• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 into 2022 OFFSEASON News and Notes

RandomFan

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

In news that surely pleases that grumpy cat, @bleachkit, I read somewhere that RJ Barrett has grown 2 inches over the summer.

No word yet on how many pounds of pure muscle he's added.

Either way, just solidifies the fact that he's a PF and not a guard.

I thought he was a prototype 3.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Amazing how players are the same height all year and then magically grow over the summer after the season ends. Scientists should study this unique phenomenon. 

Not that I believe they are actually growing that much, but I think the "over the summer" aspect is because they are only getting measured during the offseason and before training camp (which is end of summer), but not during the actual season. So they could in theory be growing at a constant all year long, but with no tracking of it until they get in to the end of the offseason when they are getting physicals done ahead of the next season. Those results then become their new measurements for the next calendar year regardless of any changes during the season.

2 inches is still a lot, but more reasonable if considered over a calendar year vs a few months

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Not that I believe they are actually growing that much, but I think the "over the summer" aspect is because they are only getting measured during the offseason and before training camp (which is end of summer), but not during the actual season. So they could in theory be growing at a constant all year long, but with no tracking of it until they get in to the end of the offseason when they are getting physicals done ahead of the next season. Those results then become their new measurements for the next calendar year regardless of any changes during the season.

2 inches is still a lot, but more reasonable if considered over a calendar year vs a few months

2 inches is a lot. If Trae grew two inches, you would be like "whoa, he looks way bigger than before." I'd bet a small fortune RJ is exactly the same as before. It's just part of hyping up of young players because height is desireable. They do the same thing in football, except they use muscle. They will say "he put 25 lbs of muscle in the off-season." Then you see him and he looks exactly the same. 

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

2 inches is a lot. If Trae grew two inches, you would be like "whoa, he looks way bigger than before." I'd bet a small fortune RJ is exactly the same as before. It's just part of hyping up of young players because height is desireable. They do the same thing in football, except they use muscle. They will say "he put 25 lbs of muscle in the off-season." Then you see him and he looks exactly the same. 

They do that in all sports now.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Like this, lol

Then he got a notice re drug test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Ant man is definitely done growing. Guys who are still growing have a lean, boyish look. Ant-Man already has his full size man body, I assure you. 

This is a lie and I have proof ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47cbbmprpf24opzcstqa

Come on, even you had to appreciate that one. 😏

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This is a lie and I have proof ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47cbbmprpf24opzcstqa

Come on, even you had to appreciate that one. 😏

You know who else is done growing? Bronny James. Only 6'2". That's why I'm not bullish on him as an NBA prospect. At that height he will have to play the point, which is not easy. Guess where undersized combo guards go? On the bench mostly, or out of the league unless theyre a big time scorer. 

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/top-10-players-under-age25-for-the-202122-season

From 16th on Espn before last season to number 2 this season on basketballnews.com. 

LUKA DONCIC, DALLAS MAVERICKS

Doncic is the favorite to win this season's NBA MVP award for good reason. He’s already established himself as one of the best players in the league with an effortless, beautiful brand of basketball that allows him to fill the stat sheet. Each year, Doncic has significantly improved various aspects of his game. We haven’t seen a prospect get off to this kind of start in the NBA since LeBron James, which puts Doncic on a generational path.

Doncic has already reached a level where he can carry his Dallas Mavericks to a playoff berth, and potentially to a top-four seed in 2021-22 with another leap. Next, he'll try to help the Mavs win their first playoff series since their championship run in 2011. The Slovenian phenom has next, and he certainly seems poised to take over the league. And while this ranking is solely based on each player's current contributions, it's wild to think that Doncic is still only 22 years old (meaning he's younger than some of the incoming rookies, including Davion Mitchell and Chris Duarte).

TRAE YOUNG, ATLANTA HAWKS

After an Eastern Conference Finals appearance, Young has reached league-wide superstardom. Everything clicked together for the Hawks when Nate McMillan took over for Lloyd Pierce as head coach. Atlanta rode this momentum while Young took a leap and became one of the best point guards in the Association.

Young can go off for 30-to-40 points whenever he pleases, and his playmaking ability is reminiscent of a young Steve Nash. Young’s trajectory is to the moon, and Atlanta gaining postseason experience with last year's deep playoff run should only help Young. This season, it'll be interesting to see how Young adjusts to the NBA's new rules against unnatural foul-baiting (which were added in large part due to him).

JAYSON TATUM, BOSTON CELTICS

Tatum is one of my favorite NBA betting dark-horse options to win MVP. Boston has built a team around Tatum that allows him to continuously produce buckets. Once the calendar hit March, Tatum averaged nearly 30 points per game with an impressive efficiency clip. Alongside Jaylen Brown, who turns 25 years old next month, Boston’s dynamic wing duo could vault the Celtics into the Eastern Conference's second tier of contenders.

Among the young wings in the league, I’m riding with Tatum to be the most valuable in 2021-22 and beyond. He’s just now realizing how special of a scorer he can become in Boston.

ZION WILLIAMSON, NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

Williamson has already seen immense organizational turnover around him in the Bayou State. Through it all, he’s still showcasing superstar potential on a nightly basis. Williamson just averaged 27.0 points in his age-20 season. And with the Pelicans building a more competent rotation to space the floor, Williamson could average 30-plus points per game in 2021-22.

Williamson is a titan in the paint, and he should continue to establish his dominance throughout his career. Soon enough, New Orleans is going to become a force to be reckoned with thanks to Williamson and the rest of their young core.

BAM ADEBAYO, MIAMI HEAT

It’s hard to name an NBA big man who's more versatile than Adebayo. Not only can Bam score effectively around the rim with an improving range, he can also run the offense and protect the rim with the best of ‘em. Adebayo already plays such a pivotal role for the Heat, and he’s going to be a critical piece this season as they hope to make an NBA Finals run.

If Adebayo continues to develop into a more well-rounded scorer throughout his prime, he will quickly become one of the best overall bigs in the NBA. Having Kyle Lowry as his point guard will do wonders for him immediately as well.

It's amazing what happens when you surround a budding young superstar with competent talent. 

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Most guys are done growing by age 17 or so. In fact some guys are done growing by age 14 or 15. For RJ Barrett to grow 2 inches at age 21? I'm going to have to call BS on that. You don't stay 6'7" for 2 years, and then suddenly add 2 inches. That's not how it works. 

Edited by bleachkit

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

gloating

I had him getting 2-3 yrs @ something between $3 and $5m per from someone... so nah... I was too far off the mark.

Word abroad was that CSKA Moscow was going to give him a big pay day if he stayed in Europe. I'm a little surprised he settled for what amounts to a 1 year prove-it deal. But at least he's going to a team with enough question marks that, at some point, he's going to get some minutes to do just that, prove it.

• Like 1