• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Well, Sap joins the ring chasing crowd.  That is  nice get for the Nets, imo.  They can use the depth and unlike some egos in that lockeroom he won't be causing any problems or be short on effort at any time.

Arent we ring chasing in Atlanta? lol

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, terrell said:

Arent we ring chasing in Atlanta? lol

Ring chasing is when you pass up more money and more minutes to take an inconsequential or limited bench role in support of a team that is a favorite to win a ring.

So, no.

First, we aren't considered favorites to win a ring next year.

Second, we didn't sign any free agents to deals where they passed up more money and bigger roles in order to win that ring.

We are working to win a championship but aren't in the group of teams that are favorites (see how many experts or vegas odd lines have us winning a ring or among the top 3 in odds).  We are more in the category of teams like Utah, Denver, and the Heat.

The favorites this year are the Lakers, Nets, Bucks and Warriors.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

After last season’s success, things are going to get tougher for the Hawks this year. Also, if the Nets, Bucks and Sixers are healthy, it is going to be much harder to get to the final four again. Do you think the Hawks will make an aggressive move to better compete with those teams, or do you see Travis Schlenk just being patient and see what he has in this young core? — Diego M.

The best part about where the Hawks are currently positioned is they can choose any route they want. If they wanted to be aggressive and go after a star player, they can. If they wanted to wait a little while longer and continue watching their young core grow before trading anyone, they can do that, too.

The current sense I get is they’re going to take more of a patient approach with this coming season, unless something smacks them upside the head and there’s no way they can dismiss whatever aggressive possibility potentially stares them in the face. I know they haven’t put all of their chips in for anything … yet. I think that’s the big thing hovering around this team. It seems like there’s an inevitability of a big move happening in the future, but figuring out when that might be is the mystery.

I also think everyone knows that as currently constructed, the Nets are the team to beat. They have three of the best 10-ish players in the league and now have quality role players around them. If they’re healthy, they’re going to be tough to beat. I also think fans shouldn’t be displeased if the Hawks don’t make the NBA Finals this year and it’s a setback. If you’re thinking like this, you’re only setting yourself up to be miserable. Let’s remember: The Hawks were only 10 games over .500 this past season. Going 46-36 in the regular season in an 82-game season wouldn’t make anyone think that’s a team that should be in the finals. The Hawks do have better depth going into this year, but I don’t think it’s a roster that could realistically compete with the Nets for the Eastern Conference crown.

After going to the ECF despite injuries, now getting our full squad back healthy and also crushing the offseason, tell me how to approach this season as a tortured Atlanta sports fan. Am I allowed to be hopeful? Should I temper all expectations and be pleasantly surprised? What should I do with my hands? — Ben B.

Like I said in my last answer, if you’re expecting a run at the finals, I’d slow down just a bit. Now, do I think the Hawks have a chance if things break right for them? I do. I think they should finish in the top half of the East. What happens after that? Who knows. The playoffs are finicky because teams are always an injury or two away from things going sideways and their seasons ending in a flash.

I think fans should be hopeful Atlanta can have home-court advantage in the playoffs. I’m just hesitant to say this team should be two wins away from the finals again or be declared a bust. Last season was special. If they can put together another magical postseason run this season, when you ask me this next offseason, I’d probably start thinking about the legitimate possibility of a title coming to Atlanta. In the meantime, I’d recommend just enjoying the run and living in the moment. This team is going to be good once again and should easily make the playoffs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ring chasing is when you pass up more money and more minutes to take an inconsequential or limited bench role in support of a team that is a favorite to win a ring.

So, no.

First, we aren't considered favorites to win a ring next year.

Second, we didn't sign any free agents to deals where they passed up more money and bigger roles in order to win that ring.

We are working to win a championship but aren't in the group of teams that are favorites (see how many experts or vegas odd lines have us winning a ring or among the top 3 in odds).  We are more in the category of teams like Utah, Denver, and the Heat.

The favorites this year are the Lakers, Nets, Bucks and Warriors.

At this point of his career why wouldnt he ? Money isnt everything.. Some people care more about winning than $...."Ring chasing" is a made up narrative..lol. 

Edited by terrell

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

eeeewwww....that's a lot of reliable offense and long range shooting for defense.

That’s exactly what AD said in response to the caller. Why would Atlanta want to get rid of all that shooting. 

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

Lakers, Nets, Bucks

There I fixed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, terrell said:

At this point of his career why wouldnt he ? Money isnt everything.. Some people care more about winning than $...."Ring chasing" is a made up narrative..lol. 

It isn't.  Former All-Stars didn't used to go join their rivals so they could win a ring.  It has been firmly cemented for a while, though.  It was almost 20 years ago that Gary Payton and Karl Malone went ring chasing in LA.

To me the main thing is that it is completely inorganic.  A less offensive version of Durant joining the Warriors.  Fundamentally, ring chasing is a negative for me because the mentality that drives it is "it is easier to join a team that already can win a ring without me than it is to try to compete against that team."

I don't think that mentality is good for the league but it is certainly prevalent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Well, Sap joins the ring chasing crowd.  That is  nice get for the Nets, imo.  They can use the depth and unlike some egos in that lockeroom he won't be causing any problems or be short on effort at any time.

I won't knock Millsap for that. Most teams in the league don't have money to sign him outside of the vet minimum, or meaningful playing time to give him off the bench. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I won't knock Millsap for that. Most teams in the league don't have money to sign him outside of the vet minimum, or meaningful playing time to give him off the bench. 

I like Millsap too much to bash him for it either.  I more dislike the overall trend because it is super predictable that every year good vets will line up to join the Lakers, Nets, Warriors, etc. on discount contracts to fill out their bench which gives them even more of a competitive advantage over the big one of having their stars on capped max contracts when their true market value is way in excess of that capped price.  (Durant and LeBron would probably be getting paid more than $60M in contrast to their much lower ~$40M salaries if the market was uncapped).

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I like Millsap too much to bash him for it either.  I more dislike the overall trend because it is super predictable that every year good vets will line up to join the Lakers, Nets, Warriors, etc. on discount contracts to fill out their bench which gives them even more of a competitive advantage over the big one of having their stars on capped max contracts when their true market value is way in excess of that capped price.  (Durant and LeBron would probably be getting paid more than $60M in contrast to their much lower ~$40M salaries if the market was uncapped).

There's got to be a rule in the next CBA where former All-Stars in the league have higher veteran minimum contracts than non former All-Stars. That way it becomes way more expensive for teams trying to sign them if they are towards the end of their careers. 

Just an idea.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, ATLHawks3 said:

There's got to be a rule in the next CBA where former All-Stars in the league have higher veteran minimum contracts than non former All-Stars. That way it becomes way more expensive for teams trying to sign them if they are towards the end of their careers. 

Just an idea.

Would be an interesting way of doing it.  I guess I'd hate to see something like Jamaal Magloire 2.0 not being able to get signed anywhere simply because he made an All-Star team as a fringe selection 5 years ago or something.  I'm skeptical we'll see that happen but it is an interesting idea since many of these players are former All-Stars and All-NBA selections.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Would be an interesting way of doing it.  I guess I'd hate to see something like Jamaal Magloire 2.0 not being able to get signed anywhere simply because he made an All-Star team as a fringe selection 5 years ago or something.  I'm skeptical we'll see that happen but it is an interesting idea since many of these players are former All-Stars and All-NBA selections.

a vet min gest paid $2.2 million but only $1.6 mil counts against the cap - how about we alter this somewhat for teams that are waaaaaay over the cap.

• Like 1

The thing about Millsap going to BKN though is that is the team that can probably offer him the biggest role (on a good team at least). He will be in line for big minutes, not just sitting on the end of the bench. Heck, he might even end up starting over half their games. 

Edited by RandomFan