salesmen, but not you right? You just couldn’t help yourself could you Sturt? 🤔 

• Premium Member

@Spud2nique, if you're insinuating that what I said there is somehow a fraud, you're going to have to do better than referencing a link where I pointed out in the form of a word picture that sometimes it's not the sender who is the problem in getting a message across.

That falls well short of being an attack on you as a person. Similarly, I've characterized your posts recently as "drive-by soft serve." That's a criticism of what you've said and how you said it.

Not your character, not your intelligence, nothing inherent about you as a person.

Prove me wrong with real examples/facts, and I'll very rapidly apologize. I don't want to be that kind of poster/person. But do prove me wrong, and don't presume that just because I've responded to something you've said that that on its own is automatic "proof."

• Premium Member

Which of these 10 would you sign?

1. Christian Wood, Detroit

2. Michael Carter-Williams, Orlando 

3. Derrick Jones, Jr., Miami

4. Chris Boucher, Toronto

5. De’Anthony Melton, Memphis

6. Luguentz Dort, Oklahoma City 2-way

7. Josh Jackson, Memphis

8. Jakob Poeltl, San Antonio

9. Dario Saric, Phoenix

10. John Henson, Detroit

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

7. Josh Jackson, Memphis

9. Dario Saric, Phoenix

10. John Henson, Detroit

1. Christian Wood (not an overpay)

5. D. Melt

I saw Melt as USC, rugged throwback, plays hard.

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

7. Josh Jackson, Memphis

9. Dario Saric, Phoenix

10. John Henson, Detroit

I'd  go with Christian Wood.  He seems to cover everythig Harrell does and he can shoot which melds all the differing philosphies around here.  For @NBASupes, he has a WAR of 4.9!

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
On 5/8/2020 at 10:54 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

As we think about our loads of capspace this offseason and how we spend it, please note this is a real possibility for 2021, reduction in cap:

It will be interesting to see if we sign long term big money contracts or more short term high dollar contracts to save capspace for 2021 which may be a lot less than the projections were to start this season.

So with the anticipated big name 2021 FA bonanza that everyone is talking about, judicious spending this offseason is warranted.

I have noted previously however, that despite the big name 2021 class, how many of the big name FAs will actually look to the Hawks.  I know, we at least meed to have some capspace in reserve for this possibility.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:02 AM, NBASupes said:

The issue with 2021 is just about most teams have a slot now there are a lot of players whereas this year, it's just a few

As a follow up Supes, most teams were anticipating capspace slot in 2021 before CV-19. The projected Salary cap for 2021-22 was expected to be $125 million.

Screenshot_20200509-131026_Samsung Internet.jpg

Based on current reports, there is an expectation that the cap is likely to fall below the $115 for this year. Even if it falls 10% that sets it at $103 million.

For teams that thought they had space to teams that are now facing luxury tax implications, it'll be an interesting offseason whenever if happens.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Would you guys be intereted in Jrue Holiday?

I like the player a lot.

But he's in that category where he's just a tier below what we need in order to put us over the top, imo.

Still, he's better than a JAG, or any of what I'll call the "plus-JAGS" that most people in this thread tend to talk about.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

One guaranteed, but the second is a player option for $27m (... which is largely why some observers have said NOP's cap situation for those two seasons is some very good discouragement from doing "whatever it takes" to keep you know who.)

2020-05-09_1235.png

10 hours ago, JTB said:

I don’t hate this but I’d rather have Trez, Jerami Grant, and then some 1 year fillers for the rest like Glen Robinson III or maybe even a Langston Galloway type...I’m cooling off on crowder a bit as it’s looking like to me that’s he’s starting as more of a PF than a SF as he comes to the end of his career.

It may be worthwhile to throw a prove it contract to Andre Roberson for 1 year very cheap contract. Just to see if there’s any good defense left in the tank.

Then there’s names like Otto Porter Jr who this board hasn’t spoke much about but I do think Schlenk will look at Otto shall he opts out of his final year.

Also I’m not ruling out our possible big free agency signing being Vanvleet then going with cheaper big man options like Frank Kaminsky.....there’s a lot of different routes schlenk could take at this! Just don’t spend recklessly which I’m damn near sure he won’t.

its going to be a long interesting summer

I don't understand why people still want to pay Trez 15 - 20M after we traded for Capela, Dedmon, and Skal. Now throw in the fact that the odds are probably in the 70% range that we draft another big and it makes for even more of a reach.

This team needs to invest heavily in one bonafide shooter now and Trez is the anti shooter,

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

7. Josh Jackson, Memphis

9. Dario Saric, Phoenix

10. John Henson, Detroit

Melton and Saric are interesting. Wood and Derrick Jones too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I don't understand why people still want to pay Trez 15 - 20M after we traded for Capela, Dedmon, and Skal. Now throw in the fact that the odds are probably in the 70% range that we draft another big and it makes even more of a reach.

This team needs to invest heavily in one bonafide shooter now and Trez is the anti shooter,

I like the physicality that Trez plays with and power he displays around the goal. I agree we do need to get shooters but I don’t think (my opinion) that you can have enough quality big men on your team even in this era of small ball.

shooting is great!...until the playoffs come around and suddenly that player isn’t as impactful as the regular season. I firmly believe Trez is a guy that you want off your bench that you know will show up both regular season and playoffs. You want someone who can play muscle ball in when going gets tough and jump shots aren’t going down.

i know you see the same player as the two bigs we have but there is a difference at least with Collins ..JC is great at rolling to the goal & finishing just like Trez and capela but he’s not a powerful rise above his opponents type and he doesn’t have to be because for JC he can clearly shoot it.

I get it, I get it you’re  seeing the same type of player but even then don’t underestimate the value of a good big man rotation.

Bucks and lakers are laughing at every other nba team right now including media who said they (lakers more so) wouldn’t work cause the floor won’t be spread out enough for lebron . But we can see the lakers are extremely impactful even though the prediction of them not being a good shooting team with 3s are true....they still dominated the paint all game with lebron, AD, McGee, Howard.

shooters are needed! I’m not saying they aren’t  but honestly they are very hit or miss unless they’re great star talents. Korver was ass for us in the playoffs when we had him (yeah I said it). Joe Harris 3pt champ was ass for the Nets in the playoffs last year and I believe he led the league in 3pt % last season.

we will have to agree to disagree on Trez and that’s fine....I value shooters but I also value the fact that Shooters unless they are stars will let you down when the going gets tough ....we need them but the really good ones like Bertans & Harris  are one dimensional talents.