• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any observable differences with McMillan?

Wurider05

• Premium Member

Nate McMillan preaches from the same bible that coaches have used since mankind began keeping score. Yes, that includes Lloyd Pierce, the fellow McMillan recently supplanted as the Hawks’ lead conductor.

There was nothing new or revelatory in McMillan ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lets just say Nate's basketball bible has some strict commandments you have to follow as well. Pierce's two commandments he repeated after almost every game, the shots fell or they did not fall.

The Hawks shot a poor 43.3% from the field. They also shot a less than stellar 35.7 from downtown. Rebounding and turnovers were pretty much dead even. Yet the Hawks won.

A month ago they lose this game by 10.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Better substitution patterns. Better lineups late in the 4th. More off-ball movement. Moving the ball around better.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's still a small sample size, but I think one thing that is happening is that the players believe in Nate more than they did Lloyd.  When you believe in the coach, it is easier to believe in yourself.  When you don't have faith in the coach, it's hard to play your best and also give the greatest effort.  

When you have a coach that wants to lead you into a rabbit hole that may have a snake ( loss ) hiding inside, its hard to want to go all in and jump down that hole. Pierce created a lot of doubt over his 2.5 years.

McMillan is proven as a player and a coach. Doubting him should not be a option.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

If we're being honest, and most of you aren't, there's been no discernable difference in style or philosophy or even strategy really.

Or maybe y'all will pretend you didn't see Gallo at the 5 and Capela sitting most of the 4th last night.

You guys're so cute with yer agenda-ing.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If we're being honest, and most of you aren't, there's been no discernable difference in style or philosophy or even strategy really.

Or maybe y'all will pretend you didn't see Gallo at the 5 and Capela sitting most of the 4th last night.

There are some visible differences like not having Gallo play the 5 and keeping Capela late in games. (Aside from this game as you mentioned)

There was also less reliance on the pnr in the first half and JC was featured more aggressively than I've seen with LP.

I also saw Gallo and Bogi run around set screens for open looks, less of that with LP.

Edited by aali34
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I noticed Capela came back in at around the three minute mark. His presence caused Powell to pass up a 6ft bunny and hand it off to Bembry; who then missed a 3ft bunny. Critical stop to say the least.

So long as Collins and Gallinari are on the floor together, I do not call Gallo the center. I don't care what the lineup card says. If you want to split the difference and say they are playing a 3 forward 2 guard lineup so be it.

I am sure they get switched as the Hawks switch a lot. When Gallo is in there with Capela or Okongwu they get switched as well. But Collins is the rebounding big man. Gallo is the stretch big man.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

🥱... just say you were wrong and you’re a Lloyd fan boy and move on, cut your losses, oh wait I forget you never you were WRONG. 

You prolly think we would be 5-1 under Lloyd if he wasn’t canned. 

My name is kg and I was wrong. (Something like this would work)... but you feel it’ll take away from your ego to admit your mistakes. It won’t. Just try it, you’ll feel better inside. Humans make mistakes, it happens.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, aali34 said:

There are some visible differences like not having Gallo play the 5 and keeping Capela late in games. (Aside from this game as you mentioned)

There was also less reliance on the pnr in the first half and JC was featured more aggressively than I've seen with LP.

I also saw Gallo and Bogi run around set screens for open looks, less of that with LP.

This is all fair.

The problem I have is certain folks chiming in acting like everything is different now even though they know it isn't.

Don't mind me.  They know I'm talking to them.

• Thanks 2