• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ray Young on what really happened on Draft Night...

JTB

27 minutes ago, thecampster said:

To be fair, Dallas wanting Luka had at least a little to do with race.  I mentioned this privately to someone recently but there are a few cities that are definitely more white player friendly and fall for the great white hope angle.  Boston and Utah, being the most well known but Indianapolis, Denver, and Dallas all fall into this category too when it comes to player acquisition.

Wrong. Dallas is a top 10 black market, one of biggest black populations with a million strong, with more black people than Los Angeles or Baltimore. 

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Wrong. Dallas is a top 10 black market, one of biggest black populations with a million strong, with more black people than Los Angeles or Baltimore. 

Really???? Seriously that’s shocking if true

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

One thing people said about Luka is that's he's slow, but they weren't looking at the film correctly. Luka patiently attacks the lane waiting for a cutter or a shooter as the defense collapses. Going 100mph on every play like Ja Morant is not always a good sign. That's a tough way to maintain a career, and those get injured as they age. Guys like Luka know how use their body and are patient, not letting the defense speed them up, sort of LeBron-esque. 

Thats super hard to evaluate when a guy is playing in Europe against lesser talent/athletes. You see him and say no way can he do that in the NBA, not realizing just how savvy he really is. Most guys if they are slow on film, they are just slow. 

Luka's game reminds me alot more of Harden than Lebron.

50 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I've been to Dallas a couple times the past few years, one of which was solely to see Trae vs. Luka in their rookie seasons..... the only black people I remember are the 3 fellow Hawks fans I found late in the game that I hung out with. Aside from that, zero. So if there are more than in LA or Baltimore, they must be hiding..... not saying you're wrong, just saying I'm shocked if that's true. Because it really did feel like the whitest city ever, and I hope to never go there again. Shit, all of Texas for that matter. 

20 minutes ago, warcore said:

I've been to Dallas a couple times the past few years, one of which was solely to see Trae vs. Luka in their rookie seasons..... the only black people I remember are the 3 fellow Hawks fans I found late in the game that I hung out with. Aside from that, zero. So if there are more than in LA or Baltimore, they must be hiding..... not saying you're wrong, just saying I'm shocked if that's true. Because it really did feel like the whitest city ever, and I hope to never go there again. Shit, all of Texas for that matter. 

These are verifiable statistics. 

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

By 2010 census results[edit]

Rank City African-American Population Size (2010 Census)[citation needed] Percentage African-American
1 New York, New York MSA 3,352,616 17.8
2 Atlanta, Georgia MSA 1,707,913 32.4
3 Chicago, Illinois MSA 1,645,993 17.4
4 Washington, District of Columbia (DC-MD-VA-WV) PMSA 1,438,436 25.8
5 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania PMSA 1,241,780 20.8
6 Miami, Florida PMSA 1,206,470 21.0
7 Houston, Texas PMSA 1,169,185 21.0
8 Detroit, Michigan PMSA 980,451 22.8
9 Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas PMSA 961,871 14.8
10 Los Angeles, California PMSA 907,618 7.1
11 Baltimore, Maryland PMSA 778,879 28.7
12 Memphis, Tennessee (TN-AR-MS) MSA 601,043 45.7
13 Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, Virginia MSA 522,409 31.3
14 St. Louis, Missouri (MO-IL) MSA 516,446 18.4
15 San Francisco, California - Oakland - San Jose PMSA 471,566 7.0
16 Charlotte, North Carolina PMSA 421,105 24.0

Cleveland-Lorain-Elyria, Ohio PMSA

416,528 20.1
18 New Orleans, Louisiana PMSA 397,095 34.0
19 Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia MSA 375,427 29.8
20 Orlando, Florida MSA 344,820 16.2
21 Boston, Massachusetts (MA-NH) NECMA 331,292 7.3
22 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida MSA 329,334 11.8
23 Riverside-San Bernardino, California PMSA 322,405 7.6
24 Birmingham, Alabama MSA 318,373 28.2
25 Jacksonville, Florida MSA 292,881 21.8
26 Baton Rouge, Louisiana MSA 285,911 35.6
27 Columbus, Ohio MSA 273,560 14.9
28 Indianapolis, Indiana MSA 263,376 15.0
30 Milwaukee-Waukesha, Wisconsin PMSA 261,010 16.8
30 Jackson, Mississippi MSA 257,021 47.7
30 Cincinnati, Ohio(OH-KY-IN) PMSA 255,905 12.0
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

The suburban area man, the suburban area.  From Wikipedia on the Metropolitan Dallas area:

"At the 2010 census,[35] there were 6,371,773 people. The racial makeup of DFW was 50.2% White, 15.4% African American, 0.6% Native American, 5.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 10.0% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 27.5% of the population."

Compare that with Atlanta metro where its 55.4% white but 32.4% black. 

Atlanta is a far more diversified city and dare I say one of the more accepting and integrated of the major cities. Atlanta does not = the deep south. We are an area all to our own. I've had numerous people visit me from other places (many from Chicago) and they come down here expecting all sorts of nonsense and then usually comment they see more confederate flags and separation up north than they do here.  Dallas is 78% White and Latino.  

However, I apologize for even mentioning it on the main board section. I forgot that facts are often contentious things.

Dallas metro area is not as black at Atlanta, no question. But coming in at #9 in US metropolitan black population is a strong number. Salt Lake City or Denver with their very low black populations are not good comparisons.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

The suburban area man, the suburban area.  From Wikipedia on the Metropolitan Dallas area:

"At the 2010 census,[35] there were 6,371,773 people. The racial makeup of DFW was 50.2% White, 15.4% African American, 0.6% Native American, 5.9% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 10.0% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 27.5% of the population."

Compare that with Atlanta metro where its 55.4% white but 32.4% black. 

Atlanta is a far more diversified city and dare I say one of the more accepting and integrated of the major cities. Atlanta does not = the deep south. We are an area all to our own. I've had numerous people visit me from other places (many from Chicago) and they come down here expecting all sorts of nonsense and then usually comment they see more confederate flags and separation up north than they do here.  Dallas is 78% White and Latino.  

However, I apologize for even mentioning it on the main board section. I forgot that facts are often contentious things.

The statistics I quoted include the entire metropolitan population. 

24 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Dallas metro area is not as black at Atlanta, no question. But coming in at #9 in US metropolitan black population is a strong number. Salt Lake City or Denver with their very low black populations are not good comparisons.

so look, there is a large black population in Dallas...no question....but it is also a very small percentage of the metro population (where ticket sales come from) when compared to other metropolitan areas. Also, the wealth factors for minorities in cities like Atlanta are a perfect basis for comparison.  Atlanta's population across income spectrums is just as diverse.  In cities like Dallas, Salt Lake city and Boston, your sports buying client is much different and its catered to. The teams aren't "packed" that way...but there is always someone on the team to fit the city culture.  Utah cried bloody murder when Hayward left and the fanbase in Boston went crazy for him.  I'm speaking from a purely human perspective here, no making judgments any way or the other....its just city history and dynamic.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

BK's right. While nobody's calling DFW a Chocolate City anytime soon, there's enough of us Black residents population-wise in the metro area. The number of citizens, like in most Sunbelt locales, is growing, although the rate of growth isn't as fast as for Latinx citizens of any race. Further, African-immigrant growth is outpacing European-immigrant growth in the Metroplex.

I'd argue their Deep Ellum is our Sweet Auburn -- strong historical base, so-called "slum clearance", highways and gentrification tearing at the community fabric over generations. The citizens have long since spread out from there, with newcomers settling largely in the cheaper-land inner suburbs. But there's a Black Mayor in Eric Johnson, the city's first since 2002.

What we see in the well-to-do and touristy centers of town have more to do with the wealth gaps than a lack of Black citizens. Still, for Black commerce, at least pre-pandemic, an up-and-coming enterprise could do a lot worse than settle in Texas.

https://dallasinnovates.com/texas-ranks-second-in-best-states-for-black-entrepreneurs-study/

(FEB 20, 2020) Texas is an advantageous area for black entrepreneurs to start a business, according to its No. 2 ranking on a list of the best states for black entrepreneurship. The study, in honor of Black History Month, was compiled from research by FitSmallBusiness.com and YouGov.

Texas ranked behind only Georgia...

Digging into the specifics, Texas ranked No. 1 in the number of paid employees and No. 5 in the number of black-owned businesses.

The state also garnered an “opportunity share of new entrepreneurs” rating of 85 percent, which measures the percentage of founders creating a business by choice rather than necessity. And the study found that the Lone Star State has a 79 percent “startup early-survival rate.”

I found that for Mark Cuban and Dallas, the opportunity for a bridge from his inherited soon-to-retire Euro-player (also acquired via trade, many moons ago), once an exceptional prospect who showed everyone how to get it done if they just stick with him long enough, was too compelling not to pursue. Besides, on Draft Day, they already had a Point Guard of the Future, in Dennis Smith. Jr.

Here in Atlanta, where we just survived Deng-gate and brought in a mostly new regime, I don't doubt there were some concerns if Luka struggled from the outset (limited catch-and-shoot touches, under a newbie coach, heavier defensive expectations, and waiting in the wings while watching fellow Euro-star Dennis Schröder sop up the ball might have done that here), somebody like JJJ or (lol) Bamba started thriving, and some local fans who still wish MVP Matty Ice could morph into Vintage Mike Vick started grumbling. But I do doubt that these race/nationalist concerns were swaying factors. Not with the regime we have running the show now.

Getting a Point Guard of the Future as a centerpiece of the rebuild, plus assets from deals of Luka and Schröder, and keeping him out of an equally-bad division rival's grubby hands, I believe held sway. Helping Cuban pursue his Euro-bridge dream was an effective way to go about it.

~lw3

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think so honestly. I think it's a cop out. Givony was close to TS. He was saying it's to sell tickets. But honestly, people questioned Luka ability to lead on championship team. It wasn't this no brainer decision for teams who want to rebuild and add talent. If it wasn't for the dumb Knicks and that stupid trade. There is a great chance Dallas would just be Memphis 2.0 right now. Good team with a nice future. Not a young contending type team

Soooo Luka didn't lead Madrid to the Euroleague title in 2018(a league considered to be second only to the NBA) and win MVP of that tournament at age 18?

20 hours ago, Eddielives said:

Soooo Luka didn't lead Madrid to the Euroleague title in 2018(a league considered to be second only to the NBA) and win MVP of that tournament at age 18?

You know the NBA don't give a shit about levels below. Melo won a title at Cuse by himself. Did it help in the NBA 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You know the NBA don't give a shit about levels below. Melo won a title at Cuse by himself. Did it help in the NBA 

He's had a great NBA career, probably make the hall of fame. But it's honestly very hard to predict who will be great. Very few players become truly great, so people always doubt players coming in the draft, because odds are they wont become great. It's much easier to say "he's overrated" than to say "he's a future superstar."

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Lol. So you know what I know and what the NBA knows. I guess there’s no need for my independent thoughts or the league’s Mr. Clairvoyant. 

• Premium Member
On 8/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, AHF said:

We could have and I criticized the deal from that angle but what I think we could have gotten (an unprotected pick) ended up no different than what we got (the #10* pick) so I'm all good at this point.

*Thanks to Peo for the correction.

Yea, the protection had us sweating but it all worked out. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Imagine if we were stuck with Dallas's #18 this year, and Dallas had a top 5 pick last year. That would have been an absolute disaster. Maybe fireable for Schlenk. 

It would have been brutal.  Very, very glad that didn’t happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Imagine if we were stuck with Dallas's #18 this year, and Dallas had a top 5 pick last year. That would have been an absolute disaster. Maybe fireable for Schlenk. 

And imagine if they took Cam at #5....Who were we taking at #8? That wouldve been worst than a disaster....