• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk could have had these games postponed

JTB

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Denver had 8 players on the injury report (non covid).  4 are long term injuries and 4 were 'questionable' before the game.  Then 3 players tested positive.  Suddenly there was no 'question' whether those 4 players could play.   The team decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury to put them out there in a probable loss especially when they knew they could get postponed.   It's not rocket surgery.   

Austin Rivers - thumb sprain

Monte Morris - Knee soreness

Aaron Gordon - hamstring soreness

cancar (who?) - non covid illness

And when you are on the edges like that you can manipulate the rules.

All our players had covid so at the least Travis would have had 9 g league players out there.

• Moderators
Just now, marco102 said:

And when you are on the edges like that you can manipulate the rules.

All our players had covid so at the least Travis would have had 9 g league players out there.

I mean that's a great point and one i would like for us to test.   Is the league going to let a game go through where we are ONLY fielding 10 day guys?    That's what i think we should see.  This is the kind of thing we should be doing imo.   Trae i'm sure has some knee soreness.   Clint is not feeling great.  Cam probably has some hamstring soreness.

I think a team going out without a single 'real' player could cause a re-evaluation because these are just exhibition games.  except they count in the loss and win columns. 

Just now, macdaddy said:

I mean that's a great point and one i would like for us to test.   Is the league going to let a game go through where we are ONLY fielding 10 day guys?    That's what i think we should see.  This is the kind of thing we should be doing imo.   Trae i'm sure has some knee soreness.   Clint is not feeling great.  Cam probably has some hamstring soreness.

I think a team going out without a single 'real' player could cause a re-evaluation because these are just exhibition games.  except they count in the loss and win columns. 

By the new rules that is the point. You can sign 3 10 day  players for every 4 players with covid. If you have 13 players out, you will have 9 10 day players to play the game.

7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Denver had 8 players on the injury report (non covid).  4 are long term injuries and 4 were 'questionable' before the game.  Then 3 players tested positive.  Suddenly there was no 'question' whether those 4 players could play.   The team decided it wasn't worth the risk of injury to put them out there in a probable loss especially when they knew they could get postponed.   It's not rocket surgery.   

Austin Rivers - thumb sprain

Monte Morris - Knee soreness

Aaron Gordon - hamstring soreness

cancar (who?) - non covid illness

Yeah.  If they were facing a forfeit, them dudes would've played.

That's a clear illustration of what my beef is.  Agree with @marco102 that this is more a Sliver problem than a Schlenk one.  The league shouldn't be putting teams in the position of having to lie/cheat to do the thing that makes sense.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

That's a clear illustration of what my beef is.  Agree with @marco102 that this is more a Sliver problem than a Schlenk one.  The league shouldn't be putting teams in the position of having to lie/cheat to do the thing that makes sense.

I think we're all basically saying the same thing.  My issue is that the only thing Silver responds to in negative publicity.  And we should be putting that pressure on.   Everyone agrees this is bs right?

• Like 3

Just now, kg01 said:

At this point we are screwed, by this rule change. Teams with multiple non covid injuries can game the system. They need to look into that shit or just say during this covid period you are required to sign 10 day players for questionable players on your injury report to have the required 8 players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we're all basically saying the same thing.  My issue is that the only thing Silver responds to in negative publicity.  And we should be putting that pressure on.   Everyone agrees this is bs right?

Yes! I'm just pointing out there isn't much Travis can do. We only have two players on the noncovid injury report. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess the bolded wording below is what might be at issue for some folks? The 4 or more part....maybe @JTBis saying we should have just stopped at just 3 replacement players??? I don't think that interpretation is correct.

"Now, teams will be allowed to sign one replacement player for every player under contract that tests positive for COVID-19. The league will require teams to sign at least one player once two have tested positive. When a team has three players test positive, they will have to sign at least two players, and when they have four or more positive tests, they must sign at least three replacement players, according to Charania, though if a team is capable of putting 13 healthy players on the floor, there will reportedly be no requirements..."

I haven’t been able to respond but yea that’s exactly what I’m saying @JayBirdHawk:…unless I’m not understanding the rules right , schlenk could have signed the 3 players as he’s suppose to (not breaking the rules) then that would have given us only 7 players total who could play which then we can have games postponed but still not break the rules!….IF I’m understanding it correctly but I just don’t understand how we have more COVID players than all the other teams in the nba and the most 10 day contract players yet teams with less are getting games postponed.

we can blame silver sure but im going to blame schlenk for not taking advantage and thinking through this and being the smart gm he is. Like him or not schlenk sucked in dealing with this.

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

I haven’t been able to respond but yea that’s exactly what I’m saying @JayBirdHawk:…unless I’m not understanding the rules right , schlenk could have signed the 3 players as he’s suppose to (not breaking the rules) then that would have given us only 7 players total who could play which then we can have games postponed but still not break the rules!….IF I’m understanding it correctly but I just don’t understand how we have more COVID players than all the other teams in the nba and the most 10 day contract players yet teams with less are getting games postponed.

we can blame silver sure but im going to blame schlenk for not taking advantage and thinking through this and being the smart gm he is. Like him or not schlenk sucked in dealing with this.

The bad part was the Hawks players tested positive really fast.  So for each 4 players that tested positively you are required to sign 3.  So once you get to 8 players on the protocols, you have to sign 6.  When the Hawks had 12 players they were required to sign 9. 

There was nothing Schlenk could do because we had other healthy bodies with NO other injuries.

Edited by marco102

10 hours ago, marco102 said:

By the new rules that is the point. You can sign 3 10 day  players for every 4 players with covid. If you have 13 players out, you will have 9 10 day players to play the game.

Are you sure that’s the rule? That’s not how I took it.

I took it as IF you only have 4 active players you are required to sign at least 3 players on 10 day contracts…that’s how the nba article I posted said it anyways.

if I’m wrong or read it wrong, cool no big deal but if that is the case and you are right that’s a horrible horrible rule from the nba! NEVER should there be any regular season game played with 9 or more exhibition guys….I can’t see the nba being that dumb to even allow it so it’s hard to believe knowing these guys haven’t practiced together or trainer together or anything. To force 8 or more exhibition players on a professional basketball team that can only carry a maximum of 14 or 15 is ridiculous. Again I can’t see the nba being that stupid knowing how easily COVID spreads and injuries that take place throughout the season.

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The bad part was the Hawks players tested positive really fast.  So for each 4 players that tested positively you are required to sign 3.  So once you get to 8 players on the protocols, you have to sign 6.  When the Hawks had 12 players they were required to sign 9. 

There was nothing Schlenk could do because we had other healthy bodies with NO other injuries.

Where are you getting this from? Just show me where it says this at??? Please add the link….

im not calling you a liar it’s just really hard to believe that’s the rule in place 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I took it as IF you only have 4 active players you are required to sign at least 3 players on 10 day contracts…that’s how the nba article I posted said it anyways.

if I’m wrong or read it wrong, cool no big deal but if that is the case and you are right that’s a horrible horrible rule from the nba! NEVER should there be any regular season game played with 9 or more exhibition guys….I can’t see the nba being that dumb to even allow it so it’s hard to believe knowing these guys haven’t practiced together or trainer together or anything. To force 8 or more exhibition players on a professional basketball team that can only carry a maximum of 14 or 15 is ridiculous. Again I can’t see the nba being that stupid knowing how easily COVID spreads and injuries that take place throughout the season.

Well that's what they are doing because they are trying not to delay games with these covid absences.  It's very unfortunate for us.  Luckily we'll be getting out guys back soon. 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

Where are you getting this from? Just show me where it says this at??? Please add the link….

im not calling you a liar it’s just really hard to believe that’s the rule in place 

That's the rule that's in place.  The article you are refering doesn't explain it very well.  I forgot the tweet I read it from, it may have been woj, but he was saying for every 4 players that test positive you have to sign 3 if you can't get to 8 players. 

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, JTB said:
11 hours ago, marco102 said:

if I’m wrong or read it wrong

This is not correct....you sign the 10Dayers for guys who have tested POSITIVE FOR COVID and will be out. If two guys are out with Covid you can sign 1 guy, if you have 3 guys out you can sign 2 etc.

Now, teams will be allowed to sign one replacement player for every player under contract that tests positive for COVID-19. The league will require teams to sign at least one player once two have tested positive. When a team has three players test positive, they will have to sign at least two players, and when they have four or more positive tests, they must sign at least three replacement players,

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-nbpa-agree-to-revised-rules-for-signing-replacement-players-amid-covid-19-outbreak-per-report/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

Once more, last game vs the Bulls was the only time we've been at 4 players. You keep saying games plural, but that has been the only one. We'll be in that boat again if Cam is out and no one else comes back, but we have a few guys that will be eligible to return.

Two, that would have required Schlenk to anticipate us dropping down to 4 and deciding to stick with the first 3 10-day guys he signed instead of searching for contributors. I think Chaundee Brown was like the 5th or 6th guy we signed and he was huge tonight. 

Three, you're assuming the league would allow us to just sit at 7 players which, again, I really, really don't think they would. Canceling and rescheduling games is a nightmare. 

Four, from what I understand, other teams have gotten their games postponed because they had more guys out with actual injuries (meaning no 10-day replacement players for them) and they were falling under the 8-player mark on game day when there wasn't enough time to work something out. Now maybe there is some gamesmanship there, but it's still a different situation than what we've faced. 

• Like 1

All blame-shifting aside, what’s the end game of having 5+ of our games postponed?  5+ extra back-to-backs when it comes time for the playoff run?  
As painful as this is to watch, I’d rather get through it now rather than put it off just for us to get way gassed down the stretch leading up to the postseason.

Picking up the win tonight was huge.  If we can get through this stretch without dropping more than 4 under .500, we should be alright.

The only solution that would have been remotely “fair” to everyone would have been for Silver to suspend the league, following the NHL’s lead.  But it appears even that decision was above his pay grade (TV contracts, CDC changes, etc), and wouldn’t have provided much clarity moving forward either.

Are Cam and Skylar are only two roster guys who have managed to avoid Covid?  (I guess we wouldn’t get updated about Hunter or Solo)

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, klharper said:

Picking up the win tonight was huge.  If we can get through this stretch without dropping more than 4 under .500, we should be alright.

Yes.  This win and the Sixers win was beyond huge.   Otherwise we are 14-21 and barely above the tankers of the conference.   A lot of credit should go to the players but especially to Nate.  And I've been critical of Travis with the whole situation but he went and found some guys who can play D and be competent.   

But we only feel ok with having played these games because we won 2 of them and we really had no business doing that.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Yes.  This win and the Sixers win was beyond huge.   Otherwise we are 14-21 and barely above the tankers of the conference.   A lot of credit should go to the players but especially to Nate.  And I've been critical of Travis with the whole situation but he went and found some guys who can play D and be competent.   

But we only feel ok with having played these games because we won 2 of them and we really had no business doing that.  

Nate post game presser indicated that Trae and Clint established the tone in practice the day prior and set the tone for the game last night Clint on defense, Trae on offense.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nate post game presser indicated that Trae and Clint established the tone in practice the day prior and set the tone for the game last night Clint on defense, Trae on offense.

Trae was particularly locked in on d (for him).  Maybe playing shorthanded will be good for him in that regard.  Once guys are back, I mean.  Knowing the level he shld always bring on d.

• Like 2