• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Capela no longer untouchable ???

JTB

For me it's not about not wanting capela or even thinking he didn't do a solid job in the playoffs because at times he did very well.  For me it's more so that his value right now is gonna be at it's absolute peak probably and we have a ton of high dollar contracts coming up.  So if a trade were offered that was more than we think capela could bring back you don't turn that down.   Now if a overpay from a team like maybe Golden State doesn't happen then you keep Capela and let him do work during the regular season and still help in the playoffs with what he can do well.  Then get him some extra defensive help from a bigger center behind him ready.  Let onyeka keep handling PF and Center duties at that point until you move on from Capela or you feel Onyeka is turning out to be a better player if he adds offense where Capela lacks it. 

Like if somehow golden state did offer wiseman + a top 15 pick for Capela  i just couldn't turn down that kind of offer for Capela or Collins.  But i doubt they would offer that much even if some of their fans would be happy with it.

19 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Nate didn't get a lot of time to institute defensive philosophy on this team. Capela was undersized against a few of the centers we faced but to be fair, we really didn't understand how to rotate, give help. He was on an island.

Some here may not want to hear this, but Alex Len as an option off the bench would have been huge. Cousins off the bench would have been huge. We're always looking to the future and I don't think management realized how deep we could get. 

I am really interested to see if a full offseason with Bruno will make any difference or if he's already out the door. He was a wasted talent and I'm not sure who to blame.

One more offseason for Cam, Hunter, Huerter, Collins and Trae to work on their bodies/defensive footwork might help as well.  As Trae's father has pointed out, he doesn't even have his man weight yet.

I'm interested to see what former 1st round rookies may become available in the off-season. I'd really like a young defensive big to develop who might be a cast-off elsewhere. I'm willing to let McMillan make the decision in the off-season on if Capela is the long term solution at center.

I don’t disagree with any of this! My only fear is that the backup center position is ignored this off season then again McMillan and Schlenk of course saw what happened so likely won’t get ignored.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You can't be a one way player and be just above average.  You have to be great at what you are suppose to be good at.  Something Capela isn't.  His offense is terrible!

Why can't you be a one way player who is able to score with assistance?  The emotional knee Jerk reaction to Capela not being able to man handle Embiid, Giannis, and Lopez is sickening.   Capela has a motor, he moves his feet, he plays good defense.  He can guard guys out to the perimeter.   I've said it we shouldn't look to trade him but to get a player to play behind him and on Spot duty.   Whitesides, Lopez, Len, Dieng take your pick... we need a big body with some skills defensively. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Why can't you be a one way player who is able to score with assistance?  The emotional knee Jerk reaction to Capela not being able to man handle Embiid, Giannis, and Lopez is sickening.   Capela has a motor, he moves his feet, he plays good defense.  He can guard guys out to the perimeter.   I've said it we shouldn't look to trade him but to get a player to play behind him and on Spot duty.   Whitesides, Lopez, Len, Dieng take your pick... we need a big body with some skills defensively. 

I have no problem with Capela overall. He just has some MAJOR deficiencies vs bigger centers that diminish his worth on the floor.  And we're talking about playoff basketball, not regular season.  If teams are going to start to play the Hawks differently, and take away the lob threat, how does Capela score on a consistent basis?

As for the centers you named, the problem Diesel is that you can't play those other centers beside Capela.  They have to come in for Capela.  And I don't think any of those guys are better than "playoff" Okongwu.

We're not going to play Hassan Whiteside 30+ minutes vs a guy like Embiid.  And you can't play Capela and Whiteside together, because you now have 2 non-shooters on the frontline, out on the floor.  So it's Capela that needs to hold his own vs the bigger centers.  If Okongwu plays next year like he played during the playoffs, we're good at backup center . . for now.

My biggest issue with Capela vs bigger centers, is that he plays defense too much with his hands, and not with his body.   He's a shot blocker.  So he's playing those guys like he has a chance to block their shot if he times it right, instead of just playing solid defense to force a miss.  

The other thing is that vs bigger guys, you must put a body on them in order to secure rebounds.  He, nor Collins, do this consistently.  They both rely on their athleticism to get rebounds, instead of positioning. This must be corrected next season, to prevent what we saw in this Milwaukee series with the offensive rebounds.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

100% agree

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Drummond is trash 

Yes I agree he can certainly be one that’s not good vs today’s small ball action but he probably would have held his own better vs Embiid, Lopez than what we saw from  Capela, purely due to him having more size he can use.

the most interesting thing about the bucks series in particular  is that a lot of their paint pts weren’t from some wide amount of Olajuwon like post moves but rather just powering the ball or muscling the ball to the goal or getting a offensive board and doing that.

Capela is a very good defending and rebounding center but he can’t match bigger bodies, who has length and size over him throughout a full series defensively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I have no problem with Capela overall. He just has some MAJOR deficiencies vs bigger centers that diminish his worth on the floor.  And we're talking about playoff basketball, not regular season.  If teams are going to start to play the Hawks differently, and take away the lob threat, how does Capela score on a consistent basis?

Capela has to rely on his team to set him up for easy points and run the floor. That’s the only way he’s going to score in the playoffs. It won’t be consistent but then again we don’t need consistent points out of the center position when we have Trae, Bogi, Collins, Huerter, Gallo, Lou, and a healthy Hunter and Reddish so I don’t particularly believe Capela scoring is a top need he just need to finish strong when the shot for him is there in the inside.

As for the centers you named, the problem Diesel is that you can't play those other centers beside Capela.  They have to come in for Capela.  And I don't think any of those guys are better than "playoff" Okongwu.

The centers @Diesel are naming are better vs teams like Philly (maybe) but especially the bucks. They have size you can throw back at the very least.

We're not going to play Hassan Whiteside 30+ minutes vs a guy like Embiid.  And you can't play Capela and Whiteside together, because you now have 2 non-shooters on the frontline, out on the floor.  So it's Capela that needs to hold his own vs the bigger centers.  If Okongwu plays next year like he played during the playoffs, we're good at backup center . . for now.

I’m sure he didn’t mean that we are going to play a bigger center like a Robin Lopez along with Capela and that’s why he used the “spot minutes” reference. Whiteside and Robin Lopez type centers will only be used in spot minutes or longer minutes in specific matchups were teams use a traditional size lineup and perhaps in those type of series Capelas minutes drop at least in the playoffs.

Okungwu is going to be a very good player for us but he too is outmatched by size once the game slows down and teams force you to defend in the half court more.

My biggest issue with Capela vs bigger centers, is that he plays defense too much with his hands, and not with his body.   He's a shot blocker.  So he's playing those guys like he has a chance to block their shot if he times it right, instead of just playing solid defense to force a miss.  

The other thing is that vs bigger guys, you must put a body on them in order to secure rebounds.  He, nor Collins, do this consistently.  They both rely on their athleticism to get rebounds, instead of positioning. This must be corrected next season, to prevent what we saw in this Milwaukee series with the offensive rebounds.

I don’t disagree with this and perhaps a full year under McMillan and this will be adjusted to some degree but even then I still feel a bigger body is needed behind Capela even after he makes this adjustment. Cap is going to get worn out vs teams like Philly and the bucks throwing his smaller frame compared to those teams around a full series….he definitely need another big body behind him along with Okungwu to throw some weight around as well to keep him energized.

one thing I do like and noticed is that Capela of course doesn’t tire out as quick as these bigger bodies he’s faced if he could get a significant breather while on the bench his energy coming back in those games will help him a lot vs the bigger Bigs to hold on his own.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

First off, your comparison of Capela is against the most elite bigs in the game today.   Before you bark on Lopez, remember he was a franchise player before he took his skills to Milwaukee.   But back to Capela.... The goalpost are very high here.  So let me ask you... Who would you pick up that could have had the impact that you wanted in our system vs. those guys?

As far as the guys I suggested... The conversation is Spot duty...  A solid 16-20 mpg.    Bill Cartwright couldn't defend everybody.. so they went out and got  Perdue and Scott Williams to back him up.   Later it was Longley and Wennington.  Those guys played Shaq, Smits, and Ewing.   It was not that either of them would stop Shaq, Smits, and Ewing, but they offered enough defense in the team setting to help immobilize everybody else. 

That's what I'm saying about Capela.   Back him up with a big big and make these guys work for points.  Capela will still play but to think that anybody is going to be able to neutralize Embiid is that Video Game talk. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JTB said:

I couldn’t help but to make this thread after learning how many of our fans went from Capela being untouchable to potentially trading him this off season if it were up to them for so many.

It’s not just the squawk but every where there’s hawks media when discussing how they should improve. So here’s my thoughts…..

First off I thought this deserved its own thread because Capela did so much for us this season so this is in a way is a little disrespectful for those of you who wouldn’t mind moving on from him but hey I understand some things just surprised you all aren’t being a little more considerate being that Capela played  against legitimately bigger Centers but with that said I recall telling everyone including on these boards that BIGs are going to be very important when it comes to winning championships with the 76ers, Bucks, Lakers having a huge sizable mismatch while everyone else is playing small ball and here we are another huge front court team is in the finals. Last season Lakers now Bucks.

most of you remember how and why I wanted Drummond and some of you mocked me but I knew we’d run into this problem at some point! Glad it happened in Traes first playoffs and not his 4th.

let’s talk about that though….Capela vs Drummond 

Capela 

First off unlike many of you I’m not vouching to trade Capela however I am vouching that we add some big man help at center . Preferably someone with legitimate 7 foot size. But let’s look at Capela….he’s the perfect modern day center next to a Bam type. No he’s not a scorer or playmaker but he can do everything else outside of scoring one on one. The rebounding is there, the hustle is there, blocks, defense, and most importantly he can play in space defensively.

Heres the issue with Capela….when the playoffs come about, the game gets slowed down a lot even in this era! This always happens and it’s not changing . Teams get back in the playoffs in effort to avoid allowing easy points.

You see over the regular season vs fast pace offenses you want the Capela type center because he’s just right! Small enough center wise to keep up with small ball lineups defensively and big enough center wise to dominate when teams use those small ball lineups……

BUT once the playoffs get here and you face teams that still use traditionally sized centers who are skilled in the half court ….Capela suddenly looks exposed! Mainly because now we are asking him to guard these big 80/90s typical size centers in the half court consistently.

Embiid is a handful for anyone, Lopez is a former all star and star player for his team who made his name in the post before he started shooting 3s, but even if the Bulls made the playoffs and we ran into them vs Vucevic , another legit 7 foot center it’s very possible Capela would have had his problems mainly due to the size he’s going up against.

I don’t really blame Capela honestly I feel if he were 7 foot we’d probably still be in the playoffs and bucks wouldn’t have gotten so many easy points out of Lopez and even Giannis .

Drummond 

Now on to Drummond….you all remember I was the main one on the squawk looking for Drummond to come to the A but we got Capela instead who’s better for this era of basketball normally with few exceptions. Drummond would get destroyed in this era similar to how Trae did Lopez this playoffs.

Most of these centers who has the typical old school center size do not come out on picks and they also do not play well in space like the lighter centers Capela, Bam, Okungwu type.

In the regular season you don’t want Drummond over Capela. BUT in the playoffs I believe it can argued that since the game slows down so much and depending on the matchup or team you’re playing Drummond would likely be a better playoff center than Capela vs teams like 76ers Embiid, Bucks Lopez….and any other team who uses typical size centers in their starting rotation.

Conclusion

Put some respect on Capelas name! He’s highly needed still and this playoff run we just happened to run into matchups that doesn’t favor the modern style of his play. At the end of the day if we played the Heat vs Bam or the Celtics who typically always use a modern size center, Capela would have been more than just fine….but we ran into the BIG front lines of Philly and the bucks. Even though we beat Philly it still showed there’s a problem and more size is needed vs these teams who still know how to punch you in the mouth in the paint .

The truth is I wasn’t right about Drummond and I wasn’t wrong about him either . We need depth at Center for matchup purposes. We don’t need to get rid of Capela or Okungwu….we need our own Big Hog for these defensive reasons. Someone who could potentially start if need be just so we aren’t outmuscled! That’s what we need folks. Capela is a really good center that should stay around for a very long time . Don’t sleep on what we have .

🏾

To be clear:  I'm not "vouching" to trade Capela either. I'm simply saying I'd consider it.  And I'm saying I don't think he's off limits any more. There's a difference between that and actively trying to trade him.  I DON'T think Travis should be shopping Capela, but I'd be ok with it if he was included in a deal for a player that makes us better in the playoffs. And again, there's a difference between shopping and simply being available for inclusion in a trade. 

I agree 100% with your synopsis of Capela as a player.  I like him a lot and think he adds a lot of value to the team.  I'm just saying that coming into the playoffs, I thought he was a vital piece of any championship team because of his work on the glass and rim protection. and limited, but valuable offensive production as a roll man. 

However, what the last 6 weeks has shown me is that in the playoffs he gets overpowered on defense against larger bigs, he gets lost too much on the boards as other teams are collectively crashing and he's no longer just fighting centers but also guys like Pat Connaughton and PJ Tucker, and offensively, he just doesn't have any attribute that translates consistently to the playoffs where - as you pointed out - games are played predominantly in the half-court.   

So I've just downgraded him in my mind from an invaluable piece on a playoff run to a guy that is probably close to invaluable in the regular season to get to the playoffs, but once there, is more of a matchup guy that may or may not have a role.  

In light of the above (and in consideration of OO who I think can replicate what Capela provides in the regular season), I'm just saying I'd be ok with Travis considering including him in a trade if it improves the team in the playoffs and balances the team out more.  And no, I don't have a potential trade to offer.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That is exactly who he is, a shot blocking center, that can switch on the perimter in some instances, he's not a 'body' defender.  He doesn't have the footwork to do that as @Peoriabird pointed out previously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That is exactly who he is, a shot blocking center, that can switch on the perimter in some instances, he's not a 'body' defender.  He doesn't have the footwork to do that as @Peoriabird pointed out previously.

Right. But in the playoffs, his shot blocking is more matchup driven.  He had 11 blocks in 5 games vs the out-matched (and smaller) Knicks and 8 blocks in the 13 combined games vs the larger Sixers and Bucks.  He also avg fewer overall rebounds vs the Bucks and Sixers than the Knicks (which was directly attributable to fewer DEFENSIVE rebounds as both the Sixers and Bucks held the offensive rebounds advantage).  For a guy that struggle to finish around the rim unless its on a lob, that's a bad combination.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thecampster said:

I am really interested to see if a full offseason with Bruno will make any difference or if he's already out the door. He was a wasted talent and I'm not sure who to blame.

Talent for the NBA game not there. Not sure if it was wasted.

Some numbers to illustrate the match up issues with Clint:

Vs Knicks:                10 pts on 66.7% TS% / 13.4 reb (10.4 def and 3.0 off) / 2.0 blocks

Vs Sixers/Bucks:      10 pts on 56.8% TS% / 10.3 reb (6.8 def / 3.5 off) / 0.6 blocks

Points stayed the same but efficiency drops vs the bigger teams. Rebounding - specifically defensive rebounding - dropped vs the bigger teams as did his blocks.