• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Timeline

FL_BRYANT

What is the HAWKS timeline to  compete/ win a championship. Is the roster set to go all the way or do we need another Allstar or two . Is the current roster as is set to win.  Are we going to go the 2/3 allstar superstar theory and make a trade or are we going depth and hoping a couple of our many pieces will develop into Allstar level players. John Collins in particular. 

• Like 2

My mind tells me we'll need to consolidate two of our wings for a bigger star (talented, of course) in order to win this year or next.  I don't know which star, or which position that upgrade should be.

My heart tells me to let this group give it a good go for a couple more years and prove the theory of "You need two or three stars to win" as something that can be replaced with depth and chemistry (talented, of course).

I will never honestly believe a major ATL sports team will win another championship, we only have one with the Braves and 2 if you count MLS.

I like this team and they are fun to watch and don't seem like typical ATL chokers but with that said I'll be surprised if they win a title.

1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

What is the HAWKS timeline to  compete/ win a championship. Is the roster set to go all the way or do we need another Allstar or two . Is the current roster as is set to win.  Are we going to go the 2/3 allstar superstar theory and make a trade or are we going depth and hoping a couple of our many pieces will develop into Allstar level players. John Collins in particular. 

I've said we may be looking at a dynasty after last offseason and this offseason has done nothing to change that. 

This year in particular I can see us possibly coming up short to the Lakers (because of so many hungry vets). Plus LeBrons realistically last chance(s). At the same time I can see us surpassing the Lakers and winning it all and definitely be in the dynasty talks with fans and media alike anxious to see what we do next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The only glaring weakness of this team is a legit Robin to Trae’s Batman. Honestly what got Milwaukee to the finals is Middleton, the most streaky but underrated star in the game. The Bucks have the Greek freak but they also have a Robin who can drop 30 plus on anyone any given night and average 20 points per game on a good to great team. 
Good news you’ve got four guys who can possibly become that in Heurter Dre Cam and JC. It wouldn’t surprise me for any of these guys to level up next season. And possibly explode and become that true 2nd option. 
Also you’ve got the talent to swing big trade and get possibly a Buddy Hield to try and be that guy, a Gallo for Hield trade works on the trade machine straight up, as Sac would shed future salary and the Hawks would get whatever I don’t see this happing though trade is a possibility   I think you play it out with this group one more year and hope one of these guys blossoms into a legit second All Star.

Edited by timebomb

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all think offense way too much for my taste.  The thing that makes a band great is the chemistry that is form with each member which appears to be forming with this current group.  As much as y'all complain that we don't have a Bradley Beal or Dame Lillard as a robin to Trae, all of those guys have one thing in common which is they had gone fishing long before this rag tag Hawks team did this year.  I am willing to wait and see what these young players become before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

First I definitely think of to much of offense. I would definitely not taken OO last year I would’ve taken Haliburton Hayes or Toppin over him. And he proved me wrong and blew me away in the last quarter of the season and playoffs. The year before that I was calling for Herro over Cam. I’m extremely happy Travis is our GM and not me. Because I think our Robin which we do need will be homegrown. There’s no reason JC can’t be get more touches in the paint and expand his mid range game. I can easily see Heurter becoming more confident in his floaters 3’s playmaking and drives, Cam can be an elite defender if he can stay on the floor by being a more consistent 3 points shooter and a f’ing star if he can be confident and aggressive at the offensive end, and of course Dre can already score at all three levels and IMO is going to be our second best player as long as he stays healthy. 
I’m excited we kept this group together and I wouldn’t try and trade for someone else’s “star” at this point but we are all excited because we’ve got young guys with potential and a fantastic group of veterans surrounding them. But it’s the potential I think we’re all excited for most. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, timebomb said:

Also you’ve got the talent to swing big trade and get possibly a Buddy Hield to try and be that guy, a Gallo for Hield trade works on the trade machine straight up, 

Uuh....pass

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Why would we downgrade? 

:good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Dejay said:

This team was injured and made a run to the effin EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS. Name another young team in recent memory with the assortment of injuries they had who managed to pull that off as a 5th seed. I'll wait. 

Just because we saw Chicago and the cHeat bring in vets doesn't mean that the Hawks should be trading for stars in reaction to that. At full strength and with the intense playoff experience they already have that neither Beal, Hield, or even Dame has ever faced, they're going to be hungry to get that feeling of playing in the ECFs again. 

And I believe that they will. Next season. So other teams in the East added players. Big effin deal. Bring it...

A team that this sort of reminds me of is that 2018 Boston Celtics team. They had key injuries to guys like Kyrie Irving and Gordon Hayward, and they were able to push LeBron's Cavs to 7 games in the ECF despite of it. The following years after that were met with disappointment, and the closest they've been since is when they made the ECF in the bubble.

It's a harrowing case study, and it isn't exactly similar to what we have going on, but we have to learn from the mistakes that they made and make sure we don't do the same. The young guys on their team (Tatum, Brown, and Rozier) didn't like having to decrease their roles on the team to accommodate guys like Irving and Gordon coming back from injury. This caused a lot of chemistry issues with the team and a lot of friction in the locker room. They also lacked a true leader on that team, who everyone respected and listened to, and it also didn't help that they had a coach who didn't clearly define the roles on the team early on in the season.

That's why I like that our young core has basically built strong chemistry over the last couple of years since they all practically came into the league at the same time. Everyone knows their role, and there aren't issues because of it. That's really rare, especially for a young team full of guys trying to establish themselves in the league.

Let's just hope that this continues on into next year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, timebomb said:

The only glaring weakness of this team is a legit Robin to Trae’s Batman. Honestly what got Milwaukee to the finals is Middleton, the most streaky but underrated star in the game. The Bucks have the Greek freak but they also have a Robin who can drop 30 plus on anyone any given night and average 20 points per game on a good to great team. 
Good news you’ve got four guys who can possibly become that in Heurter Dre Cam and JC. It wouldn’t surprise me for any of these guys to level up next season. And possibly explode and become that true 2nd option. 
Also you’ve got the talent to swing big trade and get possibly a Buddy Hield to try and be that guy, a Gallo for Hield trade works on the trade machine straight up, as Sac would shed future salary and the Hawks would get whatever I don’t see this happing though trade is a possibility   I think you play it out with this group one more year and hope one of these guys blossoms into a legit second All Star.

I’ve thought about this Robin question a bit.  There are 4-5 guys on the team who people think is Robin, or going to eventually become Robin.  Sometimes I think 30% of the board believes Cam is gonna be Robin.  No clear answer, but I’m not sure it’s a weakness.  It’s definitely a big question.  
The other less obvious question is if Trae is a strong enough Batman that his presence alone makes us contenders.  Does he need a top 15 or even top 30 player with him to get a ring?  If we are contenders now, we are doing it without two top 30 players.  How big a boy is Trae?  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Given about 2 minutes of pondering.... I've got...

Superman = Trae

Batman = JC

Captain America = Kvon

Thor = BogBog

Black Panther = Dre

The Flash = Cam

Iron Man = Gallo

Spider-Man = CC

Plasticman = OO

Robin? Robin wasn't part of the Justice League, as far as I was ever aware, so we'll set him aside.

Wonder Woman? I've made my case for a mixed sexes tournament between the cities who have both NBA and WNBA franchises, but until that happens, will set her aside as well.

• Like 1