• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best possible offseason for all ready to make moves teams in the NBA

NBASupes

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

The thing is that adding a player like Lavine on a long term big money contract just makes it so you are married to the Trae - Lavine duo to get a championship. And it won't happen. Of course in a perfect world you want TWO max guys to build a perennial contender around, but signing a guy that isn't worth it to be the second max guy is how you blow it imo. I'd rather keep the flexibility than go all in on Lavine next year. Two solid wings that can defend and knock down threes will be more valueable to us than Lavine, and potentially cheaper. 

I agree with the roster flexibility point.  It def will hamper you.  Again, though, you go get talent when it's available or wants to come here. 

The only realistic trade I'd be open to is Ayton, probably would cost us Bogi/Kevin and Capela and a draft pick(s). 

It's hard seeing PHX giving him up, but if the owner doesn't want to pay the max, who knows what will happen. 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No, you're the one not listening. When any player is on 🔥.....every touch is lethal.

And it was more than just Bogi's shooting last season. He was able to initiate the offense and get his teammates involved WITH Trae.

No. With Bogi or Desmond Bane, yes. With others, no. They just got it going. There is a different feel when Bane and Bogi got it rolling. They can hit every type of shot. Its vicious. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Again, are you looking at before or after the knee injury? 

You can't just go look at stats without context.  

Hynderll brought up a good point that his knee injury may be chronic, so then yeah his defense may be terrible from here on out.

I'm just saying I personally saw him playing better defense in the Olympics and the beginng of the year before the knee injury hit.

We also know that defensive stats are all ass and should all be taken with a grain of salt.  Give me one super bad defender that's on a good defensive team and one super good defender that's on a super bad defensive team.

Those stats are all effected by team rankings.

Within his bad defensive team him and Coby White are the worst defensive players by a mile.

Raptor is a box-plus minus that attempts to isolate for the impact of other players in the lineups when looking at the box +-, so the overall team defense shouldn't have an impact on the individual Raptor of players. Fact is Lavine is consintely a very poorly rated defender not just this year but every single year of his career across two different teams. Caruso and Ball on the same Bulls team have FANTASTIC defensive Raptors and before they got hurt Bulls were top 10 in defensive rating. Once they got hurt they fell all the way to 22 in a matter of a couple of months. The reason the Bulls were in first had nothing to do with Lavine and everything to do with Caruso who was having the best defensive season for a guard in recent memory, and Ball who is also top 10 in his position in defense. Once they lost those guys the team fell off a cliff. 

29 minutes ago, JTB said:

Supes no one is trying to take the ball out of Traes hands it’s just finding another guy that can get his own when Trae is trapped!

id much rather have Ayton or Gobert over lavine but tell me this if we can’t upgrade Capela then what’s the plan ? Just stand pat ?…what if getting a better scoring wing is the only choice we have in the off season?

no one is playing 2k or disagreeing with you …I don’t see why you are so sure jazz is going to get rid of a 3 time DPOY! Just like when Soth said Ayton is going to be available possibly…I believe y’all sources no doubt but I just can’t see it really happening.

if a wing star is our real choice to upgrade the team you’re not doing it ?

Outside of Ben Simmons who makes erases my need for spending on a PF. I can sign any ole tweener. No. 

I can't think of a wing I would take. It's not a value position offensively for Trae style of play. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I agree with the roster flexibility point.  It def will hamper you.  Again, though, you go get talent when it's available or wants to come here. 

The only realistic trade I'd be open to is Ayton, probably would cost us Bogi/Kevin and Capela and a draft pick(s). 

It's hard seeing PHX giving him up, but if the owner doesn't want to pay the max, who knows what will happen. 

Ayton will cost Atlanta a lot of draft picks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Outside of Ben Simmons who makes erases my need for spending on a PF. I can sign any ole tweener. No. 

I can't think of a wing I would take. It's not a value position offensively for Trae style of play. 

I wanted Simmons here…too bad Morey screwed us.

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ayton will cost Atlanta a lot of draft picks. 

I would literally trade away a ton to pair Trae and Ayton! In my opinion everything except Trae of course is on the table for Ayton …that pairing would be well worth it. I would even go through one losing season with the two of them if I had to just so we can get this duo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JTB said:

I wanted Simmons here…too bad Morey screwed us.

I would literally trade away a ton to pair Trae and Ayton! In my opinion everything except Trae of course is on the table for Ayton …that pairing would be well worth it. I would even go through one losing season with the two of them if I had to just so we can get this duo.

Morey wanted Harden. He never waiver. I just wish he didn't play us. You never know, Capela and Hunter might be enough to get Brooklyn to do a Simmons deal.

Bad news, if Trae makes All NBA which we all want. His salary jumps to 6.6 mil plus. That means we are over the LT by 4.3 mil. Means no way we can SnT for Ayton since we are over the LT. That said, we can waive Gallo and that saves us 16.5 million. 

My guess is Atlanta will try to work out a trade for a lesser player to a team that can take on salary but its unlikely. This means Gallinari who we all want to keep is likely in his last year in Atlanta nor can he be used as a trade asset. 

• Like 1

My guess is Gallo is cut if Trae makes all NBA. Delon is resigned. Dieng is resigned as we need a 3rd string center if he chooses to stay. 

I found a deal, during the draft on the current calendar. We can trade Gallinari and a future 2nd rounder for Kenrich Williams (OKC).

I remember this happening a lot with Luke Ridour

@thecampster, just to be sure, you can trade Gallinari after the season during this calendar year till this his option date. Correct?

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, marco102 said:

IF it's draft pick's I'd be willing to do it.  The roster is already pretty full. 

My guess is that the trade would be something like:  Clint/OO/ and 2 first rounders for Ayton. 

We will have all of our Sfs/PF/SG still.  But we would now lack C depth.   I mean, we could get somebody like Hassan Whiteside for cheap. 

My fear is that we do all this maneuvering to get Ayton and he's a max player who doesn't make enough of a difference to get us into the finals.   We'd probably be very impressive in our win column (if he remains healthy) but we gotta play Giannis.   We gotta play Embiid.   What's going on with our wings?

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

My guess is Gallo is cut if Trae makes all NBA. Delon is resigned. Dieng is resigned as we need a 3rd string center if he chooses to stay. 

I found a deal, during the draft on the current calendar. We can trade Gallinari and a future 2nd rounder for Kenrich Williams (OKC).

@thecampster, just to be sure, you can trade Gallinari after the season during this calendar year till this his option date. Correct?

Clarifying that, lets speak in the context of NBA year and not calendar year. That phrase will confuse some. Once the finals end, there is a moratorium that once ended ends the accounting for the 2021-22 financial calendar year. From that timeframe ends (July 6) and up until his option date, is the time window  you are speaking. However, the contract becomes fully guaranteed on June 29.  I hope you see the issue.

Because the Hawks failed to trade Gallo before the Feb deadline and included him on the post season roster, there are only 2 options now.  1. Waive him before 6/29.

2. Trade him at full contract value.

Contract Notes:

• 2022 $5 million guaranteed, fully if not waived on or before 6/29/2022

The moratorium begins on July 1.  Now let me explain what I think you are suggesting.  No one traded now can be used this post season.  So what I think you're suggesting is someone could theoretically trade for Gallo at some point before the 29th (for salary matching, then waive him immediately to get the salary savings next year. I'm sure its happened or been attempted and its really early o'clock on a Sunday. I'm not even sure that's okay.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

To be more clear, the draft is after the guarantee date. I'm not sure I own a time machine any more.

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Clarifying that, lets speak in the context of NBA year and not calendar year. That phrase will confuse some. Once the finals end, there is a moratorium that once ended ends the accounting for the 2021-22 financial calendar year. From that timeframe ends (July 6) and up until his option date, is the time window  you are speaking. However, the contract becomes fully guaranteed on June 29.  I hope you see the issue.

Because the Hawks failed to trade Gallo before the Feb deadline and included him on the post season roster, there are only 2 options now.  1. Waive him before 6/29.

2. Trade him at full contract value.

Contract Notes:

• 2022 $5 million guaranteed, fully if not waived on or before 6/29/2022

The moratorium begins on July 1.  Now let me explain what I think you are suggesting.  No one traded now can be used this post season.  So what I think you're suggesting is someone could theoretically trade for Gallo at some point before the 29th (for salary matching, then waive him immediately to get the salary savings next year. I'm sure its happened or been attempted and its really early o'clock on a Sunday. I'm not even sure that's okay.

I would assume it is possible to extend the guarantee date, IF both parties agree to it? Although I know that is unlikely from Gallo's camp since it doesn't benefit him in any way. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So what I think you're suggesting is someone could theoretically trade for Gallo at some point before the 29th (for salary matching, then waive him immediately to get the salary savings next year. I'm sure its happened or been attempted and its really early o'clock on a Sunday. I'm not even sure that's okay.

I think I've seen this happen between teams not in the playoffs, or when a teams playoffs end, we've definitely seen in before draft day or during the draft. This year's draft is June 23rd. Gallo's guarantee date is June 29.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I would assume it is possible to extend the guarantee date, IF both parties agree to it? Although I know that is unlikely from Gallo's camp since it doesn't benefit him in any way. 

If he'll get his guaranteed $20 mil (from us or another team)......why not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If he'll get his guaranteed $20 mil (from us or another team)......why not?

Because it would actually make it less likely he would reach his guarantee date. If a team trades for him it is highly possible it would be a luxury tax team and they would do so in order to cut him and only have to eat $5M of salary instead of $21. 

The only way he guarantees himself he gets his $21M is if he doesn't extend the date. 

Edited by RandomFan

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think I've seen this happen between teams not in the playoffs, or when a teams playoffs end, we've definitely seen in before draft day or during the draft. This year's draft is June 23rd. Gallo's guarantee date is June 29.

Before the draft though is usually a delayed deal. A deal in principal.  The deal is typically finalized post moratorium.  Which is why draftees end up wearing the wrong hats. Any deals involving players typically are finalized post moratorium (which typically means player arrives a day or two late for summer league). Summer league pushed back this year so no issue.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Because it would actually make it less likely he would reach his guarantee date. If a team trades for him it is highly possible it would be a luxury tax team and they would do so in order to cut him and only have to eat $5M of salary instead of $21. 

The only way he guarantees himself he gets his $21M is if he doesn't extend the date. 

It could also be a team not in luxury tax this year but next year looking to cut future long term salary that would keep Gallo's $21 salary with the hopes of having his $21 mil as an expiring at next seasons trade deadline....but we know those don't always work that way (see Dragic this past year).

• Like 1