• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BIG Man Depth Needed : Off Season 2021

JTB

Great playoff run ….excellent playoff run honestly however there were some issues that stuck out to me particularly with our Big man Depth at Center.

First off Capela is tremendous and our rookie Okungwu is only going to get better and showed some great potential in this year’s playoffs…..now let’s be real! These two poor guys were giving it their all but were getting ate up in the paint the last two series! ….Especially against that big front line Milwaukee has.

To me this isn’t going to just go away when you’re in East . I know it’s old school but it’s going to have to be addressed at some point when we want to really make it to a finals! Who knows that could be next season and while Capela can hold his own on most nights at the rim it’s just too tough for him and young Okungwu vs the likes of Embiid then Howard coming in and Giannis along with Lopez.

Not that you are going to ever stop Embiid or Giannis type superstars but we need more big bodies to throw at teams like this when we run into them in my opinion….again particularly another big bodied Center.

we don’t need to break the bank or anything like that and I’m certainly not suggesting to replace Capela or Okungwu, just need to get them some more help!….. instead of having Solomon Hill or Tony Snell I’d like to see us pick up a legit Big body this off season for the bench like a…..

-Hassan Whiteside

-Javale McGee 

-Robin Lopez

- maybe even Dwight Howard (if he acts right anyways)

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Great playoff run ….excellent playoff run honestly however there were some issues that stuck out to me particularly with our Big man Depth at Center.

First off Capela is tremendous and our rookie Okungwu is only going to get better and showed some great potential in this year’s playoffs…..now let’s be real! These two poor guys were giving it their all but were getting ate up in the paint the last two series! ….Especially against that big front line Milwaukee has.

To me this isn’t going to just go away when you’re in East . I know it’s old school but it’s going to have to be addressed at some point when we want to really make it to a finals! Who knows that could be next season and while Capela can hold his own on most nights at the rim it’s just too tough for him and young Okungwu vs the likes of Embiid then Howard coming in and Giannis along with Lopez.

Not that you are going to ever stop Embiid or Giannis type superstars but we need more big bodies to throw at teams like this when we run into them in my opinion….again particularly another big bodied Center.

we don’t need to break the bank or anything like that and I’m certainly not suggesting to replace Capela or Okungwu, just need to get them some more help!….. instead of having Solomon Hill or Tony Snell I’d like to see us pick up a legit Big body this off season for the bench like a…..

-Hassan Whiteside

-Javale McGee 

-Robin Lopez

Thoughts?

Robin Lopez would be a nice add if he isn't too expensive. The other guys would probably want more playing time than we could offer at the moment.

10 minutes ago, JTB said:

-Hassan Whiteside

-Javale McGee 

-Robin Lopez

Thoughts?

I think you are on the right track. I'm intrigued by Robin Lopez honestly. Always felt like he was a pest and nuisance.  Just the kind of dude that could muck it up for a series. 

With that said, I disagree on Capela. I'm starting to think he's a guy that can feast in the regular season where teams don't focus on him defensively, but in the post season, he gets eaten up and just isn't effective offensively. And even defensively, he doesn't have the same impact as an athletic big around the rim. 

I'd actually be ok trading him in the offseason. 

Edited by REHawksFan

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JTB said:

-Hassan Whiteside

-Javale McGee 

-Robin Lopez

Thoughts?

Only Robin Lopez, him and that infuriating jump hook, lol.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JTB said:

-Hassan Whiteside

-Javale McGee 

-Robin Lopez

Thoughts?

You have the right thoughts, but you need to think bigger.

It's not only could they not stop the bigger guys at center.  It's also because they can't provide any offense, unless it's off an offensive rebound, or if a PG creates it for them.  Unlike Embiid and Lopez, both Capela and Okongwu can't be dependent to make a shot beyond 10 feet.

How much more dangerous would this team be, if we had a center who could not only score while rolling to the basket, but could also be a threat from 16+ feet away from the basket?

When we were playing Collins at center, we were hoping that he could be that guy, but he's just too small and not physical enough to play the 5 full time.

If we're going to address the middle, let's swing for the fences and try to get KAT here, instead of a backup center that will have the same issues as the guys we have now.

If we're talking championship . . . remember what is normally the criteria

• A guy who is a future Hall of Famer that is currently playing at that level
  • A #2 guy who is an All-Star level player that can routinely play like a #1 guy
  • A #3 guy who is a borderline All-Star, that can routinely play like an All-Star player

When you look at the 2 teams that are left, Phoenix and Milwaukee, they both have these elements

• Hall of Famer: Paul ( PHX ) . . Giannis ( MIL )
  • All-Star:  Booker ( PHX ) . . Middleton ( MIL )
  • Borderline All-Star:  Ayton ( PHX ) . . ( MIL )

Now put that criteria to the Hawks

• Do we have a future Hall of Famer?  . . . . Trae is trending that way, but it's questionable.
  • Do we have a #2 guy who can play like a #1? . . . Trae is at least this guy, but NO, we don't have a true #2
  • Do we have a #3 guy who is a borderline All-Star player? . . . Defensively, yes ( Capela ).  Offensively . . no.

This is why the run we went on was so improbable and out of the norm.  Championship teams are normally powered by 2 - 3 guys who can get it done at any given moment.   Like a Spades hand, we had 1 and a possible.  That normally doesn't get you close to a title.

If we are SERIOUS about winning a chip, the Hawks need to target these guys

• KAT
  • Bradley Beal
  • Zach Lavine
  • DeMar Derozan
  • Kawhi Leonard

We need that Bonafide 1st or 2nd option alongside Trae.  Not a guy by committee that shows up every now and then.  That's who your #3 or #4 guys are.

There is a reason Houston traded Capela, reason was playoff performance. FT shooting and defense not as good as expected, he felt the wear. There is no reason to trade him, he is top 5 C on the east but he needs some help on certain matchups. Okongwu is a very similar in size, we need a big center to provide defense against big C. 

Best fit is probably Dieng but I would also like Whiteside, McGee, Noel…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

When you look at the 2 teams that are left, Phoenix and Milwaukee, they both have these elements

• Borderline All-Star:  Ayton ( PHX ) . . ( MIL ) Holiday

Of course Holiday was the guy that I missed in my original post.  

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

I like our guys.

Sure, Capela has almost certainly plateaued, but it's easy to forget just how good he was in the NYK series (evidently) and still at times in the PHI and MIL series. Too much chemistry was created this season, and he's lived up to most of what we'd hoped he would when, this time last year, we were waiting and wondering.

Big OO was fatabulous though. I mean, really. For someone who played so little for the regular season, this post season had to leave McM and for that matter the rest of us salivating at what he could be developing into.

What we need more than anything else is for OO to continue this trajectory and so rapidly that sometime next season he's getting at least as many minutes as Capela.

We don't need a big butt center, because that's just not congruent with how we play the game... nor do I want to see us do so.

And. We do need a healthy Dre and Cam and Kev and BogBog to build on what higher defensive regard they established for each of themselves this season... and especially Dre and Cam at the 3, where they more legitimately have strong effect on what happens in the post.

What we could use, though, in terms of new talent is another legit alternative to playing Gallo... whose own contract plausibly will be ending this time next year, at the expense of a $5m buyout... at PF.

THAT is where there's some very valid conversation to be had regarding new acquisitions.

Would you draft one?

I'm not one to advocate using our #20 pick this time, but if Schlenk does, then that will be the position where that should happen, because of the reason just outlined and that whereas you're not wise to depend on a rookie to be your #2 PG, there conceivably is some wisdom in drafting a #3 PF, and looking to develop him into a decent #2 PF option for whenever Gallo's contract is done, whether 2022 or 2023.

As others have suggested, think you go into draft night looking to see if you have another high-tier talent drop in your lap. Would be especially good in our case if there's some exceptional player who has some injury that pushes him down to us, since we can afford to sacrifice his availability early.

Of course, there's so much variability in the mock drafts again this year, that there's a good chance that someone you'd consider drafting at #20 is going to fall to the first half of the 2nd round... so if you have 3 guys you like @ #20, might be smart to trade back. (Me, I drool over NOP's count-em-FOUR 2nd rounders, with which Schlenk could likely run the table on Euro stashes, including pet cats Filip Petrusev (PF who could be a young Gallo) and Vrenz Bleijenbergh (6-10 PG who will play wing).)

Free agency?

Not really seeing the "right" guy in free agency, or at least, not a long-term option.

But a Paul Millsap reunion is, at least, a 2021-22 option.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I think you are on the right track. I'm intrigued by Robin Lopez honestly. Always felt like he was a pest and nuisance.  Just the kind of dude that could muck it up for a series. 

With that said, I disagree on Capela. I'm starting to think he's a guy that can feast in the regular season where teams don't focus on him defensively, but in the post season, he gets eaten up and just isn't effective offensively. And even defensively, he doesn't have the same impact as an athletic big around the rim. 

I'd actually be ok trading him in the offseason. 

Ouch! That’s some real tough analyzing there don’t you think???

I get it somewhat but Capela defense impact wasn’t the same only because the centers he’s going up against are so much bigger than even him. No one stops Embiid so I won’t hold him to that same with Giannis but even take a guy like Brook Lopez….dude is 7’2 likely around or close to 300 pounds.

Capela is a new era type of center. If he were up against guys his size I believe we’d see the same impact if not better than what we saw in the regular season. My goal or hope I should say is that Schlenk add some bigger bodies to help keep Capela fresh. Add another big body that will allow him to come back in with more energy.

Its too early to give up on Capela. I mean Andre Drummond is out there and fits the age gap but I doubt he’d be the better defensive center in a regular season or against most teams. Bucks, Philly just happen to have a really big bodied front court.

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So much this. We saw how Hunter was able to guard Randle and Rose. We saw how Cam wreaked havoc on Middleton and Holiday.  Now just imagine them together. Our bigs don't have to ALWAYS have to rotate for perimeter help.

I definitely agree with this and with @High5 for acknowledging that better perimeter defense will certainly help our bigs . No doubt about it but even then I still think you need to grab at least one more big body …I’m good with Robin Lopez too @JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's not only could they not stop the bigger guys at center.  It's also because they can't provide any offense, unless it's off an offensive rebound, or if a PG creates it for them.  Unlike Embiid and Lopez, both Capela and Okongwu can't be dependent to make a shot beyond 10 feet.

How much more dangerous would this team be, if we had a center who could not only score while rolling to the basket, but could also be a threat from 16+ feet away from the basket?

When we were playing Collins at center, we were hoping that he could be that guy, but he's just too small and not physical enough to play the 5 full time.

THIS

Don't have the stats to back this up, but I would suspect a great disparity in points in the paint in favor of the Bucks. The Hawks are not an elite 3 point shooting team, therefore, it is essential to get consistent low post offense to compensate for bad 3 point shooting nights - which are inevitable during the postseason when facing locked in defenses, The Bucks could go to anyone of Giannis, Lopez, or Portis when the 3 ball was dry but the Hawks really had no big man paint O other than Trae created lobs to Capella, JC, and OO.

I think Okongwu will be a viable option by 2023, but we need a gap solution in the interim. Collins is just not physical enough and Capella lacks post moves and shooting touch. I think Dedmon would have really helped the Hawks in this series.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lynred said:

THIS

Don't have the stats to back this up, but I would suspect a great disparity in points in the paint in favor of the Bucks. The Hawks are not an elite 3 point shooting team, therefore, it is essential to get consistent low post offense to compensate for bad 3 point shooting nights - which are inevitable during the postseason when facing locked in defenses, The Bucks could go to anyone of Giannis, Lopez, or Portis when the 3 ball was dry but the Hawks really had no big man paint O other than Trae created lobs to Capella, JC, and OO.

I think Okongwu will be a viable option by 2023, but we need a gap solution in the interim. Collins is just not physical enough and Capella lacks post moves and shooting touch. I think Dedmon would have really helped the Hawks in this series.

I disagree about the hawks not being an elite 3pt team. That’s debatable when this roster is healthy. I believe they proved that in the playoffs and was only not in the top 5 in 3s this season solely due to an significant amount of injuries all season long and having to learn to play together since no training camp…AND because Pierce was not putting these guys in the best position rotation wise or game plan wise to succeed.

On the part about needing 2s to compensate the team when 3s aren’t dropping I definitely agree with that but I don’t agree that the center position is the only way to overcome this. For the hawks outside of Traes lobs for 2s, we also have Traes elite floaters to rely on when he’s fully healthy and penetrates the lane. We need more than just Traes floaters of course but I think with Hunter we may have a true 2nd option that can get inside the lane or close enough to make some hard baskets…you always have Bogi and Huerters mid range game as well that’s very good. I guess I’m saying we may have an answer to compensate those bad runs when the 3s aren’t falling by just being healthy.

Dont get me wrong I will take a scoring center but I truly don’t think one is out there besides Drummond and he’s the center I was vouching for until the Capela trade. It’s very interesting topic though with Capela . I can see that our fans aren’t satisfied with what he’s giving but I think it’s too early to judge .

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we're going to address the middle, let's swing for the fences and try to get KAT here, instead of a backup center that will have the same issues as the guys we have now.

If we're talking championship . . . remember what is normally the criteria

• A guy who is a future Hall of Famer that is currently playing at that level
  • A #2 guy who is an All-Star level player that can routinely play like a #1 guy
  • A #3 guy who is a borderline All-Star, that can routinely play like an All-Star player

• Borderline All-Star:  Ayton ( PHX ) . . ( MIL )

Now put that criteria to the Hawks

• Do we have a future Hall of Famer?  . . . . Trae is trending that way, but it's questionable.
  • Do we have a #2 guy who can play like a #1? . . . Trae is at least this guy, but NO, we don't have a true #2
  • Do we have a #3 guy who is a borderline All-Star player? . . . Defensively, yes ( Capela ).  Offensively . . no.

This is why the run we went on was so improbable and out of the norm.  Championship teams are normally powered by 2 - 3 guys who can get it done at any given moment.   Like a Spades hand, we had 1 and a possible.  That normally doesn't get you close to a title.

If we are SERIOUS about winning a chip, the Hawks need to target these guys

• KAT
  • Bradley Beal
  • Zach Lavine
  • DeMar Derozan
  • Kawhi Leonard

We need that Bonafide 1st or 2nd option alongside Trae.  Not a guy by committee that shows up every now and then.  That's who your #3 or #4 guys are.

Good write up the only thing I disagree with is the statement about Trae being questionable as a HOF…I think Traes start to his career is on path to be a HOFer it’s not questionable one bit in my opinion but I don’t want to get into that or focus on that.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t know if we should jump so fast in trading away our young talent to get players like KAT or Beal. Especially Hunter and Reddish outside of Trae those guys have some serious potential. The only young player I’m willing to gamble on to get something back great is Collins right now .

Trae is no doubt a bonafide true number 1 and we do need a true number 2 but I really believe that may be Hunter. Only time will tell.

We need to make adjustments sure  and grab a few more key additions but not get carried away .

If it’s possible to trade Bogi + Collins (new deal) + 1st rd pick to get a player like KAT then you do it and don’t look back. If you can add a Player like Lavine or Derozan sure go through with it if it’s smart but most of the team should remain in place.

As far as Capela goes…I think it’s a very interesting topic that may need its own thread because I view Capela in two different ways. Anyways I will leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lynred said:

THIS

Dedmon is garbage.  He's nowhere near the guy that played with us 3 years ago.  Even in his last stint here, he was bad.

The rest of your post is spot on.  Even Utah fell victim to this with Rudy Gobert.  He's a great center that dominates the middle defensively.  On offense, he isn't going to make a shot outside of 8 feet, and all of his shots are coming off of passes someone threw to him, or offensive rebounds.

When the Clippers went small and killed the impact he had around the rim, they were able to take that series.  And that was a damn good Utah team.  But when the chips were on the table, they didn't have enough offense or defense to beat even a Kawhi-less Clipper team.

34 minutes ago, JTB said:

Good write up the only thing I disagree with is the statement about Trae being questionable as a HOF…I think Traes start to his career is on path to be a HOFer it’s not questionable one bit in my opinion but I don’t want to get into that or focus on that.

I see what you’re saying but I don’t know if we should jump so fast in trading away our young talent to get players like KAT or Beal. Especially Hunter and Reddish outside of Trae those guys have some serious potential. The only young player I’m willing to gamble on to get something back great is Collins right now .

Trae is no doubt a bonafide true number 1 and we do need a true number 2 but I really believe that may be Hunter. Only time will tell.

We need to make adjustments sure  and grab a few more key additions but not get carried away .

If it’s possible to trade Bogi + Collins (new deal) + 1st rd pick to get a player like KAT then you do it and don’t look back. If you can add a Player like Lavine or Derozan sure go through with it if it’s smart but most of the team should remain in place.

As far as Capela goes…I think it’s a very interesting topic that may need its own thread because I view Capela in two different ways. Anyways I will leave it at that.

The crazy thing is . . Collins has shown the most potential if you compare them to Hunter and Reddish.  But most fans are willing to bet that both of them become better than Collins.  I'm not so sure about that. 

Collins is a damn good complimentary offensive player right now.  He's just not aggressive enough when looking for his shot.  That's why he tends to disappear in games.  

He needs a pull up jumper that he can go to off the dribble in the midrange.  He has a real shot at being a lethal scorer in the league, if he develops this.   He needs to watch videos of ( regular season ) Julius Randle, and how he creates offense in isolation.

I like Hunter and Cam.  Both have good potential on both sides of the ball.  This year will be critical for both of them, to see if they can get some consistency in their games.  I have no problem keeping them around, if the Hawks don't want to go all out for a championship at this time.

• Like 1

I think for a multitude of reasons, you run it back with this squad. Try and replace the outgoing contracts with upgrades obviously, but give this main group a full offseason together to build upon what they just did. 

Obviously if a great player or offer becomes available you take a look. But there is a ton of talent and untapped potential on the roster.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JTB said:

I disagree about the hawks not being an elite 3pt team. That’s debatable when this roster is healthy. I believe they proved that in the playoffs and was only not in the top 5 in 3s this season solely due to an significant amount of injuries all season long and having to learn to play together since no training camp…AND because Pierce was not putting these guys in the best position rotation wise or game plan wise to succeed.

On the part about needing 2s to compensate the team when 3s aren’t dropping I definitely agree with that but I don’t agree that the center position is the only way to overcome this. For the hawks outside of Traes lobs for 2s, we also have Traes elite floaters to rely on when he’s fully healthy and penetrates the lane. We need more than just Traes floaters of course but I think with Hunter we may have a true 2nd option that can get inside the lane or close enough to make some hard baskets…you always have Bogi and Huerters mid range game as well that’s very good. I guess I’m saying we may have an answer to compensate those bad runs when the 3s aren’t falling by just being healthy.

Dont get me wrong I will take a scoring center but I truly don’t think one is out there besides Drummond and he’s the center I was vouching for until the Capela trade. It’s very interesting topic though with Capela . I can see that our fans aren’t satisfied with what he’s giving but I think it’s too early to judge .

Definitely not giving up on Capella - honestly I think he was running on fumes in this series as a result of the Embiid and Giannis wars - you could see he just didn't seem to have much lift to his game during the Buck series.  But even the regular season Capela seemed to struggle to finish around the rim outside of lobs and putbacks and it would be nice to have a complement to him off the bench - a Cousins, R Lopez, Portis, Dedmon, Dieng type that can perhaps bring scrappiness, physicality, and offensive punch off the bench at that spot (I see a developed OO as a hybrid 4/5 - eventually replacing Collins).  I think the aforementioned weaknesses in Clint's game are exposed in the playoffs, so having another bench option would be greatly beneficial when he is struggling with free throws and post finishing.

Don't think the Hawks are an elite 3pt team just yet, but they are trending that way - especially with continued core development and improved health.  Statistically, they are middle of the pack:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-point-pct

image.thumb.png.c0c4804d9a5ba0015ff48d01b10132a0.png