• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well I remember you saying this kind of stuff, seemingly wanting Harrell in lieu of Collins.

20200507_222055.jpg

20200507_222132.jpg

20200507_222220.jpg

Granted in the final one...you did mention playing them together.

I hope @AHF sees this.  Great work Jaybird!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Well I remember you saying this kind of stuff, seemingly wanting Harrell in lieu of Collins.

20200507_222055.jpg

20200507_222132.jpg

20200507_222220.jpg

Granted in the final one...you did mention playing them together.

I said it but that doesn't mean I am not entitled to change my opinion. 

Most of my anger at that time was due to knowing what was going on behind the scenes and speaking with industry folks who agreed that John is worth Aaron Gordon money, clearly not Siakam money. 

In all honesty, I want to keep John. Obviously NOT for an insane amount of money.

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

I said it but that doesn't mean I am not entitled to change my opinion. 

Most of my anger at that time was due to knowing what was going on behind the scenes and speaking with industry folks who agreed that John is worth Aaron Gordon money, clearly not Siakam money. 

In all honesty, I want to keep John. Obviously NOT for an insane amount of money.

:good:

But even if you think he isn't worth a max doesn't mean you throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water.

And again, if I had a choice between paying JC a max vs paying Harrell $20 mil to start at PF...I'm taking JC.

• Like 3

• Moderators

All those posts are from like a 4 hour period of time.  Supes has been much more positive before and after that spree.  Still has some concerns about defense long term.  Nothing new here.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

How is Harrell redundant? He's the only one of three who plays both ends. Bertrans defense is awful and Collins defense is one of the worse of starting PFs in the association. Considering we got Trae Young, that's the redundancy I want no part of

I'm not a huge believer in his defense. Not awful, certainly not great

Again, solid player, but I look at it this way: our biggest needs are shooting, defense and playmaking. IMO, he helps with none of those.

30 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I'm not a huge believer in his defense. Not awful, certainly not great

Again, solid player, but I look at it this way: our biggest needs are shooting, defense and playmaking. IMO, he helps with none of those.

How? Can you further explain?

If you see him as just a solid player, you probably don't value him. 

Our biggest need is quality impact players (at least one since Capela trade) defense, and shooting. We critically need all three. 

He helps two of three. Shooting is just going to be something we have to improve internally. The guys available are too one wayish

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:good:

But even if you think he isn't worth a max doesn't mean you throw out the proverbial baby with the bath water.

And again, if I had a choice between paying JC a max vs paying Harrell $20 mil to start at PF...I'm taking JC.

Paying the max to John is on the same level as paying Harrison Barnes his current salary. It's a gross overpay and one that hampers the team's ability to build a contender moving forward. 

I think some have said Capela do not play defense, I don’t agree with that statement, I think Clint plays defense as well as Trez. His rebounding and shot blocking is better. Can Trez play PF? Currently he plays C and there is where he is playing well. I think he can play PF as he has skills to score on the inside coming from outside and giving Capela some space to operate but they score essentially on the same way, that would make our offense too easy to defend, I think they don’t fit, Trez is a small ball C and that is what he is. We already have Capela and Dedmon, we have other holes to spend the money.

On the fit with Collins I think they would be to small and would be easy to destroy by power players, I think that would be a disastrous defense.

Trez is essentially a younger Draymond Green on defense with Dedmon defensive mind while Green is a Basketball genius on defense. Trez is one of the best defenders in the NBA. 

Capela is one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA. 

Collins is proven to be one of the worse defensive bigs over the last three seasons. 

I don't know why some of us are fighting this. We need one more high impact piece. That's literally all we are missing. The rest is just maturation. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree.  And I'm all in with signing him.  Supes and Spud (gulp) are right.  We need 3 quality front court players no matter how you slice it.   And right now it's only JC and Capela who are high impact.   I still think it's a big stretch to claim he'll be an all star but he's certainly someone I'd love on the team.  

Hey, hey now I wouldn't go that far.  Let's just say they're not totally wrong.

🤠

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

As we think about our loads of capspace this offseason and how we spend it, please note this is a real possibility for 2021, reduction in cap:

It will be interesting to see if we sign long term big money contracts or more short term high dollar contracts to save capspace for 2021 which may be a lot less than the projections were to start this season.

So with the anticipated big name 2021 FA bonanza that everyone is talking about, judicious spending this offseason is warranted.

I have noted previously however, that despite the big name 2021 class, how many of the big name FAs will actually look to the Hawks.  I know, we at least meed to have some capspace in reserve for this possibility.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As we think about our loads of capspace this offseason and how we spend it, please note this is a real possibility for 2021, reduction in cap:

It will be interesting to see if we sign long term big money contracts or more short term high dollar contracts to save capspace for 2021 which may be a lot less than the projections were to start this season.

So with the anticipated big name 2021 FA bonanza that everyone is talking about, judicious spending this offseason is warranted.

I have noted previously however, that despite the big name 2021 class, how many of the big name FAs will actually look to the Hawks.  I know, we at least meed to have some capspace in reserve for this possibility.

The issue with 2021 is just about most teams have a slot now there are a lot of players whereas this year, it's just a few

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Trez is essentially a younger Draymond Green on defense with Dedmon defensive mind while Green is a Basketball genius on defense. Trez is one of the best defenders in the NBA. 

I'm pretty sure you rate his defense higher than anyone else on the planet does. A lot of Clippers fans will tell you he's not even a good defender. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I think we're fighting over the minutiae because there's nothing going on right now.

I think we all agree adding a player like Harrell helps us and provides a lot of what we lack.

There, I've just settled all disputes.  Everyone may now consider me the Mahatma Ghandi of the Squawk.

welcome.gif

But ur the one that said Trez couldn’t play D. So I’m not ready to let you off the hook with that...or ur shadow @JayBirdHawk. SHOTS!

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Paying the max to John is on the same level as paying Harrison Barnes his current salary. It's a gross overpay and one that hampers the team's ability to build a contender moving forward. 

Not even close to the same level.  JC >>> HB.

• Thanks 3