• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If expansion came, which players should we protect?

Let's assume expansion comes as part of the new CBA, and would thus be effective for the 2024/25 season.  

Normally teams can protect eight players and only lose one.  I wonder who we would protect. 

Trae, Collins, Capela, and Huerter would still be under contract for that year, or more.  Jalen Johnson would have a team option for that year.

Hunter, Cam, and Okongwu would probably be under contract by then and currently seem to be logical choices to protect, assuming they develop as expected.

So, that's eight players right there.  We also would have added at least three more first round draft choices by then.

Things would get interesting, for sure.  

If if was based on today's roster then yes I would agree with your 8 that you listed. I figure we will have lost a couple of those names via trade by then though. 

But that is a solid list of 8 guys I would want us to keep today.

Trae, Kev, Cam, JC, Clint, Dre, Jalen, JC.

Hopefully Sharife is still around then too.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Bumping this since we're talking about expansion in the rumor thread. Can only protect 8...so who would you protect? This just got a lot more difficult after the draft and Murray trade -

1. Trae
  2. Murray
  3. Hunter
  4. OO
  5. Cap
  6. JC
  7. Huerter
  8. JJ
  9. AJ
  10. Bogi
  11. Coop

As of today that’s gotta be the 8. Although  will likely change with another forthcoming trade.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

eww otherwise. 

Yeah... I'm sure they don't make those decisions with much weight to emotion, but dang, I'd sure like to know the discussion that led up to that LV decision...

2022-07-01_23-12-14.png

• Premium Member

I'd propose that the new expansion teams' roster construction be re-imagined so as to not impact the current team's rosters, while even allowing those teams some quicker path to legitimacy.

No expansion draft at all.

Why do you need it???

They'll automatically have the most to spend in free agency from the git-go... right?

They also could be afforded the first two picks in the draft for the first, say 2-3 years of their existence.

That should be sufficient, imo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/2/2022 at 12:55 AM, sturt said:

They also could be afforded the first two picks in the draft for the first, say 2-3 years of their existence.

That could be disgusting.  Like here is how that plays out for 90-92 and I'm only doing the first two picks and not taking the two best players:

PG:  Gary Payton, Kenny Anderson

SF:  Larry Johnson

PF:  Derrick Coleman

C.: Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning

The next 3 years (93-95) if you are slightly more liberal and allow for taking other top guys to form a more cohesive 5:

PG: Jason Kidd

SG: Anfernee Hardaway

SF: Grant Hill

PF: Kevin Garnett, Antonio McDyess

C.: Chris Webber

Same for the next 3 years (96-98):

PG: Chauncey Billups, Mike Bibby

SG: Ray Allen

SF: Vince Carter

PF: Marcus Camby

C.: Tim Duncan

Any team entering a rebuild would give away their starting lineup in a heartbeat to get that opportunity, imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

That could be disgusting.  Like here is how that plays out for 90-92 and I'm only doing the first two picks and not taking the two best players:

The next 3 years (93-95) if you are slightly more liberal and allow for taking other top guys to form a more cohesive 5:

Any team entering a rebuild would give away their starting lineup in a heartbeat to get that opportunity, imo.

I’d really like an opportunity to assemble an expansion franchise in the NBA.

I’d go about it differently. I’d build a cultur……. 🤭 sorry I’m swept in all this bs culture talk of the Heat and scrubs.

No, I really would like to do it.

@AHF you’re tickling my dynasty 🦴 with these. Love me some old school.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Thanks, and I suppose you feel like that's too much. I don't think it's too little, but I also don't think it's too much.

Now what you might do, though, is give the expansion teams some choice to have to make that prevents them from dominating both free agency and the draft in their first years. Would have to think about what that would look like, but yeah, that much would seem valid.

Have to remember... it's to the league's benefit for these teams to have legitimate rosters as early as practical.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Thanks, and I suppose you feel like that's too much. I don't think it's too little, but I also don't think it's too much.

Now what you might do, though, is give the expansion teams some choice to have to make that prevents them from dominating both free agency and the draft in their first years. Would have to think about what that would look like, but yeah, that much would seem valid.

Have to remember... it's to the league's benefit for these teams to have legitimate rosters as early as practical.

I think that is not just too much but is wayyyy too much.  I have no problem with them dominating free agency but teams tank for years in the hopes that they will get 1 or 2 shots at a pick that high.  Giving an expansion team 6 of them guaranteed is far too much.

The Atlanta Hawks have picked #1 or #2 exactly 1 time in the past 40 years.  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • Premium Member

Time to play the annual.....'Which 8 players do you protect'

Guaranteed Contracts:
1. Trae
2. DJ
3. Dre
4. JC
5. CC
6. Bogi
7. OO
8. JJ
9. Bey
10. AJ

Unguaranteed Contracts:
11.  Vit
12. Bruno
13. Tyrese
14. Garrison

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Time to play the annual.....'Which 8 players do you protect'

Guaranteed Contracts:
1. Trae
2. DJ
3. Dre
4. JC
5. CC
6. Bogi
7. OO
8. JJ
9. Bey
10. AJ

Unguaranteed Contracts:
11.  Vit
12. Bruno
13. Tyrese
14. Garrison

I want all 10.. dang.

27 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I don’t want to leave anyone from our 10 … maybe John to get out of contract although I would look to make a trade before hand of a few guys to consolidate 

Ya I got CC and JC being expendable as the moving parts in a trade.