• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk could have had these games postponed

JTB

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Although I agree folks are being too hard on him, we gotta face fax.  Nice guys finish last and they lose their high-end players along the way.

It's not good enough to 'just' be good at the job.  Schlenk is good at the job but he's gonna have to be cut-throat even when it comes to his former mates in San Francisco.  One of the issues the Ferry/Budenz group had was they bent over for SAS more than once, to the Hawks' detriment.

That's NBA reality, marco.  I don't like it but IIWII.

Just saying he hasn't bent over for anyone that I know of. This is just fans overreacting because they aren't understanding the rules. I'm not sure who puts who on the injury report, but I've never seen shortness of breath listed. 

We also aren't privy to what he is doing behind the scenes.

Also, once we get back to winning and having another deep run in the playoffs our gm will have more clout with the league.

That is just the politics of the NBA.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Y'all are really being over the top about Schlenk in this thread. 

I like a GM that is going to play by the rules. You have no idea how that will reward us in the future. Just because Miami has a scuzz bucket as a GM doesn't mean we should be like them.

If you're not scuzzin' you're not trying.

What Bill Belichick had to say about facing Tom Brady

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, AHF said:

We should be reporting injuries like other teams to postpone games.  Just saw Cap has been having respiratory issues.  Hold him out, etc.  Every player has something that could use rest.

Yeah, the premise of this thread is wrong, but I would have given Schlenk props for finding a way to work the injury report to get at least the last game postponed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

You're probably right but the fact remains we have more Covid players than any team in the league, essentially the whole team.   We've signed way more replacements than any team in the league (largest roster in history) and yet we've had zero postponements.   We've now played 3 games in a row where the vast majority of minutes are from players who aren't really on the team.  

Folks keep saying that all teams are dealing with this but when one team is so far and away affected more than others then some action needs to happen.  We've seen that negative publicity is really the main thing that moves the league to act.  

It is just the rules were different when other teams were going through the outbreaks. It is unfortunate for us that we had ours a little later and it came with a more contagious strain of covid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

It is just the rules were different when other teams were going through the outbreaks. It is unfortunate for us that we had ours a little later and it came with a more contagious strain of covid.

As I said, you're not wrong that folks are being too hard on Schlenk.  But I want you to keep this same energy as teams, under the new rules, get their games postponed while we're runnin' non-NBAers out at an alarming rate.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Just saying he hasn't bent over for anyone that I know of. This is just fans overreacting because they aren't understanding the rules. I'm not sure who puts who on the injury report, but I've never seen shortness of breath listed. 

Clint could have been out of protocols but held out to 'ramp up' to return. Same with Trae, especially since the team has not been able to have a real practice.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

The whole point is that it's a joke we're rolling out a bunch of guys to play games that aren't really on our team.   Who cares what the rules are.  They are changing the rules daily.  We need to be shaping that change not just sitting back and taking lumps.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

As I said, you're not wrong that folks are being too hard on Schlenk.  But I want you to keep this same energy as teams, under the new rules, get their games postponed while we're runnin' non-NBAers out at an alarming rate.

I addressed that in my earlier posts. They are getting postponed due to players being injured for non covid reasons. They have to get an injury exception for those players. I was upset about it too until I researched it a little more. Those rules didn't change.

Also Miami tried to get one of those and the league denied it and postponed their game. Again goes back to Adam Silver.

Edited by marco102

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The whole point is that it's a joke we're rolling out a bunch of guys to play games that aren't really on our team.   Who cares what the rules are.  They are changing the rules daily.  We need to be shaping that change not just sitting back and taking lumps.

Blame Adam Silver. Don't come on here saying our GM is going to cause I star player to leave because he is bound by these new rules.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Clint could have been out of protocols but held out to 'ramp up' to return. Same with Trae, especially since the team has not been able to have a real practice.

They would have still been on the active player list though once they exited protocols.  Right?

RJ Barrett was listed out for ramp up but was still on the Knicks bench fully dressed.

The box score had him dnp coaches decision.

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I addressed that in my earlier posts. They are getting postponed due to players being injured for non covid reasons. They have to get an injury exception for those players. I was upset about it too until I researched it a little more. Those rules didn't change.

Also Miami tried to get one of those and the league denied it and postponed their game. Again goes back to Adam Silver.

Wait, let me clarify my position.

I think you're right and it's factually accurate to say these teams are getting their games postponed due to "other" injuries.  I'm just suggesting these are bogus and they're actually gaming the system.  Is it ultimately on Sliver, yes.  But those teams' GM's are, IMHO, doing things to skirt the system and keep their w/l record from suffering.

No, we don't know that this will rub current players the wrong way (ultimately making it easier for them to gaze longingly at other markets) - but it's not nothing

I think that's a fair assessment.

What's Schlenk's role in all this?  He's clearly playing by the rules, which is all he should be asked to do.  Unfortunately, as in many things in life, he's up against folks who IMHO are operating outside the rules and are getting ahead of him because of it.

My hope is karma screws all these rule-breakers.

Long story long, folks are being too hard on Schlenk but it's fair to question why he's not manipulating things to get our games postponed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Wait, let me clarify my position.

I think you're right and it's factually accurate to say these teams are getting their games postponed due to "other" injuries.  I'm just suggesting these are bogus and they're actually gaming the system.  Is it ultimately on Sliver, yes.  But those teams' GM's are, IMHO, doing things to skirt the system and keep their w/l record from suffering.

No, we don't know that this will rub current players the wrong way (ultimately making it easier for them to gaze longingly at other markets) - but it's not nothing

I think that's a fair assessment.

What's Schlenk's role in all this?  He's clearly playing by the rules, which is all he should be asked to do.  Unfortunately, as in many things in life, he's up against folks who IMHO are operating outside the rules and are getting ahead of him because of it.

My hope is karma screws all these rule-breakers.

Long story long, folks are being too hard on Schlenk but it's fair to question why he's not manipulating things to get our games postponed.

Miami and Denver are the teams with the most non covid injuries. Again they can't sign a 10 day contract for those people.

We have so many out with covid it is not apples to apples. Because we have like 12 guys out with covid we are required to have 9 10 day contracts. You can't manipulate the rules around that. Either way we will have 8 players. He can't game the system.

Edit: I should acknowledge I understand where you are coming from 100% and you have valid points.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

They would have still been on the active player list though once they exited protocols.  Right?

RJ Barrett was listed out for ramp up but was still on the Knicks bench fully dressed.

The box score had him dnp coaches decision.

Maan......I don't know.  I'm confused and really FUSTRATED by it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Miami and Denver are the teams with the most non covid injuries. Again they can't sign a 10 day contract for those people.

We have so many out with covid it is not apples to apples. Because we have like 12 guys out with covid we are required to have 9 10 day contracts. You can't manipulate the rules around that. Wither way we will have 8 players. He can't game the system.

I guess the bolded wording below is what might be at issue for some folks? The 4 or more part....maybe @JTBis saying we should have just stopped at just 3 replacement players??? I don't think that interpretation is correct.

"Now, teams will be allowed to sign one replacement player for every player under contract that tests positive for COVID-19. The league will require teams to sign at least one player once two have tested positive. When a team has three players test positive, they will have to sign at least two players, and when they have four or more positive tests, they must sign at least three replacement players, according to Charania, though if a team is capable of putting 13 healthy players on the floor, there will reportedly be no requirements..."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess the bolded wording below is what might be at issue for some folks? The 4 or more part....maybe @JTBis saying we should have just stopped at just 3 replacement players??? I don't think that interpretation is correct.

"Now, teams will be allowed to sign one replacement player for every player under contract that tests positive for COVID-19. The league will require teams to sign at least one player once two have tested positive. When a team has three players test positive, they will have to sign at least two players, and when they have four or more positive tests, they must sign at least three replacement players, according to Charania, though if a team is capable of putting 13 healthy players on the floor, there will reportedly be no requirements..."

Yeah but because we had 12 players out doesn't that give us 9 minimum? So that's a moot point?

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Denver had 8 players on the injury report (non covid).  4 are long term injuries and 4 were 'questionable' before the game.  Then 3 players tested positive.  Suddenly there was no 'question' whether those 4 players could play.   The team decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury to put them out there in a probable loss especially when they knew they could get postponed.   It's not rocket surgery.   

Austin Rivers - thumb sprain

Monte Morris - Knee soreness

Aaron Gordon - hamstring soreness

cancar (who?) - non covid illness

• Like 1