• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Early Season thoughts

NBASupes

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Trae is playing like shit. His Dallas game was fine, he didn't have it going but his playmaking was great. Cleveland was bad all around. On offense and defense. He is playing like he's watching Ja and others. He just needs to focus on avg 20/15 and leading us to wins and he will be All NBA. 

Nate been fine, his gameplan has us in the top 5 of total defense but bottom 10 of offense and PACE. We will pick it up on that end when Trae starts to get his mind right. Our defense should be top 5 all year. Offensively, I am hoping for top 10. Likely top 13-15. 

Cam is terrible in open court and transition offense but he's pretty good in the half court when he's set and healthy. He has the potential to be a generational half court player. 

JC is our most versatile scheme fit, he's good at everything on both ends. 

Great post Supes. 

I think Trae just needs to get his rhythm.  Don't really think he's focusing on Ja or anything like that. Ja came out blazing last season too until he hurt his ankle. 

I think once the Hawks get rolling they'll be a top 8 offensive team and I"m hoping for a top 10 defense. If Dre, Cam, Collins, and Capela stay healthy throughout the season, I see potential for top 5 defense.

To me, Cam is much better in the open court and transition than half court.  He was too sped up in the half court in previous years.  When he was running and not thinking he was fine.  Other than the fumbling and bumbling every now and again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Great post Supes. 

I think Trae just needs to get his rhythm.  Don't really think he's focusing on Ja or anything like that. Ja came out blazing last season too until he hurt his ankle. 

I think once the Hawks get rolling they'll be a top 8 offensive team and I"m hoping for a top 10 defense. If Dre, Cam, Collins, and Capela stay healthy throughout the season, I see potential for top 5 defense.

To me, Cam is much better in the open court and transition than half court.  He was too sped up in the half court in previous years.  When he was running and not thinking he was fine.  Other than the fumbling and bumbling every now and again. 

Thanks! With Cam, he's great if he gets a steal and he finishes and that transition play where Trae passed it to him and he dunked it was amazing but overall, it's really bad when Cam is in transition. Remember that charge on Bane or the charge on Tucker in the preseason they drew v. Cam off a 1v1 in transition. He generally does all of his damage v. set defenses. Cam is turnover prone in general. Regardless if he's in the half court, transition, or the open court. 

• Like 2

I agree with almost every point Supes.

• Trae is pressing, probably trying to show the world that he isn't a fluke and can score without the foul baiting. He will settle down.
  • Bogi and Dre need to look at how GS used Klay and KD together. (Not saying Dre is KD level) but I see us functioning best with a clear offensive function for Bogi (sharpshooter from crazy offball screens) and Dre operating as the second ball handler. Bogi shouldn't be dribbling more than 3 times before shooting or passing.
  • JC is the second option on the team and I feel like Nate has realized it. I like seeing JC get more touches
  • Cam is going to win 6th man of the year if he keeps averaging 20PPG
  • Delon has been steady, I don't worry about the offensive flow with him in and that is an improvement on the backup PG spot
  • Dieng has been a gem as you said. His defense is a lot better than I gave him credit for.
  • I understand Solo has blackmail on Nate, but I would really prefer to see JJ getting those minutes. I doubt we lose much production if any
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

I agree with almost every point Supes.

• Trae is pressing, probably trying to show the world that he isn't a fluke and can score without the foul baiting. He will settle down.
  • Bogi and Dre need to look at how GS used Klay and KD together. (Not saying Dre is KD level) but I see us functioning best with a clear offensive function for Bogi (sharpshooter from crazy offball screens) and Dre operating as the second ball handler. Bogi shouldn't be dribbling more than 3 times before shooting or passing.
  • JC is the second option on the team and I feel like Nate has realized it. I like seeing JC get more touches
  • Cam is going to win 6th man of the year if he keeps averaging 20PPG
  • Delon has been steady, I don't worry about the offensive flow with him in and that is an improvement on the backup PG spot
  • Dieng has been a gem as you said. His defense is a lot better than I gave him credit for.
  • I understand Solo has blackmail on Nate, but I would really prefer to see JJ getting those minutes. I doubt we lose much production if any

The JJ part is the only one I take exception to. Solo does the little things, I really haven't seen JJ do the little things ever. He will get there but he's not there yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The JJ part is the only one I take exception to. Solo does the little things, I really haven't seen JJ do the little things ever. He will get there but he's not there yet. 

Understandable. I'm just of the opinion that Solo shouldn't be our main PF backup. When is Gallo coming back again?

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Cam has 6th man of the year potential and MIP potential.  If he settles down and understands every time he touches the ball WILL NOT be the last time he touches the rock, he can do great things.  He's just very excitable right now.  He also needs to get better playing team defense and know when to gamble in the passing lanes or trying to poke a steal.  Dre is miles ahead of him there even though Cam has more talent imo

• Like 4

I think we are fine and just need to iron out some minor things. Our depth is really awesome this year and it just may take a little bit for the different unit's to gel. This team has 2 different starting quality lineups.

I'm confident Nate will iron out our issues

I’m also puzzled as to why Wright ain’t getting more run.  +30 now.  14 minutes should easily be 18; you help preserve Trae’s shaky durability while not losing much if anything in point differential. 

Transition both ways during the regular season will always be a grind with Trae’s size and explosiveness, or lack therof.  That’s why he busted out in the playoffs with much less open floor play.

The offense isn’t the prettiest with a 28th ranked pace.  But I have nothing to complain about when we’re Top 10 in 5 of the 8 4-factors, fueled by Trae’s 3:1 assist to turn, elite rebounding from Cap and Johnny Bap, and Dre’s low-fouling on-ball defense on #1 options.  If we still have a Top 5 defense 20 games in I’ll be ecstatic out this bit.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

This team looks like the one that ended the season. Little chemistry in the 1st unit. Hunter still don't know his role on offense. The PnR has been hit or miss. Too many open misses. Not finishing bunnies. Clint bricked a wide open layup. Winning just because we outrebounded the opponent and Trae is Trae.

I will say the 2nd unit is a revelation. Offensively, they aren't that good, which is why Cam has the green light outside of last night which is good because we need Cam to develop.

Defensively, its night and day. Our 2nd is the best defensive unit in the NBA and no one is coming close. Dieng who was one of the best backup defensive bigs is having another elite year defensively in the 2nd unit. Cam is tremendous defensively. Delon as well. Kevin is good enough and Gallo and Solo both have had good defensive runs while struggling to move some due to their age. 

While our starting lineup has still been pretty good, it's not top 5 good, yet. Our bench as well as Washington have been elite. Washington is a bottom 5 starting five paired with an elite bench. This will be fun. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This team looks like the one that ended the season. Little chemistry in the 1st unit. Hunter still don't know his role on offense. The PnR has been hit or miss. Too many open misses. Not finishing bunnies. Clint bricked a wide open layup. Winning just because we outrebounded the opponent and Trae is Trae.

I will say the 2nd unit is a revelation. Offensively, they aren't that good, which is why Cam has the green light outside of last night which is good because we need Cam to develop.

Defensively, its night and day. Our 2nd is the best defensive unit in the NBA and no one is coming close. Dieng who was one of the best backup defensive bigs is having another elite year defensively in the 2nd unit. Cam is tremendous defensively. Delon as well. Kevin is good enough and Gallo and Solo both have had good defensive runs while struggling to move some due to their age. 

While our starting lineup has still been pretty good, it's not top 5 good, yet. Our bench as well as Washington have been elite. Washington is a bottom 5 starting five paired with an elite bench. This will be fun. 

Wiz are much improved with Dinwiddie instead of Westbrook..

The former Lakers are playing well too..Trez feasted vs Boston last night...