• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Wait what?  Spud you think Harrell is an all star?  the 6'7" center Harrell?  Who's started 25 games in 5 year NBA career and hasn't cracked 10 rebounds per36 yet and doesn't have any range?   I mean it's hard not to like his hustle but he probably needs to become a starter before we start talking all star.    Or maybe we're talking about someone else and i'm being dumb.  

Trez is a monster man

• Like 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

But he didn’t get the minutes in Clipperland and he was still one of their most effective. You’re telling me that if you ask Harrell to board more in slightly higher minutes that he is unable to do it?

Harrell played 28 minutes per game.  Given Atlanta's roster, he wouldn't even play that many minutes.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Harrell played 28 minutes per game.  Given Atlanta's roster, he would even play that many minutes.

Ya but we want competition at positions. We aren’t a championship team where we are set. No position is set besides PG frankly and that includes PF Collins not being locked in due to coming contract situations. Again, I love Collins but until we start winning or seeing some improvements we should bring in talent and let them battle for minutes. Nothing should be given to anyone at this point..again but Trae.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya but we want competition at positions. We aren’t a championship team where we are set. No position is set besides PG frankly and that includes PF Collins not being locked in due to coming contract situations. Again, I love Collins but until we start winning or seeing some improvements we should bring in talent and let them battle for minutes. Nothing should be given to anyone at this point..again but Trae.

So you want to build a championship team by constantly holding auditions for each starting position?  I guess I should do some research to see which championship teams were built this way.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

But he didn’t get the minutes in Clipperland and he was still one of their most effective. You’re telling me that if you ask Harrell to board more in slightly higher minutes that he is unable to do it? I dunno man the guy is tough and now he’s learning the rule book to the extreme and is only beginning.

You do know I was replying to your post about PJ Washington right? His poor rebounding, 5.4 a game, and Charlotte's weak Centers are why I think they chase Harrell.

In other words Harrell is a better big than both their top Centers and their starting Power Forward. They could chase someone else. Rumor was they liked Drummond when he was being shopped. Charlotte is going to chase a big in free agency. I would bet good money on that.

The Knicks might be a coin toss; but I would not call them setup for their future with Randle, Portis, Taj, and Robinson. Some of the better teams could look at all four Knicks bigs and call them good backups.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

You do know I was replying to your post about PJ Washington right? His poor rebounding, 5.4 a game, and Charlotte's weak Centers are why I think they chase Harrell.

In other words Harrell is a better big than both their top Centers and their starting Power Forward. They could chase someone else. Rumor was they liked Drummond when he was being shopped. Charlotte is going to chase a big in free agency. I would bet good money on that.

The Knicks might be a coin toss; but I would not call them setup for their future with Randle, Portis, Taj, and Robinson. Some of the better teams could look at all four Knicks bigs and call them good backups.

I was gonna say Trez avg. 7.1 boards in 28 minutes. But you did also say that they would try to run PJ at SF which is absolutely not going to happen. He’s a 4/5 player, no way can they slide him to the 3. It’s possible the Hornets are interested but I think they have their future PF in PJ in the making, so if anything they will get a 4 vet that is cheaper to mentor him.

Trez is too smart too go to the Knicks. He’s not going to waste his career with that.

9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I was gonna say Trez avg. 7.1 boards in 28 minutes. But you did also say that they would try to run PJ at SF which is absolutely not going to happen. He’s a 4/5 player, no way can they slide him to the 3. It’s possible the Hornets are interested but I think they have their future PF in PJ in the making, so if anything they will get a 4 vet that is cheaper to mentor him.

Trez is too smart too go to the Knicks. He’s not going to waste his career with that.

I said they could try PJ at SF. I also pointed out they have Zeller and Biyombo as their #1 and #2 Center options. You seem to focus on what might not happen more than what should happen to suit your argument. The Hornets need a stating Center in the worse way. Its why they were rumored to be interested in Drummond.

Harrell played 100% this season at Center. He played 96% at Center in 2018/19.  We keep trying to pencil in Harrell as some sort of switchable Power Forward/Center. The reality is he is blowing up the last two seasons playing Center. For me it makes more sense as he cannot play outside. This season .649% of his shots were 0-3 feet, .261 of his shots were 3 - 10 feet. He does not play outside even a little bit by today's standards.

For some people on this board, I think they are wishing him in to being a great Power Forward/Center. He is not that in my opinion and apparently Doc Rivers opinion. So who does not have a starting Center going into free agency?

Hornets, Knicks, and the Cavs if they let Drummond walk. If you do not understand the difference between having Capela locked up and having no one as good as Capela, I have nothing for you.

We need a backup Center, they need starting Centers. Who will pay more for what they need? We will know in a few months. I honestly believe this: Harrell has been waiting five seasons to get paid; highest bidder wins.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harremo01.html

• Confused 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Trez is a monster man

I don't doubt it at all.  But all star is a big reach don't you think?   Not trying to discount the guy but it just seems like maybe we're overrating him a bit that doesn't jibe with his 5 years in the nba so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some minutes math I put together. Below you will see minutes per game and what that leaves left over based on 48 minutes in a game. Its simple and I started with the top five in minutes and did the math from there. You can switch roles with Huerter and Reddish but I think you can easily see my point.

Trae 35.3 leaves 12.7 Minutes
Collins 33.2 leaves 14.8 Minutes
Hunter 32.0 leaves 16.0 minutes
Huerter 31.4 leaves 16.6 minutes
Capela 32.0 ( this is a low average of what he got his last two seasons in Houston ) leaves 16.0 Minutes

Reddish 26.7 he takes all of the 16.6 left from Huerter and also takes 11.1 of the 16 minutes Hunter is giving up.
Dedmon 23.3 Minutes. He probably won't get that but he should get all of Capela's BU minutes ( 16 ).

That leaves:
Trae's BU 12.7 Minutes
Collin's BU 14.8 Minutes
Hunter's BU 4.9 Minutes

There is not a lot of room here for a SG, SF, or Center. This is why I think Bertans and/or a tweener like Grant or Crowder is the fit.

I think those who want to pay Harris SG/SF and Harrell a Center all day are going to be disappointed. No team can afford to pay players 15-20 million a year to play 15 minutes. Its just not feasible. For those who want to say its Harrell to back up Capela and we are ruling Dedmon out; that is still only 16 - 20 minutes a game best case.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't doubt it at all.  But all star is a big reach don't you think?   Not trying to discount the guy but it just seems like maybe we're overrating him a bit that doesn't jibe with his 5 years in the nba so far.

Yup.  And why are we ignoring the fact that he's actually not that great a defender?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think those who want to pay Harris SG/SF and Harrell a Center all day are going to be disappointed. No team can afford to pay players 15-20 million a year to play 15 minutes. Its just not feasible. For those who want to say its Harrell to back up Capela and we are ruling Dedmon out; that is still only 16 - 20 minutes a game best case.

Here is the crazy part...Some posters are insinuating that Harrell could possibly replace John as the starting power forward in the future

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  And why are we ignoring the fact that he's actually not that great a defender?

My whole point in this Harrell debate is that we cannot afford to pay him, now that we have Capela. Its just bad management of cap to pay 16 Million to Capela and 15 - 20 million to Harrell. It has nothing to do with if I think he is a good player. He was on my FA most wanted list right up until we traded for Capela.

Harrell cannot play PF and he is a waste backing up Capela for what he will cost us.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Harrell is 18th in WAR and has been on the same path as Millsap during his time with the Jazz. Honestly, Harrell is a beast. He like Sap has his limitations but he's a lot better than anyone on this team not named Trae Young right now.

This is a two way game, unless your offense is out of this world like Trae, you gotta do it on both ends and even Trae needs to do it on both ends.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Harrell is one of the best switch defenders in the NBA. He covers ground in space extremely well. Harrell is a modern PF defensively. Its offense where he is a traditional 5. 

Saying his defense isn't that great is a low IQ statement

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

My whole point in this Harrell debate is that we cannot afford to pay him, now that we have Capela. Its just bad management of cap to pay 16 Million to Capela and 15 - 20 million to Harrell. It has nothing to do with if I think he is a good player. He was on my FA most wanted list right up until we traded for Capela.

Harrell cannot play PF and he is a waste backing up Capela for what he will cost us.

This is pure rubbish.

Have you watched Montrezl Harrell play?

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Harrell is 18th in WAR and has been on the same path as Millsap during his time with the Jazz. Honestly, Harrell is a beast. He like Sap has his limitations but he's a lot better than anyone on this team not named Trae Young right now.

This is a two way game, unless your offense is out of this world like Trae, you gotta do it on both ends

Told you @Buzzard

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

This is pure rubbish.

Have you watched Montrezl Harrell play?

Yea yea yea, great retort. Rubbish is in my vocabulary as well but I don't try to impress people with it. Harrell is a Center. The most he has ever been used by one of the best coaches in the league at PF was three seasons ago for 32% of the time. Houston even figured it out and played him at Center 97% of the time his 2nd season.

You and @Spud2nique are totally welcome to your opinions and I have enough class to not call them rubbish. Next season we will see who is right or wrong about where Harrell plays most of his minutes at and I am willing to make my opinion a bet. What say you and @Spud2nique?

Are you willing to put a avatar bet where your opinions ( mouths ) are?

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Yea yea yea, great retort. Rubbish is in my vocabulary as well but I don't try to impress people with it. Harrell is a Center. The most he has ever been used by one of the best coaches in the league at PF was three seasons ago for 32% of the time. Houston even figured it out and played him at Center 97% of the time his 2nd season.

You and @Spud2nique are totally welcome to your opinions and I have enough class to not call them rubbish. Next season we will see who is right or wrong about where Harrell plays most of his minutes at and I am willing to make my opinion a bet. What say you and @Spud2nique?

Are you willing to put a avatar bet where your opinions ( mouths ) are?

This ain't even worth my time, I been through this plenty of times with you. He's one of the best modern defensive 4s in the NBA. After Green, Issac, Giannis and Davis is Harrell. He's been better on that end in the last two years than Green. 

Offensively, he can score back to the basket and as a roll man. He's not as good as John or that close to me but he does just enough to be worth 16-18ppg. He's reliable offensively.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Here is the crazy part...Some posters are insinuating that Harrell could possibly replace John as the starting power forward in the future

He ain't replacing John, he is partnering with John. We need both for now.

• Like 1